Gorecci Street is the hardest fight in the game.

• 1 year later...

The nice thing about that scene is that the NPC had suggested you avoid bloodshed, and damn was her tip relevant! 

It teaches you early on to be tactical and never underestimate enemies

Anyhow, with only two low level companions, there is also a big luck / unluck factor: 
I mean if they strike a few critical hits, you are out. 

Tactics, though, wins. 
( I play Veteran on my first play-through, as I played all of PoE 1, and for the thrill. PotD would be madness.)

I think (not tested yet) the sound factor might come into play in that scene, so you can try to fight only one group of looters without alerting the others using more quiet attacks and quick kills.  Remains to be tested on my part.

Edited by Baraz

1 hour ago, Baraz said:

I think (not tested yet) the sound factor might come into play in that scene, so you can try to fight only one group of looters without alerting the others using more quiet attacks and quick kills.  Remains to be tested on my part.

This is how I used to clear gorecci st all the time on PotD, using sound to lure one group of looters further away before starting the fight.

• Hmmm 1

On 7/6/2018 at 11:25 AM, gristlethick said:

No other fight compares. Unless you just cheese it.

1. Slog Zone

2. Limited Equipment

3. Limited Skills

4. High Burst Damage

5. Target Swapping

6. Escape + Targeting Softer Party Members

7. Regeneration

The damage the NPCs put out at levels 1-4 here are insane. The lower your level the more insane it gets. Most characters start with nearly 50 health. A single arquebus shot will most definitely hit you for about 30 damage on the lower end. In this level range you simply change how many hits you can take before being knocked out. Which is about 2-4 hits in total. The penetration value is 13 because they use their crippling strike. I think there's 1 wizard, 3 ranged, 3 melee npcs. The accuracy, deflection, and all other saving throws are incredibly high. The damage of the hunting bows is also incredibly high. At least there's a chance to reduce the damage you take from those.

Anyway, if you can take this fight head on no other fight in the game will stand much of a chance.

The end game is simply gorecci street.

On my current playthrough (since I sacrificed eder in POE1 and robbed/murdered xoti lol), I fought on Gorecci Street with my own swashbuckler, a custom made musketeer and a wael priestess and paladin that I hired at the tavern. It was pretty hard with a party of three until I created the musketeer, but he made the fight a lot easier. The hardest fight I've had on my second play through has been obtaining a certain piece of awesome looking armor in the Forgotten Sanctum at level 11 - it took 3 or 4 tries and some coral snuff to win the battle.

11 hours ago, Jill7894 said:

On my current playthrough (since I sacrificed eder in POE1 and robbed/murdered xoti lol), I fought on Gorecci Street with my own swashbuckler, a custom made musketeer and a wael priestess and paladin that I hired at the tavern. It was pretty hard with a party of three until I created the musketeer, but he made the fight a lot easier. The hardest fight I've had on my second play through has been obtaining a certain piece of awesome looking armor in the Forgotten Sanctum at level 11 - it took 3 or 4 tries and some coral snuff to win the battle.

These days (after getting thoroughly used to the re-balanced PotD difficulty) I'd say the hardest fight is the Engwithan Digsite + Galawain's challenge. For many other later fights you can just overlevel them if necessary, and the megabosses tend to mostly be technical fights for metagaming (e.g. solve the puzzle, and you can win). But you have so little options so early in the game, so a bad roll on the buff for the young drake and the wyrms can hurt you real bad. My current run my party absolutely roflstomped Gorecci St without having to split the enemy up, and I even took the violent option against the looters for extra fighting, but it took me hours and most of my consumables to finally get my way through the digsite, because the Young Drake had spawned with Hardened and that is a really brutal buff for a low-level party to handle.

8 hours ago, thelee said:

These days (after getting thoroughly used to the re-balanced PotD difficulty) I'd say the hardest fight is the Engwithan Digsite + Galawain's challenge. For many other later fights you can just overlevel them if necessary, and the megabosses tend to mostly be technical fights for metagaming (e.g. solve the puzzle, and you can win). But you have so little options so early in the game, so a bad roll on the buff for the young drake and the wyrms can hurt you real bad. My current run my party absolutely roflstomped Gorecci St without having to split the enemy up, and I even took the violent option against the looters for extra fighting, but it took me hours and most of my consumables to finally get my way through the digsite, because the Young Drake had spawned with Hardened and that is a really brutal buff for a low-level party to handle.

Oh yeah, the digsite is really one of the first tests on whether your party is any good, at least from my experience. I was expecting a huge, difficult fight when I went to it on my current playthrough, but it was surprisingly easy to win. I set myself (swashbuckler) and my paladin on the ramp to keep the enemy from getting up to my musketeer and priestess, and summoned a ghost-heart wolf to run around and bite the dragon while my musketeer and priestess shot it to death from afar. I think I must've just gotten lucky though, because every other time that I've fought at the digsite, it was a rough, grueling battle. I always kill everyone on Gorecci street. :p I can't deny myself the opportunity to potentially get more good stuff.

I'm only playing on Normal but if this is the fight I think it is, in Port Maje, then yeah I agree. You don't have enough skills/spells to manage what's being thrown at you. Later encounters may be harder on paper but you have more means to cope. Someone above mentioned the thing in the Sacred Stairs with the constructs. That also stood out to me, the fight took me ages, but we were in a position where I took out the kith character early and then it was just keeping Eder alive while slowly doing damage to the constructs. I had no lightning damage available so had to use certain scrolls, Plague of Insects or whatever it was, to do decent damage. I also had to use that interrupt spell in scroll form to keep interrupting their AoE attacks. It was a really fun fight. I think if I'd run out of interrupts, they'd have eventually won but as it was we could keep wrong-footing them long enough to eventually get their HP down. 

Yes, it mostly is a hard fight (both: Gorecci Str. and Digsite) because you don't have many options. 

Digsite is noticably easier with somebody who can mind control (Charm Beasts or Whisper of Treason). Especially at the digsite the beasts have low Will defenses and can easily be charmed, tanking for you.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, Boeroer said:

Yes, it mostly is a hard fight (both: Gorecci Str. and Digsite) because you don't have many options. 

Digsite is noticably easier with somebody who can mind control (Charm Beasts or Whisper of Treason). Especially at the digsite the beasts have low Will defenses and can easily be charmed, tanking for you.

I don't think you're meant to do battle in Gorecci Str. You should just go to Gorecci via the South West side of Port Maje Harbor and just stealth your way to Ilari so they insta-die.

"Meant?"

That argument doesn't fly, and for a very simple reason. You have to metagame (i.e. read spoilers) before you can know that the southern entrance to Gorecci Street is a lot safer. To the extent that anything in a computer game is "meant", you are certainly not "meant" to metagame, you are "meant" to figure out stuff on your own.

The digsite battle was very difficult for me. It was only after finishing the game that I learned that it's not mandatory: if you sneak into the caverns and find the guy whose research you're looking for, you can bypass the entire battle. I'm very happy that I didn't know about that when actually playing the game.

Edited by xzar_monty
  • Like 1

Correct. You cannot know that the fight in Gorecci Str. is avoidable a lot easier if you come from the south. The usual way in is from the jail. If you don't have good stealth already on one party member it's very difficult to not trigger the fight.

Fun fact though: if you reload the map from autosave (after getting crushed) you can usually sneak past them without them turning hostile. I guess it has something to do with the dialogue the looters usually have when you enter for the first time and which triggers their hostility. It's missing when you reload.

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 11 months later...
On 1/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, Boeroer said:

Correct. You cannot know that the fight in Gorecci Str. is avoidable a lot easier if you come from the south. The usual way in is from the jail. If you don't have good stealth already on one party member it's very difficult to not trigger the fight.

Fun fact though: if you reload the map from autosave (after getting crushed) you can usually sneak past them without them turning hostile. I guess it has something to do with the dialogue the looters usually have when you enter for the first time and which triggers their hostility. It's missing when you reload.

I can confirm this "fun fact" in my newest playthrough. I was wondering what happened.