Do you enjoy PoE and want an end for the trilogy? Well you better hope it sells well or it might get canned.

If you're a backer then you want it to sell well.

It's pretty basic really, sequels are canned all the time for low sales and people want a return on investment.

Edited by Verde

I don't much care about sequels, but if it had sold better they might have put more resources into the DLCs and patches. They might even have done a "director's cut" which addressed some issues with the story, maybe expanded some areas and dialogue. As it is, they patched in an impressive amount of new stuff and I have no complaints about the DLCs, but there are bugs that won't be fixed because they can't justify still working on a game past a certain point, due to sales.

Do you enjoy PoE and want an end for the trilogy? Well you better hope it sells well or it might get canned.

Where is it implied that we're talking about a trilogy? As far as I know, nowhere.

Trilogy, sequel. Semantics.

Where is it implied that we're talking about a trilogy? As far as I know, nowhere.

There's a bit of a default expectation that a computer game series will be a trilogy- the typical life of a hardware and software cycle usually allows for production of 3 games on the same engine, and economies of scale, reuse of assets and familiarity with the technology allows for quicker and cheaper (theoretically) production of sequels. People also get attached to characters and want to see them further.

If all other things were equal and sales were sufficient I'd expect there would be a PoE3, and that being the end for the watcher character and series (but not setting). The MS buyout and Deadfire not meeting expectations may change that, at least the stories for PoE and Deadfire were self contained.

is it case of worrying "If it doesn't sell well enough, we won't see more products like it!"?

that's the boat i'm in.

real-time with pause RPGs have been my favorite subgenre since they landed in the 90s, and I want there to be market support to keep generating them at volume.

also, I think the big impetus for a lot of this commentary initially was because of fig shares dividends, so people were expecting to get their money back and then some (and now it looks like they'll never get their money back).