why does crafting and enchanting cost so much money?

Because it abstracts contracting people to make the upgrades? I never considered it to be my character, specifically, doing the enchanting, but finding someone who specializes in soul magic and the applicable trade. Kind of hard for the Watcher to be simultaneously a master blacksmith, armorer, tanner, tailor, and so on and so forth.

• Like 5

It's a way to prevent money overflow. You sell all the looted stuff for coin and use that coin to make few items really good.

Also enchanting isn't that expensive in general. Only doing superb and legendary enchantments are really costly.

• Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the update/correction.

The enchantment UI is confusing and pretty unclear whether enchantments replace or add stuff.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

There a much better ways to balance an economy than to have it impact one of the best parts of an RPG (item creation and enhancement).

Devs would be best to avoid curtailing fun activities and leave supply-side economics to castle/ship upgrades. There is already a limiting factor on item upgrades (components), why bother introduce and balance another (coins)?

I aways asked myself this. Why do I have to throw some coins in my potion brewing?

To add copper oxide?

Boeroer already gave the real reason, but here's my headcanon: the baseline currency of Eora is copper, and we do know for a fact that the Engwithans made heavy use of copper and bronze in their soul machines, the implication being that copper's relationship to souls is a lot like its relationship to electricity. One could speculate that upgrading involves, among other things, literally incorporating alloys of that copper into the finished product.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.