Black Screen Bug w/ Radeon Card

Zonalar

Question

Hello, I'm having the BlackScreen Bug. Mine seems to differ a bit from the usual reports I have found on this forum.

When starting the game, the Game doesn't even load. It's just a Black-Screen (the Steam symbol however does appear in the bottom right corner). The Mouse cursor is a regular mouse cursor, and there is no sound. I also dont see the logos or anything. its just black.

I'm using a AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series.
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @3.40GHz
8GB RAM.

Windows 7 - 64

I was able to play the game once before. On Sunday the 1st, of July. It played just fine, no problems. 
But since the newest patch on 3rd of July, the Black Screen appears. I don't know if the patch caused the issue, but since then I cannot play the game anymore. 

I have tried: 

• Updating Graphics Card driver
  • Updating Motherboard Drivers
  • changing resolutions on the monitor (as suggested in some of the other bug-threats)
  • Deinstalling and reinstalling the game
  • restart the PC
  • light 36 candles and pray to Eothas

none of the above worked. But the candles helped calming my nerves at least.

Please Help :(

post-218001-0-97506400-1530811563_thumb.png

Edited by Zonalar

17 answers to this question

Hi,

Do you use mods?

It also happened to me, was because of a custom mod.

No, I have no mods installed.

I do use the DLC's. I have turned them off now, but that didnt fix the issue sadly.

The strange thing is that doesn't load the intro at all, like was for me.

Try to make a backup of the save files, they should be in:

"C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II"

Delete them and try to play.

Other thing you can do is trying to run the game as administrator.

Or trying to install the game in a different directory :(

Edited by mammasaura

CzSyX91.jpg

The strange thing is that doesn't load the intro at all, like was for me.

Try to make a backup of the save files, they should be in:

"C:\Users\yourusername\Saved Games\Pillars of Eternity II"

Delete them and try to play.

Other thing you can do is trying to run the game as administrator.

Or trying to install the game in a different directory :(

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried all of your suggestions. sadly to no avail. Black screen is still black.

Hi Zonalar,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a black screen upon launching the game. Could you send us your output log file so that we may investigate your issue further? In the meantime, I suggest verifying that there is an override folder in the following file location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data

The output log file can be found in this same file destination. If you do not have an override folder at that location, make a folder named "override" there and try relaunching the client.

I had been playing the game for about two days and now when I launch it from steam all I get is a black screen. No Music, I have my desktop cursor, not the in-game gauntlet cursor. The only thing that I am able to do is close the application. I've verified the game files and reinstalled the game but the black screen remains. It isn't crashing its as if the game just isn't loading at all. I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Edit: added requested files.

DxDiag.txt

output_log.txt

Edited by Sered
  • Like 1

I planned on doing a full write up tonight, but I’m getting the same thing. Did a full uninstall/reinstall, but still no dice.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I’ll add mine tonight. FWIW, I have an GeForce 1080 (not an ATI card)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Hi Zonalar,

We'd like to know if you are still experiencing a black screen on the main menu in today's hotfix build 1.2.0.0028.

Hallelujah! Your hotfix SOLVED the issue! With the new patch I can start the game without problem now!

Thank you so much for your support jlee and the PoE Support-Team! You have my gratitude (and my weekends of playtime).

• Like 2