Disappointed that unaided finish doesn't let you claim Ukaizo for yourself

Eh, if you can't afford to rebuild Caed Nua you definitely can't afford to fortify Ukaizo. Even if your combat feats make you feel super awesome, you're not going to defend an island with 25 people.

• Like 5

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

The independent option in this game, because of the amount of control you have /don't have in this situation, is pretty much either the "I don't care what happens to the other people" option or the "I'd rather do this on my own than fall to doing something slimy /unethical for another power." On the second one that means even if it causes everyone to have to deal with the issues on their own.

So it makes sense that you can't take over Ukaizo. You don't have the resources or time, and it thematically doesn't really fit. You can't just win or take over everything by being a one man army in this game.

• Like 4

On the second one that means even if it causes everyone to have to deal with the issues on their own.

One could argue that the only thing worse than the balance of power in the Deadfire would be upsetting the balance of power in the Deadfire. I'm generally inclined to think that "super murderer uses murder superpowers to unilaterally decide the fate of the region" is an unhealthy solution to complex political issues.

So it makes sense that you can't take over Ukaizo. You don't have the resources or time, and it thematically doesn't really fit. You can't just win or take over everything by being a one man army in this game.

QFT. The Watcher is Good At Killing Dudes, but the VTC and the RDC and the Kahanga are imperial powers. You can screw with them, but any one of them could throw a functionally unlimited supply of bad dudes at you in order to rescue the president.

• Like 5

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Eh, if you can't afford to rebuild Caed Nua you definitely can't afford to fortify Ukaizo. Even if your combat feats make you feel super awesome, you're not going to defend an island with 25 people.

But I don't care about restoring it, and I only need the weather system to make it unapproachable.  As for the guardians, I have few ideas. 

In my personal ending:

Lost a castle, gained a city. I claimed Ukaizo in the name of the arcipelagus natives. The non-humanoid kind. 

To not repeat the errors from the past, we must ensure the world will grow stronger. I asked Eothas to reinforce Galawain. 

That nice underwater station? Still perfectly functional. Still in its place. In full work.

If they are open to it, I'll make a treaty with some of the factions to grant them a mostly safe passage through the sea. 

As long as they keep away from Ukaizo, I'll keep the tempests at bay. And the dragons, and the sea monsters. 

Mmh, I wonder if Llengrath would like to come to visit?

Fool proof? no, but my watcher would do it anyways. 

Edited by Suen
  • Like 2

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I guess I could see how that would happen?  That still seems like a stretch, and like it requires the Watcher to stick around and commit a lot of time and effort and resources, and I got the vibe that isn't the route the story is supposed to go.  That said, I get why it bugs you that your Watcher can't do what you think they should, and I wouldn't mind if there were non-cannon endings, so long as it was somehow clear that not all are non-cannon.

On the second one that means even if it causes everyone to have to deal with the issues on their own.

One could argue that the only thing worse than the balance of power in the Deadfire would be upsetting the balance of power in the Deadfire. I'm generally inclined to think that "super murderer uses murder superpowers to unilaterally decide the fate of the region" is an unhealthy solution to complex political issues.

Very good point! I think that's a totally valid perspective, and that general issue is brought up a good amount in-game.

Nah I don't like that idea at all. With all those factions trying to get there how would one Watcher with a small crew defend it? How to hold a position on an island with no natural resources?

Also what gkathellar said, it's a bad way to solve a complex situation.

• Like 3

Why the Watcher should solve their conflicts? 

If we are talking canon, this is the ending for the no faction:

"Ukaizo remains unclaimed, and Ofecchia Channel becomes the site of a near-constant battle as the Huana and the Rauataians vie for control of the unprotected island."

They cannot even take over an unprotected island. And this without the Watcher even trying to sow discord. 

Complete ending (from the wiki):

In reaching Ukaizo and facing Eothas, you have accomplished the impossible, and you have done it without the assistance of the great powers of Deadfire. Your feats capture the awe and imagination of a world that need heroes more than ever.

Some say your intervention prevented Eothas from a far worse act of destruction. Many believe you will be the salvation of Eora.

With each day, your legend grows.

As does the chaos in Deadfire.

Ukaizo remains unclaimed, and Ofecchia Channel becomes the site of a near-constant battle as the Huana and the Rauataians vie for control of the unprotected island.

The Rauataians rely on their cannons, and the Huana call forth massive waves and beasts of the deep to sink their foes.

And while they chip away at one another, the Vailians and the Príncipi pursue their own ends with increasing abandon.

Emboldened by their rivals' distraction, the Vailian Trading Company seizes territory and mines luminous adra at a startling pace. Huana villages are left at the mercy of unscrupulous speculators, and resource-rich islands are swarmed and stripped.

To support their operations, the Vailian Trading Company begins shipping ever greater quantities of supplies and luminous adra to and from the archipelago.

This attracts the attention of the Príncipi, who target these ships with increasing aggression. The promise of fat prizes draws even more pirates to their ranks.

The Rauataians - as well as the Huana - are too busy to stop them.

Edited by Suen

I've come to burn your kingdom down

The best thing would be to repair your ship, then turn the storms on again and hope you can get out of the mortar.

Then again, Ondra will probably think you've outlived your usefulness and will be happy to drown you to preserve a bunch of secrets.

• Like 3

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!