Being from Texas, Xoti (and the other Readceras characters) sound like Foghorn Leghorn, but Bailey adds just enough sexy charm that I find it cute.

Aw, man, it's Laura Bailey? See this is why I try not to learn these things: now I'm going to mentally add "-senpai!" to the end of everything Xoti says.

... actually, why am I complaining about that?

• Like 3

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I don't understand where you're getting 'raspy' from, let alone 'heavy smoker'. I just listened to a bit of the narration, and I can hear nothing particularly raspy about her voice.

Your idea of raspy most likely differs from the OP's. That doesn't male ot wrong.

After all, when you go to a barber's to get a haircut, you say say "Take off an inch" and your inch is actually 2 inches.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Your idea of raspy most likely differs from the OP's. That doesn't male ot wrong.

After all, when you go to a barber's to get a haircut, you say say "Take off an inch" and your inch is actually 2 inches.

Setting aside the fact that for a variety of reasons I would never say that to my barber (and she'd understandably be rather confused if I did), I have no idea what you're trying to express with that. However impractical it may be as a unit of measurement, an inch is still perfectly well-defined; there may be some margin when used colloquially, but it's not going suddenly double in size I should imagine. But maybe US barbers work on an entirely different logic.

Equally, while 'raspiness' may be perceived differently by different people, when the OP describes the narrator's voice as raspy to the point of heavy smoker while I can't discern any hint of rasp to it, it doesn't seem unreasonable for me to express surprise about this.

I am ok with the narrator. There should have been an option to silence her in the game, though.

On the vocabulary issue I disagree 101%. Because English is the language with the most words out there and in every case the first meaning of the word conveys something quite particular. I understand that most writers and critics would settle for usage of simpler language, which is quite ok with the flow of meaning in English. On the other hand, it is refreshing to learn some new words and listen to some unusual narrative. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Setting aside the fact that for a variety of reasons I would never say that to my barber (and she'd understandably be rather confused if I did), I have no idea what you're trying to express with that. However impractical it may be as a unit of measurement, an inch is still perfectly well-defined; there may be some margin when used colloquially, but it's not going suddenly double in size I should imagine. But maybe US barbers work on an entirely different logic.

Equally, while 'raspiness' may be perceived differently by different people, when the OP describes the narrator's voice as raspy to the point of heavy smoker while I can't discern any hint of rasp to it, it doesn't seem unreasonable for me to express surprise about this.

You've completely missed the point, this isn't about whether you woupd "really" tell your barber something like that or not, it was just an example so there's no need to feel defensive really.

There are tons of caliburs and naunces for the sound of a heavy smoker. I don't believe that "once you've heard a heavy smoker, you've heard them all" or that you even have a generalization. It just doesn't work that way, we would have a much better argument if we asked the OP for an example than to assume that we have a similar knowledge.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I loved the narrator's voice. It was serious and strong without being masculine. It fit well with the setting of the game. Man you guys are seriously crazy.

Or, people just have a different opinion to yours.

I found myself skimming the text and skipping ahead as fast as I could because it was so irritating. I think the writing could have been simplified, but it was mostly the over-dramatic presentation drawn out with pauses that didn't help the text.

• Like 1

You've completely missed the point, this isn't about whether you woupd "really" tell your barber something like that or not, it was just an example so there's no need to feel defensive really.

There are tons of caliburs and naunces for the sound of a heavy smoker. I don't believe that "once you've heard a heavy smoker, you've heard them all" or that you even have a generalization. It just doesn't work that way, we would have a much better argument if we asked the OP for an example than to assume that we have a similar knowledge.

Well yes, if I'm saying that I have no idea what you're on about I think it's fairly safe to conclude that I missed whatever point that was supposed to make. That does not make me feel defensive however, just confused. It is still unclear to me what that is intended to be an example of, or what on earth you are doing with your barbers. 

And the fact that any characterisation will have a margin of interpretation and doesn't necessarily convey all the nuances of someone's meaning doesn't mean it gives no general indication of what they intend. If someone describes a voice as 'raspy', 'heavy smoker' and 'strep throat patient' I would imagine for most people that conjures up a fairly clear image of what is meant. And to me the narrator doesn't remotely sound like that, and therefore posted to the effect of "I don't hear it, what's so raspy about it?". Why that has you going off on some barely intelligeble tangent, I do not know. 

Well yes, if I'm saying that I have no idea what you're on about I think it's fairly safe to conclude that I missed whatever point that was supposed to make. That does not make me feel defensive however, just confused. It is still unclear to me what that is intended to be an example of, or what on earth you are doing with your barbers.

And the fact that any characterisation will have a margin of interpretation and doesn't necessarily convey all the nuances of someone's meaning doesn't mean it gives no general indication of what they intend. If someone describes a voice as 'raspy', 'heavy smoker' and 'strep throat patient' I would imagine for most people that conjures up a fairly clear image of what is meant. And to me the narrator doesn't remotely sound like that, and therefore posted to the effect of "I don't hear it, what's so raspy about it?". Why that has you going off on some barely intelligeble tangent, I do not know.

Your assuming that your assumption on your stereotype for heavy-smokers/strep throat is the only thing non-intelligent here. That was my point to begin with, and yes, it's clear that you're not confused, just too ignorant to know the different ways that smoke can damage vocal cords and/or strep as well.

Expecting everyone to have a "general" idea behind this in order to make one look "correct" is underwhelmingly immature. It's not so easy, with any knowledge on the subject you'll find that both strep and smoke damage have a wide effects on vocals, it could make you drop an octave or project a higher octave, it can make your voice rougher or smoother depending on the person and every person is different - therefore the effects are different on every one person. Google ans yourube is your friend, if you want to learn the truths on the subject.

Now that I have spelled it out, hopefully you don't get more offended and defensive but see the horrific condition of your actions. Again, I say that it would be better to ask the OP to give an example, rather than assuming that you're right. That's what I'm on about, I don't think it can be any clearer.

It's not so easy, with any knowledge on the subject you'll find that both strep and smoke damage have a wide effects on vocals, it could make you drop an octave or project a higher octave, it can make your voice rougher or smoother depending on the person and every person is different - therefore the effects are different on every one person. Google ans yourube is your friend, if you want to learn the truths on the subject.

Curious, if someone had their voice pitched an octave up, would you then describe their voice as 'raspy' ?

Your assuming that your assumption on your stereotype for heavy-smokers/strep throat is the only thing non-intelligent here. That was my point to begin with, and yes, it's clear that you're not confused, just too ignorant to know the different ways that smoke can damage vocal cords and/or strep as well.

Expecting everyone to have a "general" idea behind this in order to make one look "correct" is underwhelmingly immature. It's not so easy, with any knowledge on the subject you'll find that both strep and smoke damage have a wide effects on vocals, it could make you drop an octave or project a higher octave, it can make your voice rougher or smoother depending on the person and every person is different - therefore the effects are different on every one person. Google ans yourube is your friend, if you want to learn the truths on the subject.

Now that I have spelled it out, hopefully you don't get more offended and defensive but see the horrific condition of your actions. Again, I say that it would be better to ask the OP to give an example, rather than assuming that you're right. That's what I'm on about, I don't think it can be any clearer.

Oh yes, soooo horrific  :devil:

Seriously though, if you're getting this worked up over nothing you probably should get that looked at. And if you're going to chastise people for making (what you perceive to be) unwarranted assumptions, maybe a good idea to not throw about your own quite so much. Just a tip. Because among other things: still feeling neither offended nor defensive. At this point, 'bemused' is probably the most apt description. That, and 'bored'; clearly you have nothing of actual interest to say. 

Curious, if someone had their voice pitched an octave up, would you then describe their voice as 'raspy' ?

No, it was an example of how voices are affected. Where did I say it was described specifically as raspy?

Seriously though, if you're getting this worked up over nothing you probably should get that looked at. And if you're going to chastise people for making (what you perceive to be) unwarranted assumptions, maybe a good idea to not throw about your own quite so much. Just a tip. Because among other things: still feeling neither offended nor defensive. At this point, 'bemused' is probably the most apt description. That, and 'bored'; clearly you have nothing of actual interest to say.

Whatever was unintelligent about my response? Where did I assume anything?

I'm not the one who is getting defensive here, I'm not sure what's so hard for you to understand that there are different "raspy"s out there, doesn't make me or the OP wrong, and I'm not the one generalizing. I'm not sure why or how that triggers you, it's really not that big of a deal. You made a small mistake by expecting others to have the same view as yours without delving deeper into research on the specific topic. It's best to count your losses and move on, really there's no shame.

I really meant no harm to befall you, I was just simply asking you to do some research or at least ask the OP to describe the specific type of raspiness they're talking about but I can see, this isn't about reasonable conversation on your end, it's only the ole "I'm right, you're wrong even if you made valid points." with some of that classic reverse psychology thrown in. Nothing much or we haven't seen on a general forum...Hopefully you can grow from here.

Being from Texas, Xoti (and the other Readceras characters) sound like Foghorn Leghorn, but Bailey adds just enough sexy charm that I find it cute.

Aw, man, it's Laura Bailey? See this is why I try not to learn these things: now I'm going to mentally add "-senpai!" to the end of everything Xoti says.

... actually, why am I complaining about that?

Being a huge fan of Nier, I always have her and Serafin around, then I have both Kaine and Grimoire Weiss in the same party. Sadly, they never make a Nier reference

I shall upgrade my 'bemused' to 'amused'. Because either this is some top-notch trolling, in which case I say: good show! Not enough for me to bother with much, but certainly a valiant attempt. That, or you are actually being serious, and are a genuinely funny spectacle. It may not be intentional, but that needn't lessen the amusement. The rather patronising tone does suggest trolling though, it's a bit too on the nose. Do give us another clue though, I like a good game of "troll or clown?" every once in a while.

I shall upgrade my 'bemused' to 'amused'. Because either this is some top-notch trolling, in which case I say: good show! Not enough for me to bother with much, but certainly a valiant attempt. That, or you are actually being serious, and are a genuinely funny spectacle. It may not be intentional, but that needn't lessen the amusement. The rather patronising tone does suggest trolling though, it's a bit too on the nose. Do give us another clue though, I like a good game of "troll or clown?" every once in a while.

I'm not the one manipulating or backpedaling but if you say so ;)

I mean, this is 2018 after all and sometimes forums have members like you, who work in opposites so as said before, this is nothing new - though, would had much rather had a conversation with an adult who didn't let his pride get the best of him. The internet is a strange place - when reason is viewed as trolling. Too many examples of salty people classifying unarguable points as troll attempts.

For the record, I wasn't trying to get under your skin. More assumptions and muscalculations. I was only pointing something out, you couldn't handle that and tried to make me pay the price for that. I'm not sure how many times I have to say it, I wasn't trying to offend you so no need to get offended.

Edited by SonicMage117

Nah, still not sure. Leaning towards 'troll', but it sounds just about self-important enough to actually be real.

In case it indeed is real though, it is quite fascinating (the psychology of it, that is). Out of curiousity, what makes you persist in the idea that I'm offended or you're getting under my skin? I'd actually have to respect your ideas and opinions for that to happen, and that I definitely don't do. I can't imagine that you think that I do either, so it's odd to keep repeating that. And on the other hand it's not great as a trolling strategy either, which is part of what makes me think you might actually believe what you're saying (good double bluff if it is trolling though). 

Nah, still not sure. Leaning towards 'troll', but it sounds just about self-important enough to actually be real.

In case it indeed is real though, it is quite fascinating (the psychology of it, that is). Out of curiousity, what makes you persist in the idea that I'm offended or you're getting under my skin? I'd actually have to respect your ideas and opinions for that to happen, and that I definitely don't do. I can't imagine that you think that I do either, so it's odd to keep repeating that. And on the other hand it's not great as a trolling strategy either, which is part of what makes me think you might actually believe what you're saying (good double bluff if it is trolling though).

Aa the saying goes, proof is in the pudding. If one feels the need to validate yourself by making a public post saying "You haven't gotten under my skin and you never will... NEVAHHH" but repetitively feel the need to replyans repeat themselves, logic suggests that it's only just the opposite. For would it not?

But I for one, never thought that I never thought I was being ill-will towards but if I have wronged you in any way by the way in which I asked you to ask the OP on personal ideal for their vision of raspy, then I'm truly sorry. For that of which I apologize, so shall you account me for being as such for the will in the forums and perhaps we can come to the middle grounds of more friendly enviroment for others.

I have admired the vocal talents in both games but the narrator in POE2 almost sounds like she's "over it" or even a bit condescending. It's the inflection, I think. It starts out good but in the longer parts I'm like gurl take a break, I can read the rest on my own. 

2, English is not my first language. Overall I comprehend the meaning of the writing but every so often there pops up a word that could be replaced by a more common word that conveys the same meaning so I don't have to go through the trouble of looking up the dictionary.

English is my 1st language and I do love words... but please retire words like "cacophony." Once is cool, twice is overboard. Some of the narration was bordering on purple prose, which is just obnoxious to me (more so than the voice acting). If a simpler word works, use it. The average person reads at a 7th-grade level - you don't have to get fancy-schmancy to tell a good story (seriously, read Tolkien). 

With that being said, I love the game.  :wub:

• Like 1

Hmm, starting to fall apart a bit now. You started saying that in your second post already, after all. And then there was that slightly jarring shift in tone the third post, suddenly much more pretentious and unexpectedly antagonistic. I'm still not 100% convinced, but I must render a verdict at some point and you've probably disrupted the thread enough at this stage. If you indeed were trolling though: good effort (on the other hand, still a troll). And if you're not: seek help. Seriously.

I believe I shall leave it at this (unless you come back with something particularly hilarious perhaps). I'd suggest you do the same, for the sake of the thread. I don't think you can really lower my opinion of you any further at this stage anyway, so aside from wanting to get in the last word there'd be little point. 

• Like 2

Hmm, starting to fall apart a bit now. You started saying that in your second post already, after all. And then there was that slightly jarring shift in tone the third post, suddenly much more pretentious and unexpectedly antagonistic. I'm still not 100% convinced, but I must render a verdict at some point and you've probably disrupted the thread enough at this stage. If you indeed were trolling though: good effort (on the other hand, still a troll). And if you're not: seek help. Seriously.

I believe I shall leave it at this (unless you come back with something particularly hilarious perhaps). I'd suggest you do the same, for the sake of the thread. I don't think you can really lower my opinion of you any further at this stage anyway, so aside from wanting to get in the last word there'd be little point.

More snide commentary after a legit apology? I'd expect nothing less from a forum member who's already embaressed, offended and feels they have to have the last word. Quite strange that you continue to try to make an argument after I have moved on but if you feel you must make your point and "win" then your alpha mindset would make sense.

Now, to clarify yourself, what about my comments do you feel is trolling you? It's obvious that what you consider to "not be getting under you skin" is actually already getting under your skin, or else you wouldn't be constantly making such claims.

And how do you think I'm "falling apart"? Out of the two of us, I'm the only one that is behaving rationally. For your sake, just stop embaressing yourself. If you think I'm not worth the trouble, you would actually back up your statements with actions of leaving the thread and ignoring me but I'm not sure how you can apply these labels to someone who genuinely apologizes for getting under your skin.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to seek help. Seems like you may be dealing with somw kind of inner steuggle tht made to blow up on me. The the only thing I ever said was that you needed to do research and not to assume that everyone thinks the same way you do, but if you think that's trolling just because you can't find a legit or mature way to combat that statement then that's on you, not me. There's no need for bitterness and resentment. It's best you let it go.

Edited by SonicMage117

Hush now Sonic. The grown ups want to read the thread.

Oh another kid, the irony of the thread continues.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before a mod comes in and tells you guys to be mature, as per usual when people can't deal with reason or someone comes in to poke at members they don't like.

No, it was an example of how voices are affected. Where did I say it was described specifically as raspy

Well then what does 'how voices are affected' have to do with anything? The point of contention was whether the narrator had a raspy voice, no? Not 'in what ways can smoking/strep change your voice'. So any non-raspy voice transformation would be completely irrelevant, no?

Unless you are holding that 'raspy' means 'smoking/strep-afflicted' in all possible manners and not 'harsh/hoarse' in particular, I have no idea how you even put this together. I initially thought I had scrolled past a post or something. Your argument here boils down to 'but raspy can mean many things, consider these things which are not raspy'. What?