Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Finally some sales evidence

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

grasida

grasida

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
I wouldn’t go to Final Fantasy as an example of how to build a creative, different, but popular setting. First of all, as a point of historical interest, the original Final Fantasy was a Dungeons and Dragons campaign with some different mechanics and with the serial number filed off. It has elves and dwarves, as well as mindflayers and beholders (renamed in the English release). Of course, it also has space stations and robots armed with nuclear weapons, so the imitation only goes so far. Regardless, the series clearly moved on from imitating traditional western fantasy, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not based on it’s own set of easily accessible cliches. Anime and Manga is to Final Fantasy what Dungeons and Dragons is to western RPGs. Final Fantasy games don’t demand all that much from the player, everyone going into one pretty much knows what to expect and will feel solidly within their comfort zone.

People who don’t like certain aspects of the game, or who just like to post negative rants online, feel vindicated by the poor sales. But there are plenty of people in the thread saying that Deadfire will be remembered as a great RPG for a long time, in spite of the sales numbers.

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts

tbh final fantasy's gone strange from XII onward and - tellingly - thats happened alongside a relative decline in its popularity.

XII was an attempt at a western style RPG.

XIII was aggressively bare bones then took a sharp left term into chaos with attempts at myth-making.

XV looked west again and tried to incorporate sandbox elements.

like i understand why u brought it up as an example as something staying the same. the formula set by FFIV survived right through until FFX. but the series has been floundering for an identity for many years. FFXII is 12 years old - i think u could predict more accurately what PoE would do next than you could final fantasy.

also fwiw id say the original final fantasy was based on wizardry via dragon quest, not d&d directly.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1709 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

like i understand why u brought it up as an example as something staying the same. the formula set by FFIV survived right through until FFX. but the series has been floundering for an identity for many years. FFXII is 12 years old - i think u could predict more accurately what PoE would do next than you could final fantasy.

Wow, 12 years? That is how long I haven't cared about FF. I quit FFXII because I didn't save often enough and I did something bad that would require me to replay many hours. But the truth is that I didn't care much anymore.

Edited by InsaneCommander, Yesterday, 07:55 PM.

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
So i just spoke to one of my old buddies who also enjoys playing CRPGs. I asked him if he had played deadfire and he said this:

“ No i havent purchased the game and I probably wont end up purchasing it. I dont see the point in buying the game because you have to start all over again at level 1 just like i did in POE1. In the baldurs gate series i was able to continue advancing my character after he hit the level 9 level cap In bg1 and then continue to advance him to around level 20 in bg2. I watched youtube videos of game reviewers reviewing deadfire and was very dissapointed to see that obsidian just mostly used the same spells and abilities from poe1 in poe2. So what is the point in starting all over again at level 1 and using all the same spells and abilities all over again”

Triple - A Foxy Lad

Triple - A Foxy Lad

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
Ye i think everyone stopped playing pokemon for the same reason. Whats the point in levelling up pikachu from lv 1 for twenty games running.

Psychovampiric Shield

Psychovampiric Shield

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 88 posts

So i just spoke to one of my old buddies who also enjoys playing CRPGs. I asked him if he had played deadfire and he said this:

“ No i havent purchased the game and I probably wont end up purchasing it. I dont see the point in buying the game because you have to start all over again at level 1 just like i did in POE1. In the baldurs gate series i was able to continue advancing my character after he hit the level 9 level cap In bg1 and then continue to advance him to around level 20 in bg2. I watched youtube videos of game reviewers reviewing deadfire and was very dissapointed to see that obsidian just mostly used the same spells and abilities from poe1 in poe2. So what is the point in starting all over again at level 1 and using all the same spells and abilities all over again”

Looks like he has been badly misled by youtubers, because though spells/abilities are often "the same", or seem so, PoE 2 differs from 1 quite substantially (unlike in case of BG1/2, let alone their EE versions). If that the only beef he has with Deadfire, he can buy it, no worries.

Anyway, I would prefer starting from level 1 even if it did not differ, because RPG systems invariantly work best at lower levels and only get worse the further one progresses, so I am happy with Deadfire not mimicking BG2.

• kanisatha and Mirandel like this

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Looks like he has been badly misled by youtubers, because though spells/abilities are often "the same", or seem so, PoE 2 differs from 1 quite substantially (unlike in case of BG1/2, let alone their EE versions). If that the only beef he has with Deadfire, he can buy it, no worries.

Anyway, I would prefer starting from level 1 even if it did not differ, because RPG systems invariantly work best at lower levels and only get worse the further one progresses, so I am happy with Deadfire not mimicking BG2.

^This. Plus PoE1 took us well beyond level 9 in comparison with BG1, so in effect PoE1 did what BG1 and 2 combined did from a levels standpoint.

One additional thing that I feel is important to this discussion is that Obs specifically did NOT title PoE2 as "PoE2". That is how we're talking about the game in these forums, but there is no "2" in the title of the game. So the proper way to look at the game is that it is a completely new game relative to PoE1 and you really don't need to have played 1 to enjoy 2.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users