Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SO MANY ISSUES. The game is UNPLAYABLE.

bugs crashing unplayable error issues help crash black screen bug fix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Mordred_Morghul

Mordred_Morghul

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

If you're running Windows, do you have it configured to boot on its own using something similar to Boot Camp or Parallels, or are you somehow running this in an emulated mode like with "GeForce Now"?

If it's the latter, it doesn't surprise me at all that there are compatibility issues.

I am not running windows. I use a Mac.

Well there's your problem.

• Manveru123 and Psychified like this

no1fanboy

no1fanboy

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts

your playing on a mac what do you expect

• Zelse likes this

Psychified

Psychified

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Steam:Psychified
  • Xbox Gamertag:Psychified

If you're running Windows, do you have it configured to boot on its own using something similar to Boot Camp or Parallels, or are you somehow running this in an emulated mode like with "GeForce Now"?

If it's the latter, it doesn't surprise me at all that there are compatibility issues.

I may be confused here, but if you say you've got the PC version of PoE 2, how is it you're not running Windows?  That was the purpose of my first question, whether you're running Windows from Boot Camp or not.

If you're actually running the Mac version of PoE 2, then we're back to my original advice:  since you're trying to run this on the bare minimum specs for Mac, that's probably why it's not running right.  Remember that running the PC version of this game on its bare minimum requirements is causing all sorts of problems ranging from... well, let's just say they're similar to your problems.

One last question:  you also claimed that you've got a "NEW IMAC, NEW NEW NEW", but your own specs screenshot indicates the unit was made in 2013.  Uh, that's not new...

Hm, you know that is a good question. I bought this Mac 4 months ago. New according to amazon. I had no idea. You can tell how computer savvy I am. My reasoning is that if you've developed a game meeting those minimum requirements should be enough to actually be able to play the game. Thank you for pointing that Mac error out I'm not a happy camper right now. I am using the Mac version, not the windows version. Also, if the developer is going to sell a game at this price and claim the minimum requirements for that game are enough, but the game doesn't run, then give me my money back. I want to play this game. It's the PRINCIPLE of it. It doesn't work. Just give me my 60$. That 60$ refund isn't going to hurt Obsidian. Seriously.

To be honest, I would see about returning the Mac if it's still possible (I think Amazon gives you up to 3 months for certain hardware? I know I once returned something around 4 months after purchase and all it took was a chat with one of their reps). Apple got some flak recently for not having updated its iMac line in years and continuing to sell machines with outdated specs as "new". You could have a high end gaming rig for that kind of money.

As for Deadfire, I would contact Obsdian technical support directly as Gfted1 said. If the game doesn't run, I'm sure someone will make it right if you get into contact with a real person.

Steam finally looked at all my files and gave me a refund. I had no idea about the iMacs and the return policy was only 90 days. I emailed obsidian support five days ago an no response, so. I got my money back now on to a different game.

Psychified

Psychified

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

To be honest, I would see about returning the Mac if it's still possible (I think Amazon gives you up to 3 months for certain hardware? I know I once returned something around 4 months after purchase and all it took was a chat with one of their reps). Apple got some flak recently for not having updated its iMac line in years and continuing to sell machines with outdated specs as "new".

That's the Mac Mini and Pro, not iMac, which have new versions. If a 2013 iMac is listed as "new" on Amazon, that's on Amazon or the third party seller. 

OP, did you ever try running the game in its own fresh user directory? That's a good troubleshooting step.

No but it's too late now, steam finally came through with a refund. But thank you!

Psychified

Psychified

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

Man why so many Mac haters lol

Edited by Psychified, 11 July 2018 - 06:49 AM.

Mordred_Morghul

Mordred_Morghul

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts

To be fair, I don't hate Macs, they have their very specialized uses. Macs are the best, hands down, for music composition and audio recording software. However, because of Steve Jobs' monopolistic fantasies, they don't play nice with other, non-Apple, technologies. They are designed that way on purpose. So, when you have software that needs to work with the most possible arrangement of hardware (video games as one example), Macs have a hard time. Developers have to go out of their way to design Mac friendly coding and programming to make a separate version of the game that will run on a Mac. Imagine Sony's stranglehold on their servers that prevents Playstation from having cross platform play. Now Imagine that paradigm being the whole company. Games set to release on all (or most) consoles would need a whole separate, designed from the ground up, version to even run decently on a Playstation, while the other versions could be practically identical (PC requires some additional work). Playstation would go out of business. Developers already have to contend with the special treatment games need to run well on a PC, and we've seen what happens when a port is mishandled again and again. Most developers, at the end of the day, do not have the resources and/or desire to design a wholly separate version of the game to work on a proprietary monopolistic platform not designed or popularly used for gaming. It is simply a huge money loss.

So while my comment was admittedly sarcastic (sarcasm is my first language), It was also factual. If you are playing a game on a Mac and there are problems (especially problems that users on other platforms are not having), 99% of the time it is because you are using a Mac.

• Crispy81 and Psychified like this

Purudaya

Purudaya

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 377 posts

It's mainly the closed ecosystem, lack of innovation, price-for-what-you-get, and user-hostile design decisions. But to each their own - they're certainly reliable devices. For me, there's no reason to get an iMac when you could build a state of the art gaming rig for far less, just like there's no reason to buy a MacBook pro if you can buy a Surface Book 2 with an 8th gen processor, GTX 1050-60, and convertible form factor for roughly the same price. 

Of course, the thing that really drives me crazy is that Apple will appropriate one of the latter features next year and be hailed by the media as if they invented it in the first place ;)

Psychified

Psychified

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts

To be fair, I don't hate Macs, they have their very specialized uses. Macs are the best, hands down, for music composition and audio recording software. However, because of Steve Jobs' monopolistic fantasies, they don't play nice with other, non-Apple, technologies. They are designed that way on purpose. So, when you have software that needs to work with the most possible arrangement of hardware (video games as one example), Macs have a hard time. Developers have to go out of their way to design Mac friendly coding and programming to make a separate version of the game that will run on a Mac. Imagine Sony's stranglehold on their servers that prevents Playstation from having cross platform play. Now Imagine that paradigm being the whole company. Games set to release on all (or most) consoles would need a whole separate, designed from the ground up, version to even run decently on a Playstation, while the other versions could be practically identical (PC requires some additional work). Playstation would go out of business. Developers already have to contend with the special treatment games need to run well on a PC, and we've seen what happens when a port is mishandled again and again. Most developers, at the end of the day, do not have the resources and/or desire to design a wholly separate version of the game to work on a proprietary monopolistic platform not designed or popularly used for gaming. It is simply a huge money loss.

So while my comment was admittedly sarcastic (sarcasm is my first language), It was also factual. If you are playing a game on a Mac and there are problems (especially problems that users on other platforms are not having), 99% of the time it is because you are using a Mac.

Thank you for the info I’m not a big pc gamer, I stick with the PS4 and Xbox but want d to try this game and just didn’t realize all the technicalities of mac windows blah blah. I am not a computer genius by any means lol thank you

jlee

jlee

QA Tester

• Developers
  • 468 posts

Hi all,

First off, I'd like to sincerely apologize to you all, especially Psychified for the late replies. I've been away for the past few days and am catching up with as many issues posted from all sources as best I can. In reading this post, I'd like to thank all of you that have responded to Psyhcified's posts and am very happy to see members of our community reaching out to help each other. That being said, I'll try to get things back on track as soon as I am able to.

@Psychified As for this Mac issue, we are still very much interested in getting your output logs and investigating the issue. I believe I posted the directions to the Steam forums about sending us your files in my reply to your original post, but here they are again:

The steps to accessing your output log are as follows:

1. Right Click the Finder App
2. Select "Go to Folder"
3. Type ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log as the path and click Go
4. Your Player.log file is stored here

The steps to accessing your save files are as follows:

1. Right click the Finder App
2. Select "Go to Folder"
3. Type ~/Library/Application Support/Pillars of Eternity/Saved Games as the path and click Go
4. Your save files are stored there

You can either provide us a link with all of your files in your reply here

OR

You can email us and attach your Player.log file to support@obsidian.net along with your screenshot of your machine specs and one of your save files.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bugs, crashing, unplayable, error, issues, help, crash, black screen, bug, fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users