See topic. Giftbearer's Cloth is amazing, especially for frontliners, tank or otherwise, which raises the question - what builds are (a) likely to come under heavy fire and (b) distinctly don't want the huge defensive bonuses offered by maxing History?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I mean... I don't know that the difference between a history pumped character wearing this cloak and one just using a greater cloak of protection is huge.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I mean... I don't know that the difference between a history pumped character wearing this cloak and one just using a greater cloak of protection is huge.

By mid-to-late game it's +5 to +15 to defenses over a cloak of greater protection. That's fairly significant.

Obviously you don't need the Giftbearer's Cloth to function, but from a pure optimization perspective, I'm curious about strong cases for not wearing it.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Nah, I can't make a case against speccing someone for it unless you're soloing perhaps. But I think your numbers are way off. As far as I can tell it gives +0.5 defenses per point in history. To have a 15 point advantage over the CoGP you'd need 40 history :D

My Deadfire mods

Nah, I can't make a case against speccing someone for it unless you're soloing perhaps. But I think your numbers are way off. As far as I can tell it gives +0.5 defenses per point in history. To have a 15 point advantage over the CoGP you'd need 40 history :D

No exactly. The cape is +5 +(History/2). For +15 you need 20 in History but for have 20 you need sent near all level in history; useful if that character is your support for that pasive. But you can life with other capes too.

Edited by Aranduin
  • Like 1

A 15 point advantage over the CoGP requires 40 points in history. 15 points of defenses requires 20 history, but that's only 5 over the CoGP. ^^

My Deadfire mods

Easy - the ones who want to max Metaphysics (+Athletics) to fully utilize the sweet, sweet Engwithan shield Cadhu Scalth.

I know it's wierd to think of a tank with Metaphysics but +Deflection and -Spell Damage is a seriously sweet combo.

EDIT: Upon further thought, why not split between History and Metaphysics. From a RP perspective may take some tinkering, but the cape and the shield are providing serious defense. Paladin maybe?

Edited by Verde

EDIT: Upon further thought, why not split between History and Metaphysics. From a RP perspective may take some tinkering, but the cape and the shield are providing serious defense. Paladin maybe?

Bad idea. You'll barely get higher than a Cloak of Greater Protection if you split. Although the bonus slots might come in handy.

My Deadfire mods

See topic. Giftbearer's Cloth is amazing, especially for frontliners, tank or otherwise, which raises the question - what builds are (a) likely to come under heavy fire and (b) distinctly don't want the huge defensive bonuses offered by maxing History?

There are certainly reasons to ignore History as a front-liner.  There are other good cloaks that requires no stats and you could max a different secondary stat instead, such as intimidate.  Instead of Gift-bearer, which provides 15 defenses with 20 history, you could simply wear a cloak of greater protection for only 5 less defense.  Or you could go greater deflection cloak for +7 deflection, and then invest those skill points into a different skill that scales equipment.  Since 90%+ of attacks target deflection, having extremely high deflection provides larger benefits most of the time.  

Before gift-bearer was nerfed to provide half the benefits in patch 1.1, it was the obvious choice, but now I think it is just one of multiple options.

Edited by Braven

I thought it was actually a very nice touch. Makes itemization more varied and interesting.

Personally I don’t really feel the urge to build around one of those items. Granted, they may have nice effects but if my character is no historian, I don’t want to give up a different skill I like better just to boost a cloak. I’d sooner just use a different cloak.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For the record, I think Cadhu Scalth is one ugly shield, regardless of the benefits of wielding it. That shield would look great if I was an Adra Beetle... then again a lot of gear in POE2 is pretty hideous in my opinion. Makes a slim list of items, even slimmer.