Keep the Ship Mechanic in Pillars 3 or Reuse the mechanics in a Pirate CRPG?

Keep the Ship Mechanic in Pillars 3 or Reuse the mechanics in a Pirate CRPG?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Continue to explore ships in Pillars 3.
    • Something new for Pillars 3, but also make a specifically Pirate-focused RPG.

If you want a new location for Pillars 3, something different enough from Deadfire. I feel like we'd have to give up the ships. But it's such a fantastic aspect to the game that I'd love to see it explored to it's ultimate conclusion in a manner that is more focused around those particular mechanics.

If it has to of those two options I'd definitely choose option two. I'd rather have any hypothetical PoE 3 be set mainly on a continent.

Furthermore, I feel Obsidian should entirely remove these mini-management systems. I feel they tend to be half-baked for the amount of work that has gone into them. I am fine with being an adventurer, I don't need to be a Lord, Captain, Guildmaster or any other organization head. If I need a management fix there are other games that do that far better.

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 5

I would like to have a Fortress in the bay of a continent, with the ship being a side-mechanic to explore side quests in small islands near the continent of PoE3. I already lost my Caed Nua, don't take my ship!

• Like 4

Currently Playing

• Pillars of Eternity
  • Morrowind
  • Stardew Valley

Future Play

• Deadfire
  • Oblivion
  • The Witcher

I honestly think it depends on what they'll be doing (if anything) with the next Pillars. If the setting is a place like Rauatai which - if I'm not mistaken - is also divided between a mainland and several peripheral islands, then keeping the ship as a stronghold is a good idea. However, if the idea is to follow the game in the Living Lands for example, I don't feel a ship would fit the setting all that much. In that case you could either make a "colony" you start building in the lands your stronghold, or, alternatively, the explorer's caravan that would follow you about as you delve deeper into the jungles and so on. Either of them would present some pretty logical and organic options for a base that you could upgrade and expand and improve and so on, within that particular setting. But again, it really falls down to what we're really looking at as a follow-up.

• Like 7

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Exploration in space or go home.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would like to have a Fortress in the bay of a continent, with the ship being a side-mechanic to explore side quests in small islands near the continent of PoE3. I already lost my Caed Nua, don't take my ship!

This sounds good. Maybe allow the player to choose exploring the coast with a boat or walking on the continent.

sign.jpg

If it has to of those two options I'd definitely choose option two. I'd rather have any hypothetical PoE 3 be set mainly on a continent.

Furthermore, I feel Obsidian should entirely remove these mini-management systems. I feel they tend to be half-baked for the amount of work that has gone into them. I am fine with being an adventurer, I don't need to be a Lord, Captain, Guildmaster or any other organization head. If I need a management fix there are other games that do that far better.

If my character is going to be a Lord, Captain, etc it would be nice to actually feel like one. So far, besides some annoying events, bandits have decided to attack your stronghold, and you've lost four buildings, or you didn't feed your crew so now they're in mutiny; those don't really capture the spirit of either role.

Didn't vote. 

I am lowkey in love with my crew of scavengers, misfits, drunkards and Little Leuca.  I would happily take them on more sea or even land based adventures. 

And since I like the ship combat, that could be as simple as more enemy watercraft and island events, or something even grander. 

The mechanics of future games is dependent on the needs of the plot. A harrowing voyage into the lands of the Stormfolk, or Nasitaaq  could certainly be fun. 

But if we're getting our Sherlock Holmes on in Urban Aedyr, then sailing will be much less important. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Pillars 3 clearly should have airships

While I need the affirmation of Josh to decide whether this fits the world, there is something mighty appealing about seeing Eora progress to having airships within the watcher's lifetime. This would be a fascinating exploration for an rpg. Just as long as they go more Jules Verne and less steampunk. Airships exploring the Living Lands might be my ideal Pillars 3.

I honestly think it depends on what they'll be doing (if anything) with the next Pillars. If the setting is a place like Rauatai which - if I'm not mistaken - is also divided between a mainland and several peripheral islands, then keeping the ship as a stronghold is a good idea. However, if the idea is to follow the game in the Living Lands for example, I don't feel a ship would fit the setting all that much. In that case you could either make a "colony" you start building in the lands your stronghold, or, alternatively, the explorer's caravan that would follow you about as you delve deeper into the jungles and so on. Either of them would present some pretty logical and organic options for a base that you could upgrade and expand and improve and so on, within that particular setting. But again, it really falls down to what we're really looking at as a follow-up.

I like the idea of a caravan.

• Like 2

Ehm. Just because I don't particularly want Pillars 3 to be ship focused doesn't mean I particularly care for Obsidian to make another game that is either. Bad poll :/

• Like 3

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Remove mini-management systems and sea combat, except camping system,It's feel like obsidian just waste a money to make trash. They should focus to make POE3 like classic crpg.

God forbid Obsidian tries something new and doesn't just copy/paste BG2.

• Like 3

We can have ships, but not as main focus.

And no pirate focus, please!

More dark fantasy with dragons, spells and magic beings.

^ Totally agree. 

-Maybe create your own small: dukedom / city, looks like in Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Like 1

Ehm. Just because I don't particularly want Pillars 3 to be ship focused doesn't mean I particularly care for Obsidian to make another game that is either. Bad poll :/

QFT. When someone asks you, "Would you like me to steal your car, or burn down your house?" the answer isn't one of the two, it's, "No."

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

God no... no more boats no... no more pirates. Go back to having a castle... or maybe a whole city.

For pillars 3 I want a ravenloft type world with lots of undead and an undead hunter paladin subclass like BG2

I love you! :wub:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Remove mini-management systems and sea combat, except camping system,It's feel like obsidian just waste a money to make trash. They should focus to make POE3 like classic crpg.

The problem is they've already set the precedent with Deadfire of tearing down mechanics/progression from the previous installment. I would expect combat and management systems to get overhauled (again) going into POE3.

Please, no more Sid Meier’s Pirates or any other Pirates of the Caribbean themed nonsense. If someone wanted to play a pirate-themed game, there are plenty of options. It’s fine to have a pirate-influenced, but too many resources are wasted on word-text pirate battles and mini-map shenanigans.

The devs must have loved the game Taipan!

• Like 2

Please, no more Sid Meier’s Pirates or any other Pirates of the Caribbean themed nonsense. If someone wanted to play a pirate-themed game, there are plenty of options. It’s fine to have a pirate-influenced, but too many resources are wasted on word-text pirate battles and mini-map shenanigans.

The devs must have loved the game Taipan!

Really? Where? Particularly RPGs there are NOT that many pirate-themed games. Its a very underutilised genre. So no, I want more. If you want to complain about overused themes complain about the standard fantasy fare. If you don't personally like pirates, fine, but don't dress it up as something else, just say you don't like pirates and want your tastes to take priority over all games made rather than just buying the ones you like.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

|__| = pirate game sales

|_________________________________| = fantasy rpg sales

There are plenty of games out there, they just don’t sell... for a reason. Furthermore, I don’t mind “pirate flavor,” but they should stop wasting dev resources on things that provide no value or synergy to the code library.

Pirate hats, swords, guns, even parrots add to the asset library. A mindless text game about shooting cannons is an asset that will find a short shelf life in any expansion or follow on game... unless they keep keep making pirate games, which will statistically be a bad financial decision.

• Like 1