Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Finally some sales evidence

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

kanisatha

kanisatha

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's pretty clear to me that the dismal sales numbers for PoE2 must have played a significant role in convincing OE's owners to sell to MS. I would not be surprised if, given just how dismal those sales numbers truly are (I would even use the word catastrophic), OE was once again facing a very grim financial outlook.

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Marketing game was really weak from Paradox, and the damage was already done when Versus Evil was taking over. Coupled with sequel syndrome, it's all the more necessary to sell people on jumping in new for the second game.

MS will actually give Obs a budget to get their vision of an rpg into the hearts and minds of people.

They have Obs's tech along with the devs that learned the same tech over on InXile. I don't think iso-crpg is dead just yet. Plus Obsidian has been maintaining multiple teams, they are more than capable of balancing a AAA alongside passion projects.

Here's my own daydream: Obsidian splits into teams, one team keeps mass producing generic fantasy cookie cutter "Skyrim-like" AAAs for profit so that another team be free to make original, inspired things of their dreams.  :yes:

• juanval likes this

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

There is a thread on the RPG codex site where people have confirmed that the staff at Obsidian who have "left" where in fact fired because Deadfire didnt make sales targets. 

If you read through the thread you will also see numerous posts removed at the request of Obsidian's lawyers sending letters of demand to remove the posts. 

And yes one would assume Obsidian would be struggling to pay the bills atm hence the Microsoft buyout. Miscrosft will be getting a bargain here.

I said that before deadfire was launched its success would hinge on whether or not the story was immersive. Deadfires story was absolutely not immersive. IMO the fault lays completely with the narrative designers

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 12964 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

[...]where people have confirmed[...]

Who were those people?

I said that before deadfire was launched [...]

You joined after release.

Edited by Boeroer, Today, 04:30 AM.

• Mannock, AwesomeOcelot, anameforobsidian and 7 others like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1301 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

nvm

Edited by algroth, Today, 04:37 AM.

Mannock

Mannock

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I said that before deadfire was launched its success would hinge on whether or not the story was immersive. Deadfires story was absolutely not immersive. IMO the fault lays completely with the narrative designers

I hardly think it was one (1) thing that sank Deadfire. Personally I found Deadfire superior to PoE in all aspects and I can't really grasp how it was able to sell less than its predecessor.

It's sad though. Whatever comes next from Obsidian, it probably will be stuff catered to the Xbox and chances are I won't care for it.
  • Hassat Hunter, IndiraLightfoot, thelee and 2 others like this

wih

wih

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 172 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm starting to think that making PoE 2 a direct sequel was probably a mistake. It says to the potential new players: Don't buy PoE 2, buy PoE 1 instead. (and POE 1 is on sale, so no big money for Obsidian).

DoS 2 wasn't a direct sequel so people weren't afraid they won't understand the story if they skip DoS 1.

Also these RPGs are big. People buy PoE 1, then months pass before they finish it. Most don't even finish it.

PoE 2 should have been either a prequel or set fifty years after PoE 1 events.

• thelee likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1978 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

There is a thread on the RPG codex site where people have confirmed that the staff at Obsidian who have "left" where in fact fired because Deadfire didnt make sales targets. 

If you read through the thread you will also see numerous posts removed at the request of Obsidian's lawyers sending letters of demand to remove the posts.

Which thread would this actually be? Only thing I've heard is that the Director of Marketing was fired due to sales, this was a clause in his contract even.

• thelee likes this

Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Cynic of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

... immersive ...

I don't think that word means what you think it means.

bugarup

bugarup

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Eh, I'm pretty sure bazoopa is the Next Iteration (does its accounts get banned or does it simply like to start over (and over and over again)? Just curious), so it's safe to disregard its opinions about, well, everything.

house2fly

house2fly

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 859 posts

I wouldn't mind seeing these posts that were removed due to legal threats; so far as I know nothing like that has happened

Psychovampiric Shield

Psychovampiric Shield

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 82 posts

I'm starting to think that making PoE 2 a direct sequel was probably a mistake. It says to the potential new players: Don't buy PoE 2, buy PoE 1 instead. (and POE 1 is on sale, so no big money for Obsidian).

DoS 2 wasn't a direct sequel so people weren't afraid they won't understand the story if they skip DoS 1.

Also these RPGs are big. People buy PoE 1, then months pass before they finish it. Most don't even finish it.

PoE 2 should have been either a prequel or set fifty years after PoE 1 events.

That  fifty years after variant would be optimal, because some characters could be still alive by then (Aloth almost certainly), so there would be some, but not too much continuity.

EDIT: ironically, also certain character that was dead by the time of Deadfire events could possibly be alive and adventure-worthy fifty years later.

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield, Today, 11:03 AM.

thelee

thelee

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 942 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Which thread would this actually be? Only thing I've heard is that the Director of Marketing was fired due to sales, this was a clause in his contract even.

I mean, given how relatively little buzz there has been about Deadfire, firing the director of marketing seems completely correct.

glennjones130486

glennjones130486

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't doubt that mistakes were with marketing Deadfire, but I would be cautious before laying all blame at their feet.

Sometimes, you can do everything you're supposed to, and still not succeed. Conversely, you can make every mistake in the book, and still come out on top. I can't help but think of 2016 US presidential election...

I like some of the proposed ideas here, but I think some of the proposed changes would be a serious mistake. If it gets the greenlight, then the next (final?) Pillars game should adhere to the following guidelines:

- it should be Pillars of Eternity III: Subtitle (e.g. "The Last God", "Eternity's End", "Final Rest", "Sleep for the Watcher"), not a prequel or "Pillars Tactics" or "Pillars Mobile"

- it should import the current character, the Watcher of Caed Nua

- it should conclude the Watcher's story in a satisfying way, but it can leave open the possibility of new games, with new characters, that are set in Eora

- it should avoid all of the mistakes made by the Mass Effect 3 ending

- it should be RTwP, same as Pillars 1 and Deadfire

- it should reuse the same graphics engine, assets, and general mechanics (please don't reinvent the wheel yet again!)

- it should introduce a new location, like the previous entries, but it would be great to surprise players with visits to some iconic locations from previous games

----------------------------------

e.g.

Caed Nua

Durgan's Battery

Spoiler

----------------------------------

I think Obsidian probably would follow all of these guidelines for another game, the real question is whether they will have an opportunity to make it after Deadfire's commercial failure :(

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1687 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I said that before deadfire was launched [...]

You joined after release.

Eh, I'm pretty sure bazoopa is the Next Iteration (does its accounts get banned or does it simply like to start over (and over and over again)? Just curious), so it's safe to disregard its opinions about, well, everything.

I think the newest one created another thread recently.

-dib-

-dib-

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

please don't reinvent the wheel yet again!

Wouldn't that be the whole plot though?

house2fly

house2fly

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 859 posts

Lol, though I agree that they should reuse everything they have rather than starting from scratch again. I wouldn't mind some performance improvements, but other than that Deadfire's graphics and gameplay systems are p much good to go. More chance of avoiding bugs with familiar tech as well

bigbazoopa

bigbazoopa

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

Well Pathfinder Kingmaker is still going strong on the steam charts. Currently as we speak it is sitting on page 4 of the top sellers prior to this it was on the first page for a long time. Deadfire dropped right off the charts as soon as it was released. The popularity and unbelievable success of Kingmaker shows that the market is not fatigued with RTWP RPGS. 

The salient facts are that people where put off buying deadfire. These are facts. On the codex forum Fig investors have claimed that deadfire currently has only sold around 150k copies (not including backers copies) and a large portion of those sales where made when the game was discounted 30%. Deadfire cost $14,000,000 to produce with roughly $2,000,000 gifted towards that as a backer money and another $2,000,000 loaned as a debt instrument from fig investors. This is a Catastrophic financial failure that appears to have sunk the company hence the Microsoft buyout. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users