[Release] Vindictive Faction Ship Battles (Now upgraded to v4.0)

Anyone else having problems getting Whenena Eel's Kiss to drop Akola's Apex Ward? I can see it on her during the fight but don't get it as loot afterwards. Just consoled it to myself after but that feels like cheating...

Seems to be a bug in the vanilla game right now.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

Yeah I assumed it was the game not the mod. I know I've heard people complaining that Fyrgrist doesn't drop Kapana Taga, probably the same thing. Makes me suspicious though that the Rauatai ship doesn't drop anything, wonder if there's something else we're not getting. Akola's was easy to fix since I knew what I was supposed to get but I don't even know what would come from the Rauatai if anything is supposed to.

Anyone else having problems getting Whenena Eel's Kiss to drop Akola's Apex Ward? I can see it on her during the fight but don't get it as loot afterwards. Just consoled it to myself after but that feels like cheating...

There's something going on with the base game where the lootlist isn't always being fully generated on some fights with ships in combat mode (as opposed to ship to ship mode).  This is happening in a couple of other ship fights outside of this mod as well, IIRC.

Nothing I can do about it, I'm afraid.  I did try to look over the code in items.gamedatabundle, as well as the other data bundles called during ship battles, when I first created this mod coz it was bugging me then, but nothing stood out to me as being a likely culprit.

One of these days I might try another crack at tracking it down, but I'm fairly certain it's outside of my control.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire

One suggestion for an alternate trigger:

One nice tweak would be if these faction ships appeared on the map after you had killed all other named faction ships of that faction. i.e., kill all the named Valian ships the Vailian enemy appears, etc. That way it would fit roleplay, would avoid the "ganging up on low level players" thing, and wouldn't run off an artificial construct like level etc. but would instead have a narrative justification in game.

That's an interesting idea and one I'll think about.  Not really doing much with Deadfire in the last couple of weeks, but it might be possible.  It'd be a pretty lengthy conditional call, and conditional calls are one of the things I am least certain about when it comes to modding.  I know HOW to do some calls, but I don't know WHY they work (which means I often resort to trial and error).  Still haven't quite figured out the difference between 'all of the conditions in a call must succeed' for a call to succeed versus 'only one of the conditions in a call must succeed' for a call to succeed. 

So, yeah.  Good idea.  Not sure when I'd get the chance to try to code it up though or look at it to see how annoying it would be to code.  Maybe this weekend?  I'll try to look into it soon, regardless. :)

If I do it, it'd probably be as a variant for folks who want a more 'immersive' flavor of the mod.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...