Here are more accurate numbers: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire at 203,867

compared to

Pillars of Eternity at 1,275,530

Divinity: Original Sin 2 at 1,688,895

Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition at 1,501,547

Deadfire isnt on that list though how did you get 203000?

I wonder how many GoG vs Steam buyers there are as far as Deadfire goes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are loads of GoG platformers, as it were.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Me too. Since PoE doesn't offer any multiplayer, I'd say that the numbers are pretty impressive. For Deadfire, having sold a quarter of Million copies this early, is pretty decent, before any real sales or anything. And there was the successful Fig kickstarter as well, which works a bit like a huge preorder-fest. Fingers crossed.

P.S. I'd love to see spin-off games as well.

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Here are more accurate numbers: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/07/steam-data-leak-reveals-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

compared to

For this to be an apt comparison you would need the sales numbers for each game at the same point in time. There is no statistical significance in comparing the current, and potentially outdated, sales numbers for Deadfire with the overall sales numbers for games that ha e been out for multiple years doesn't really tell you much.

• Like 11

compared to

For this to be an apt comparison you would need the sales numbers for each game at the same point in time. There is no statistical significance in comparing the current, and potentially outdated, sales numbers for Deadfire with the overall sales numbers for games that ha e been out for multiple years doesn't really tell you much.

True, especially when you consider that Deadfire actually caused more PoE 1 sales. PoE 1 Definitive Edition was very popular on Steam soon after Deadfire launch.

• Like 6

Does anybody know what Steam's "bronze" status means?

I only know that this ranking is based on revenue, not number of sold games. Edit: it was so in 2017 - no idea about 2018.

I don't know how the backer copies of the game factor in: do the pledges count towards the revenue? How does Steam know how much you pledged when it only gets a key that you use to unlock the game while the financial part is on Fig/Obsidian Backer Portal/PayPal?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah it means not platinum, gold or silver

You don't say...

I edited my post to specify what I mean. Sorry. Maybe you want to read again.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

I dont know why you think based on revenue.

DOTA is number 1 and that game is free

And why are you trying so hard to complicate soemrhing that is so simple?

Its pretty easy. Its bronze so not in top 50

Edited by no1fanboy

Because Steam says that it's based on revenue. That's not my idea. Don't know why they say that and how they determine those numbers. Maybe it's a mix of sold copies and sales figures. I have no idea and it doesn't help that Steam doesn't explain.

And because of crowdfunding it's not that simple - if Steam doesn't show how it calculated those numbers.

Hence my question.

I understand that Deadfire is not in the top 50. That part is clear. But that info itself is not very meaningful if one doesn't know how it got that ranking.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Def. not entirely. Steam says "Top Sellers" and "most players" now in 2018. In 2017 they said revenue. It's not clear at all how the list is processed.

That's why I asked if anybody knows - and how stuff like pledges or even investments count in. I guess they don't because steam can't know the pledges and other numbers from Fig. So they are left with sold copies and player numbers - but maybe I'm wrong. But just think about those backers who gave 10.000 bucks and so on. If that money is not part of Steam's equation then the whole list is not that meaningful (for Deadfire). If it is then the list would contain useful info. Who knows this?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

It's very unfortunate that games with multiplayer significantly outsell single player only games. I can understand a little bit of a sales advantage for multiplayer, but these numbers seem to indicate a gigantic difference. I imagine this will mean that even small-to-medium sized RPG developers (Obsidian, inXile, etc.) will now move to multiplayer games and abandon creating single player only games.

I know that many multiplayer games can be played as single player, but at least for me it feels very much that those games make it very clear in-game that you are supposed to play them multiplayer and that they're optimized for multiplayer at the expense of the single player experience (ex. the D:OS games). This tends to seriously dampen my interest in those games.

Sorry for the tangent.

• Like 3