Hope the resources from MS will allow the team to make improvements in the months to come w. the big DLC, and patch 4.0 e.t.c.

Given how a huge organization like MS generally works, it sounds unlikely that they would allocate any resources at all to a project that is performing so poorly as Deadfire apparently is. Thus, the MS acquisition likely puts an end to the whole thing.

Naturally, I will be very happy to be proven wrong.

Well, my hopes are on that Deadfire is kinda Work in Progress with a timeline of future releases announced. They will be done anyways, so, why don't make them good?  :luck:

Hey, you wanna hear a good joke?

Nobody speak, nobody get choked

Why would they be done anyways? It's a niche market which didn't really have any titles worth mentioning between Baldur's Gate II and PoE1. That's 15 years.

All the other Infinity games and them enhanced editions? Neverwinter Nights? Dragon Age? Knights of the Old Republic? It wasn't all that empty for ~18 years.

Not completing what's announced would be a total **** move to start a relation with the audience. Just watch how'd I support future products after that. =)

Sure, it depends on what you regard as titles worth mentioning. I have never seen KOTOR, but the other two aren't worth mentioning, in my view. This is subjective, of course.

I'm sure they'll complete the third DLC and the next patch, but has anything more than that been announced? I haven't heard of anything.

Edited by xzar_monty

I'm sure they'll complete the third DLC and the next patch, but has anything more than that been announced? I haven't heard of anything.

That is a good question. The "more to come" is not necessarily anything big. Maybe another free dlc and an extra megaboss. I imagine MS will probably want them to start working on something else soon, even if that is their unannounced project. Once the third DLC is released, they can continue to patch the game, but all the promised content will be done.

Not that I wouldn't love to see another DLC.

sign.jpg

A re-release would be a good idea once all the DLC is out. Time it to match the console release, discount the base game, $50 for game+all DLC, call it "Pillars Of Eternity: Deadfire: Crown Of Woedica Edition" or something (DO NOT CALL IT COMPLETE EDITION) and get some visibility on steam

• Like 4

A re-release would be a good idea once all the DLC is out. Time it to match the console release, discount the base game, $50 for game+all DLC, call it "Pillars Of Eternity: Deadfire: Crown Of Woedica Edition" or something (DO NOT CALL IT COMPLETE EDITION) and get some visibility on steam

Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - Not So Definitive Edition! =)

Pillars Of Eternity II: Deadfire - Not So Definitive Edition! =)

Pillars of Eternity 1 - Deadfire Edition

Please DO call it the Complete Edition. Too many video game marketing teams try to get cute with with titles of all the editions but 'complete' is the easiest way to advertise to the buyer that they're getting everything. Clarity > Snazzy 

• Like 3

It implies that the game is incomplete without the DLC add-ons

By any definition of the word I use, it is. The DLC is inserted into the middle of the game. Thus it is part of the game, not post game expansion content. Much like how PoE 1 is made complete by the White March DLC.

I understand there are real world reasons why the DLC is what it is. Doesn't change what it should be called though, a part of the game that was missing at launch.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

It wasn't "missing". The DLC is side content. It improves the game to have it, but it isn't necessary.

This is why they shouldn't call a bundle edition "complete"- there's a common perception of DLC as being content that should have been in the game at launch but was deliberately left out to grift people. Calling it "complete" feeds into that perception. They should call it something that makes it clear the DLC is extra stuff that you're getting. Pillars 1's "definitive edition" wasn't bad

It wasn't "missing". The DLC is side content. It improves the game to have it, but it isn't necessary.

This is why they shouldn't call a bundle edition "complete"- there's a common perception of DLC as being content that should have been in the game at launch but was deliberately left out to grift people. Calling it "complete" feeds into that perception. They should call it something that makes it clear the DLC is extra stuff that you're getting. Pillars 1's "definitive edition" wasn't bad

I get where you're coming from. Problem is to me if it's content that fits inside the original game, it's content that could have been there at launch. Sure, it's probably stuff that would have been left on the cutting room floor back in my youth, but it's not extending the game. DLC that happens after the end of the original game is what I consider content that isn't part of the original game.

Either way, modern games are only completed when the last DLC is released no matter where that content fits in the game. So calling a game plus all it's DLC the "complete edition" is literally true.

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

I prefer complete too. The naming for this stuff with Hero, Obsidian, Gold, PE Sawyer edition, Super Elite Kickstarter Deluxe Plus, Wael Super-All Inclusive Pack Plus is confusing to the bone.

It annoyed me with PoE1 and 2 but since KS I could avoid most of it, no such luck with Tyranny having to fav 3 different Humble Bundle pages and having to keep an eye on all 3 during sales... ugh.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I understand what you're saying, but there's actually nothing wrong with "complete". Calling the bundle edition complete merely implies that it contains everything that has been made. If I was releasing this stuff and I made a bundle containing the base game plus all the DLCs, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to call that edition complete. If I was releasing a book containing all of Shakespeare's plays and poems, I would call that Complete Works, too.

I agree the DLCs are side content and that they are not needed. The perception you talk about is misplaced, and to the extent it's a problem, it's only a problem for those who happen to have it.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread will probably get trolled by fans who will see the title and get angry, and it will probably get locked due to that but here's something that indicates the sales were many times lower than expected by either party.

https://www.onlysp.com/pillars-of-eternity-ii-sales-below-expectations/

Keep in mind, of course nobody should ever expect the full numbers to be leaked or revealed as no company is ever proud of lower sales numbers. We do know that Pillars 1 remains one of the poorest sales games on consoles which is unfortunate, considering the u.i and placements are far better on console than they are on PC, making Pillars 1 on console the definitive version on comparison.

Keep in mind that none of this means the game or games by Microbes is bad quality. It's just a thread which continues to prove that Pillars 1 and 2 were never the great sellers that some of the community made them out to be. It should be common sense but at the same time I could definitely understand when fans want to see something they love succeed, even if that means making up a wild success story that isn't necessarily true lol

Also, the fact that Obsidian was recently acquired by Microsoft, hence the nickname Microbes, which only proves sales were at poor indication of record.

Approximate sales figures for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire have been revealed, and they are far lower than expected.

Dylan Holmes, a librarian and podcast host who invested $1000 in the game’s development, stated on Twitter that he only made $192.67 back on his investment. Since the game’s “breakeven” for investors was 580,000 copies sold at $50, Holmes’s return on his investment reveals that the game likely sold a little over 110,000 copies in five months.

“RPGs of this sort do have long tails, but at this juncture there is no way investors are recouping the investment,” said Holmes.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, developed by Obsidian Entertainment, was released for PC, Mac, and Linux in May 2018. The game is scheduled to release for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch later this year.

OnlySP’s Mitchell Akhurst named Pillars of Eternity II one of five RPGs to watch out for in 2018. The game received positive reviews upon launch, so these sales figures are certainly disappointing for any fans of the game or genre.

Edited by SonicMage117
  • Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Deadfire not selling well is sorely disappointing. It's the kind of game that really fits CRPG veterans and CRPG greenhorns alike. Fingers crossed that it's some kind of tardy sleeper hit game, late bloomer, and all that. Perhaps Outer Worlds will bring in relevant gamers that try out this title, I know that they are in for a pleasant surprise. PCGamer's RPG of the Year 2018 and all!

• Like 6

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think that's exactly what will happen, as with games like Psychonauts, Spider, Beyond Good and Evil, Omikron and many others. Those are all great success stories :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Saddening indeed. I have seen too many great creative projects ruined (sales wise) due to poor marketing decisions, poor leadership and /or executive meddling. I just hope that the game sells enough in the long run to allow the creation of a third one. The franchise deserves proper closure.

I'm not sure there's ever been any need for POE3. But the frankly disastrous sales figures may well mean that nobody else is keen to produce games in this genre, either. However, I don't know the relevant figures for Pathfinder: Kingmaker, so I'm not sure whether that title would lead you to the opposite conclusion. Hopefully so.