Even if Deadfire is not selling all that well, I don't see why Obsidian should refrain from another "Figstarter" that can potentially give them another 2-3 million dollars so that they can develop yet another game (POE 3) with the already available engine and tools and IP.

If they do that they will have three games bringing revenue for them and not for some publisher. There are fates worse than that.

Exactly. And if they use the rules and systems from PoE2 it would be easier to make the third game.

sign.jpg

If half of the players hated PoE, then where do the good user reviews come from?

I sometimes wonder the tastes of people. I really hate Divinity: Orignal Sin 2 even loving the first one due to the armor system just completely ruining combat entirely aside with some other picks like round robin or how every combat ends with cursed fire that's so annoying (and honestly, what else has it going for it?). Yet people praise that game to hell and back... yet most also don't finish the initial island. I mean... what?

On the other hand, I mostly like PoE1 and 2 *despite* the combat, since honestly, I'm not liking it much. Fortunately RtwP generally allows you to get through it fast, and I agree it moves at lightning speed. I've long given up trying to understand all those terrible logs (really, no rounding, numbers need to be after the dot? Isn't it cluttered enough)

Combat is definitely a trouble-point for RPG's in general :/

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I sometimes wonder the tastes of people. I really hate Divinity: Orignal Sin 2 even loving the first one due to the armor system just completely ruining combat entirely aside with some other picks like round robin or how every combat ends with cursed fire that's so annoying (and honestly, what else has it going for it?). Yet people praise that game to hell and back... yet most also don't finish the initial island. I mean... what?

I know how you feel. I liked D:OS1 and I finished it 2 times, starting again twice. But I'm not planning on replaying D:OS2.

sign.jpg

And... the rumor was true:

Obsidian is joining Microsoft.

Whelp, this is it y'all. The final nail to the coffin. I don't think Micro$oft will ever waste their budget by allowing Obsidian to create another niche, top-down crpg. However, there is some light on the other side of the tunnel since Obsidian's finally gonna have the financial support needed for another AAA rpg. I just hope Micro$oft doesn't screw them over again...

Edited by Sanjid099

Marketing game was really weak from Paradox, and the damage was already done when Versus Evil was taking over. Coupled with sequel syndrome, it's all the more necessary to sell people on jumping in new for the second game.

MS will actually give Obs a budget to get their vision of an rpg into the hearts and minds of people.

They have Obs's tech along with the devs that learned the same tech over on InXile. I don't think iso-crpg is dead just yet. Plus Obsidian has been maintaining multiple teams, they are more than capable of balancing a AAA alongside passion projects.

• Like 1

And... the rumor was true:

Obsidian is joining Microsoft.

Whelp, this is it y'all. The final nail to the coffin. I don't think Micro$oft will ever waste their budget by allowing Obsidian to create another niche, top-down crpg. However, there is some light in the other side of the tunnel since Obsidian's finally gonna have the financial support needed for another AAA rpg. I just hope Micro$oft doesn't screw them over again...

Marketing game was really weak from Paradox, and the damage was already done when Versus Evil was taking over. Coupled with sequel syndrome, it's all the more necessary to sell people on jumping in new for the second game.

MS will actually give Obs a budget to get their vision of an rpg into the hearts and minds of people.

They have Obs's tech along with the devs that learned the same tech over on InXile. I don't think iso-crpg is dead just yet. Plus Obsidian has been maintaining multiple teams, they are more than capable of balancing a AAA alongside passion projects.

MSFT like any business is in the industry for getting as much returns off of their investment. Small, niche RPGS can provide outsize returns on top of helping their business strategy by providing incentives for platform lock-in via exclusives.  As a plus, they have the resources to properly market and focus test a product (which sounds like Deadfire could really have benefited from).

MSFT also has the resources to back a huge AAA game. With Obsidian a part of MSFT, the likelihood we'll ever see another Fallout: New Vegas type game has gone to zero (albeit from infinitesimal low odds to start), but at least now we have a chance for a F:NV-like AAA game in the future.

I was around the 90s to know MSFT at the peak of its bureaucratic acqui-existinguish model, the MSFT under current CEO seems to be a bit better. I'll start getting worried if we start seeing an outflux of talent, though tbh with JE Sawyer semi-retired I'm already a little bit skeptical of game design going forward.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

on the bright side... hopefully we can see a skyrim open world game with pillars flavor? chanter concept is a lot like dovahkin.

ps.

microsoft is also known for scalebound and fable cancellations. also stormlands obsidian? 

Edited by Archaven

Hopefully sales are enough for PoE3 - should be like ravenloft, lots of undead, they could reuse the ship mechanic to have your traveling around the different regions like in deadfire but dump the pirate idea and be in an area with fewer guns. 

Edited by ArnoldRimmer

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Hopefully sales are enough for PoE3 - should be like ravenloft, lots of undead, they could reuse the ship mechanic to have your traveling around the different regions like in deadfire but dump the pirate idea and be in an area with fewer guns. 

Or they could use ships to ferry lootboxes. Now they are part of evil corp, they will have to add some.

It's pretty clear to me that the dismal sales numbers for PoE2 must have played a significant role in convincing OE's owners to sell to MS. I would not be surprised if, given just how dismal those sales numbers truly are (I would even use the word catastrophic), OE was once again facing a very grim financial outlook.

Here's my own daydream: Obsidian splits into teams, one team keeps mass producing generic fantasy cookie cutter "Skyrim-like" AAAs for profit so that another team be free to make original, inspired things of their dreams.  :yes:

• Like 1

There is a thread on the RPG codex site where people have confirmed that the staff at Obsidian who have "left" where in fact fired because Deadfire didnt make sales targets. 

If you read through the thread you will also see numerous posts removed at the request of Obsidian's lawyers sending letters of demand to remove the posts. 

And yes one would assume Obsidian would be struggling to pay the bills atm hence the Microsoft buyout. Miscrosft will be getting a bargain here.

I said that before deadfire was launched its success would hinge on whether or not the story was immersive. Deadfires story was absolutely not immersive. IMO the fault lays completely with the narrative designers

I said that before deadfire was launched its success would hinge on whether or not the story was immersive. Deadfires story was absolutely not immersive. IMO the fault lays completely with the narrative designers

I hardly think it was one (1) thing that sank Deadfire. Personally I found Deadfire superior to PoE in all aspects and I can't really grasp how it was able to sell less than its predecessor.

It's sad though. Whatever comes next from Obsidian, it probably will be stuff catered to the Xbox and chances are I won't care for it.

• Like 8

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I'm starting to think that making PoE 2 a direct sequel was probably a mistake. It says to the potential new players: Don't buy PoE 2, buy PoE 1 instead. (and POE 1 is on sale, so no big money for Obsidian).

DoS 2 wasn't a direct sequel so people weren't afraid they won't understand the story if they skip DoS 1.

Also these RPGs are big. People buy PoE 1, then months pass before they finish it. Most don't even finish it.

PoE 2 should have been either a prequel or set fifty years after PoE 1 events.

• Like 1

There is a thread on the RPG codex site where people have confirmed that the staff at Obsidian who have "left" where in fact fired because Deadfire didnt make sales targets. 

If you read through the thread you will also see numerous posts removed at the request of Obsidian's lawyers sending letters of demand to remove the posts.

Which thread would this actually be? Only thing I've heard is that the Director of Marketing was fired due to sales, this was a clause in his contract even.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.