[PotD Character Build] Sage v.2 "Lancer of Galawain" or "Diarmuid Ua Duibhne"

Hello all, 

So, I posted a more ranged artillery focused variant of a Sage build to the forums a little while ago, but then Boeroar informed me of the synergy that existed between Sage and Citzal's Spirit Lance, especially with Monk's many Primary Attack Wound abilities. So, I decided to try my hand at making such a build for myself. 

This build eschews some, but not all, of the min/max in my ranged-focused Sage build for a hopefully more balanced approach. I can no longer hit 30 Might/30 Intellect, but I make up for that with more survivability through defensive magic and Constitution. Rather than being a ranged artillery, the Lancer of Galawain is intended as a frontline DPS character, albeit not as a tank, who can flank with Eder and Pallegina. 

Blessings: +2 Attributes/+2 Skills/5000 Starting Gold/Possibly Fine Equipment

Race: Nature Godlike

Class: Shattered Pillar/No Subclass Wizard

Faction: VTC or RDC (Apparently Atsura and Castol are both awesome. Will have to see) 

Culture/Background: Deadfire/Aristocrat (Aristocrat not only gives more dialogue options, it also gives a bonus to the conversational skills that this build is otherwise sorely lacking in)

Skill Focus:  Athletics and Arcana (Active)/Metaphysics and Diplomacy (Passives) - Athletics is taken up to 6 for clearing all of the Watcher Only checks that take it, and then Arcana is boosted for scrolls. Diplomacy and Metaphysics for handling conversations/picking up on additional arcane solutions to problems that a high Intellect can't manage on its own. 

Party: Eder (Swashbuckler) MT - Mechanics and Stealth/Streetwise and Survival, Pallegina (Herald) MT - Athletics and Arcana/Intimidate and History, Ydwin (Mindstalker) Mechanics and Explosives/Streetwise and Metaphysics, Xoti (Priest) Alchemy and Arcana/Religion and Insight

Stats with all bonuses factored in 

14 Might (10 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing +1 Gift of the Machine +1 Permanent Stat boost Potion)

14 Constitution (12 Base + 2 Berath's Blessing)
18 Dexterity (13 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Deadfire Archipelago +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
20 Perception (18 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 
20 Intellect (16 Base +1 Nature Godlike +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Chameleon's Touch) 
8 Resolve (6 Base +2 Berath's Blessing) 

Abilities at each level

Primary Grimoire - Llengrath's Martial Masteries

Level 1 - Swift Strikes/Eldritch Aim

Level 2 - Lesser Wounds

Level 3 - Force of Anguish

Level 4 - Two-Handed Fighting/Merciless Gaze

Level 5 - Mirrored Image

Level 6 - Dance of Death

Level 7 - Swift Flurry/Combat Focus

Level 8 - Torment's Reach

Level 9 - Stunning Blow

Level 10 - Arcane Dampener/Thunderous Blows

Level 11 - Rooting Pain

Level 12 - Enduring Dance

Level 13 - Stunning Surge/Rapid Casting

Level 14 - Enervating Blows

Level 15 - Raised Torment

Level 16 - Martial Caster/Flagellant's Path

Level 17 - Improved Critical

Level 18 - Soul Mirror

Level 19 - Heartbeat Drumming/Wall of Draining

Level 20 - Skyward Kick

Gear: 

Weapon Proficiencies - Pike, Fists. 

Pet: Cutthroat Cosmo for the recovery reduction

Weapons: "Citzal's Spirit Lance" is going to be the primary method of attacking once you get it, but other good weapons to consider are Pukestabber/Cadhu Scaith (For mid-to-late game). Consider taking Two-Weapon Fighting early on for the attack speed boost, but switching to Two-handed style when you're able to make more use of the Spirit Lance. Also, bear in mind that dual wielding as a Monk Primary martial class really isn't as desirable as with other classes, because Monk doesn't have as many good Full Attack options. 

Armor: Miscreant's Leathers or Devil of Caroc Breastplate - Miscreant's Leathers offers decent armor bonuses at little to no recovery time with Cutthroat Cosmo active. DoC doesn't, but it has some nice enchantments that grant resistance to some nasty afflictions. I'd go with Miscreant's personally considering the fact that you get it super early... and plus it actually looks really stylish. Plus the 5% chance to just flat out ignore an attack is pretty nice, too. Even if it doesn't proc often, it'll proc at some point and might save your neck. 

Helm: Who needs a helm when you're a Godlike? Let those glorious horns/facial tumors show! 

Rings: Ring of Greater Regeneration/Chameleon's Touch - RoGR helps keep you alive, and Chameleon's Touch grants +1 Dex/+1 Int as well as bonuses to both Arcana and Metaphysics. Chameleon's Touch is a staple of a lot of my builds because it's obtainable early on, albeit it requires a pretty tough bounty. 

Cloak: Not a lot of good unique cloak options. I'd settle for a Cloak of Greater Protection (+10 to all Defenses except for Deflection. Your Deflection should be high enough with the spells you'll be using, plus this shores up your poor Fortitude. 

Gloves: Mortification Bindings - +2  extra class resource for more Stunning Blows/Swift Flurries. It essentially gives you the Soul Fragment aspect of the DoC Breastplate for this build. 

Belt: Gwyn's Bridal Garter - +1 Constitution, as well as Resistance to Dexterity Afflictions. 

Boots: Not really sure here. My default is Boots of the Stone for the Resolve resistance, but I'd like to hear other suggestions as to what would be good for a build like this. 

And that about covers it! Of the two Sage builds I've posted, I'm a little more pleased with how this one turned out. While relying on a single spell is more boring, compared to the evocation focused artillery of the previous build, not having to aim spells around party members is definitely a plus. Furthermore, this feels much more like a merger of the two classes, boasting an equal amount of Wizard and Monk abilities, rather than being a pure Evoker build with a few token Monk abilities included. 

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the two builds, especially having seen both of them. I'd also love to hear suggestions for other belt and boot options, if such are available. In general, if people have played with both sorts of Wizards, I'd love to hear your thoughts on which was more fun to play in general, Helwalker Evoker or Shattered Pillar Spirit Lancer. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

I avoid Monk anything at the moment since it is so overpowered. That being said, Helwalker for the win...

I like Shattered Pillar because it promotes more of a Wound spending playstyle, which is part of this build. Plus, with Citzal's Spirit Lance and attack speed from Dexterity, you don't really need ridiculous amounts of Might. 

• 4 months later...

Hello! 

Is this Build still viable in 4.0? Would Bloodmage now be the 'go-to' Wizard option? Or is the drawback of the Bloodmage (less defense against bloodied enemies) to much of a drawback?

Since Bloodmage provides an easy way to gain wounds is the Helwalker the stronger option over Shattered Pillar? (though with Helwalker we would need to spend action on damaging ourselfs - is that worth it?)

Thank you all for your time! :)

Hello! 

Is this Build still viable in 4.0? Would Bloodmage now be the 'go-to' Wizard option? Or is the drawback of the Bloodmage (less defense against bloodied enemies) to much of a drawback?

Since Bloodmage provides an easy way to gain wounds is the Helwalker the stronger option over Shattered Pillar? (though with Helwalker we would need to spend action on damaging ourselfs - is that worth it?)

Wizard/Monk (and Wizard/Fighter) are still excellent classes and nothing has really changed in regards to this build (it was written after the major nerfs, iirc), so it'll work just fine.

While Bloodmage is looking excellent right now, we should wait until the final ptr tuning patch before making any real builds. It might very well change.

Monk subclass has always been a playstyle choice. Shattered Pillar is the easiest and least annoying subclass to play. While it's usually weaker than the other two subclasses, it does have amazing synergy with Spirit Lance's aoe damage. They all have their own advantages, so... pick the one you want to play.

Hello! 

Wizard/Monk (and Wizard/Fighter) are still excellent classes and nothing has really changed in regards to this build (it was written after the major nerfs, iirc), so it'll work just fine.

While Bloodmage is looking excellent right now, we should wait until the final ptr tuning patch before making any real builds. It might very well change.

Monk subclass has always been a playstyle choice. Shattered Pillar is the easiest and least annoying subclass to play. While it's usually weaker than the other two subclasses, it does have amazing synergy with Spirit Lance's aoe damage. They all have their own advantages, so... pick the one you want to play.

Thank you! :)

Is there an argument that Paladin/Wiz is better for this approach to using Mage buffs and spirit lance as it is potentially easier to reach 195+ will defense (to defeat Arcane Damper) without external buffs?  I suppose Sage can just cast Circle of Protection from a scroll if standing still ... still, Pally perhaps has more tools to help with damage / afflicition recovery.  FoD applied in aoe with lance, too.  Thoughts?

Is there an argument that Paladin/Wiz is better for this approach to using Mage buffs and spirit lance as it is potentially easier to reach 195+ will defense (to defeat Arcane Damper) without external buffs?  I suppose Sage can just cast Circle of Protection from a scroll if standing still ... still, Pally perhaps has more tools to help with damage / afflicition recovery.  FoD applied in aoe with lance, too.  Thoughts?

Wiz/Pala is the most defensive of the Citzal builds, almost unhittable with the buffs, but it really loses out in damage to both Monk and Fighter versions. And don't underestimate spammable AoE stun/cc. Paladin's only real offensive option is FoD, which is great at level 1, but your build doesn't come online until Spirit Lance, and you get access to the Monk and Fighter goodies around that level.

Paladin is better for strictly anti-Dampener, and a super tanky version, but for a general build or Spirit Lance synergy, the other two are better options. Seriously, aoe/repeat attacks + Spirit Lance = utter carnage.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using a variant of this that takes no wizard spells at all during level-up and instead relies entirely on Llengrath's grimoire.

This frees up the points for Monk abilities and passives. The only problem it really has is with pierce resistance in which case I just use the fists.

In answer to the boots question, I like Bounding Boots to get the Leap ability from the Barbarian tree - it applies a decent-radius AoE daze affliction and makes it magnificently easy to get your lancer into perfect position, or leap out of the fight if things get sticky.

Nature godlike works really well due to the fact that the sage is almost always buffed, but there is an argument for a non-godlike with Helm of The Falcon to reduce the recovery time even more.