Sometimes I feel like the dumbest character in Deadfire and now I am

As the titles explains certain situations in this game leaves me completely baffled, how the main character can be so retarded. 

In the city I get a quest with a satchel, I go and get the satchel and on the way to the other destination I am waylaid by a group, with a leader named Talfor. 

But the funny thing here is that I was completely surrounded, no space to get away or reposition. This is just one example of how my glorious main character got rerolled. A warrior would always leave room to retreat, otherwise he would be a **** warrior. 

I changed him to the retarded wizard/rogue with the voice of Grog, because it was the only way I could ever believe a Watcher would let himself get surrounded like that. (lets just build this fence around you while you stand still)

So now I just don't care what the circumstances are, because I already play my character like he is borderline retarded. 

I get stuck in some water, BAD GROG!! 

I pull 3 large groups, sounds like something grog would do! 

Keep going even with almost full injuries. Grog dosn't get slowed down.

• Like 3

As the titles explains certain situations in this game leaves me completely baffled, how the main character can be so retarded. 

In the city I get a quest with a satchel, I go and get the satchel and on the way to the other destination I am waylaid by a group, with a leader named Talfor. 

But the funny thing here is that I was completely surrounded, no space to get away or reposition. This is just one example of how my glorious main character got rerolled. A warrior would always leave room to retreat, otherwise he would be a **** warrior. 

I changed him to the retarded wizard/rogue with the voice of Grog, because it was the only way I could ever believe a Watcher would let himself get surrounded like that. (lets just build this fence around you while you stand still)

So now I just don't care what the circumstances are, because I already play my character like he is borderline retarded. 

Scripted encounters where the main character finds him/herself surrounded have been a feature of every CRPG ever made.

• Like 1

I have been playing a simply massive Aumaua with an modified intellect of 6. 

I may be the dumbest creature in the Deadfire, but all the kith who get in my way don't seem too brilliant, either. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Keep in mind that, however clever/badass/paranoid a warrior your character is, he/she is fresh off the boat in a strange city.  It's to be expected that local thugs who know the area intimately should be able to get the jump on you. 

• Like 6

My thing with that is you're new to the area and they're not. They know the terrain better than you at the moment. And honestly no matter HOW smart you are people can get the jump on you. That's life. Sometimes you're unlucky. I saw it as a combination of my Watcher not expecting the errand to be to something that would lead to a situation like that, not up to date on the area, and being distracted by coming back to Deadfire where she has a lot of mixed memories. You could always see it as you character having had a bad day? They missed something because half of their SOUL is missing? You can rationalize it in a lot of ways besides oh they MUST be dumb. No one is ALWAYS on the top of their game and the Watcher is missing part of their soul which is KIND of a big deal in Eora. 

• Like 4

You are the Watcher, not the Thinker. ;)

You are also a very seasoned combatant, and your party members are too (mostly). Yet you can get SURROUNDED by a group of nobodies. Ambush itself is fine, but the fact that some random pirates are able to surround your veteran group is dumb.

Hey sorry for wanting some RPG in a RPG ;p

• Like 1

You are also a very seasoned combatant, and your party members are too (mostly). Yet you can get SURROUNDED by a group of nobodies. Ambush itself is fine, but the fact that some random pirates are able to surround your veteran group is dumb.

Those guys are not hostile unless you choose to attack them. Do you always roleplay Charnames who attack people on sight if you don't like the way they approach you? 

Those guys are not hostile unless you choose to attack them. Do you always roleplay Charnames who attack people on sight if you don't like the way they approach you? 

Not really the point and the reasons most people gave in this thread are not really either. 

Ambush is fine, but making it so you bend over to have a 64 inch greatsword shoved up your backside, it just breaks immersion for me. 

Not really the point and the reasons most people gave in this thread are not really either. 

Ambush is fine, but making it so you bend over to have a 64 inch greatsword shoved up your backside, it just breaks immersion for me. 

You must never be immersed in video games ever, then. A bunch of people walking up to you in the middle of a city without open hostile intent who can easily just have a chat with you and walk away? That isn't even a particularly egregious example of an ambush.

Also, using "retarded" in this context really isn't a good look on you.

People seem to use the term "retarded" if they don't like something nowadays.

And good Lord Eothas - it was a joke. Did people seriously write earnest replies to it or does the Palinka cause me hallucinations?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Scripted encounters where the main character finds him/herself surrounded have been a feature of every CRPG ever made.

I for one never liked that. 

The worst example I can think of is in DAO when your entire party formation would be thrown down the drain (and don't get me started on the sneaking Rogue getting spotted by the NPCs thanks to a scripted event). 

In a pen and paper game I would personally blame the game master for pulling such a cheap trick. 

There is such a thing as immersion and there are limits to what is called suspension of disbelief. 

Might be fun if it was a scripted interaction.

"Some people are approaching your party from all sides"

What do you do?

1. Attack them

2. Try to run away

You choose "1" and it's just a bunch of beggars...

Ok, you could judge them by their appearance, I know. But the funny thing is, the first time I had this encounter

I told them they could follow me and I expected that they would attack me right away. But then I never saw them again. So it's not like you are in a unavoidable ambush.

sign.jpg

I for one never liked that. 

The worst example I can think of is in DAO when your entire party formation would be thrown down the drain (and don't get me started on the sneaking Rogue getting spotted by the NPCs thanks to a scripted event). 

In a pen and paper game I would personally blame the game master for pulling such a cheap trick. 

There is such a thing as immersion and there are limits to what is called suspension of disbelief. 

It's not as if it would actually be that difficult to pull off an ambush like this. As long as your would-be attackers have a decent idea of where you're heading it'd mostly be a matter of picking a good spot, having their crew strategically loiter about looking inconspicious (or just hidden), and springing their ambush as you walk by. Especially since in reality the streets would be rather narrower and more crowded and littered than they are depicted in the game, with all sorts of nooks and crannies and obstacles and a whole vertical dimension to use to the ambusher's advantage. This would be difficult to render in a game engine so the depiction may not be ideal, but other than that it's hardly unrealistic.

I would also argue that in a game where, for example, characters can shrug off getting repeatedly shot at point blank range with firearms etc., it seems a bit of a stretch to claim that these kinds of scripted ambushes are what push the limits of suspension of disbelief. 

Or for that matter, since you mention it: party formation. Would you actually expect a group of people walking through a city with no particular reason to suspect any kind of imminent danger to be maintaining some kind of tight formation? They are hardly likely to in any situation, let alone in an unthreatening urban environment.

• Like 2

So you're saying that, in real life, experienced combatants couldn't possibly be ambushed or disadvantaged against less experienced locals who're on home terrain, which the experienced group is unfamiliar with? Are you for real?

All they need to know is where you're headed and where you're coming from, then pick a good location where they, as locals, can blend in far better than you could notice from a distance as you lack familiarity with the city. Unless you're going to kill everyone with a weapon.

And even if you see the ambush once you're there, a properly planned one wouldn't particularly care about that since their men are already in place. Just means they'll have to fight you directly rather than sneakily slip a blade between your ribs.

• Like 1

I'm more annoyed that the only aggressive option is to punch Talfor instead of stabbing him. At least let us start the fight with him with lost health.

• Like 2

So you're saying that, in real life, experienced combatants couldn't possibly be ambushed or disadvantaged against less experienced locals who're on home terrain, which the experienced group is unfamiliar with? Are you for real?

Shhh. Don't mention it or the military will find out.

• Like 3

sign.jpg

I would also argue that in a game where, for example, characters can shrug off getting repeatedly shot at point blank range with firearms etc., it seems a bit of a stretch to claim that these kinds of scripted ambushes are what push the limits of suspension of disbelief. 

Yeah. There was a point in the story where I really wanted to kill a certain character. So I started unloading on them at point blank range, and they just stood there. Not going aggro, and healing back to full between each headshot from my massive rifle.

Edited by Incendax

Yeah. There was a point in the story where I really wanted to kill a certain character. So I started unloading on them at point blank range, and they just stood there. Not going aggro, and healing back to full between each headshot from my massive rifle.

I know how you feel. I once wanted to attack two groups at the same time, but one of them (that I was betraying) simply refused to take any damage. :facepalm:

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg