Hi,

Just managed to recruit the last of the available companions, and struggling with party decisions, hoping to get a few tips without too  many spoilers.

This is what i currently have in party:

MC: Inquisitor ( dual wielding Soul Blade / Kind Wayfarer Paladin)

Eder: Swashbuckler (tanking with shield and defensive rogue abilities)

Pallegina: Paladin/Chanter (equipped with Whispers of endless paths)

Aloth: Wizard

Xoti: Priest

And parked:

Tekēhu (Druid/Chanter) - Seems like very interesting character

Serafin (Cipher) - Don't like him :)

Maia - Geomancer - No plan on using either.

One option is to replace Xoti with Tekehu. That loses access to priest spell, but the party still has 2 paladins and 2 chanters and a druid, which is probably plenty of healing/buffs? But Xoti also seems like she might have an interesting part in the overall plot? So does Tekehu however (at least Ondra said so :)

I could also replace Aloth, but i played through PoE1 without access to wizard spells, and would like to try them out now.

I would like to keep Pallegina ( i mean her class is Herald, and like the MC she was part of the Kind Wayfarers :), and i just like Eder even though he doesn't offer much story wise i guess.

Tekehu can be very annoying, but he is also one of the best written characters and extremely powerful as a Druid or Druid/Chanter. He is only a bad pick if you intend to go RDC.

Xoti is good as a Monk or Monk/Priest, but not as strong as Tekehu in general. Xoti is more fussy and will irritate more NPCs than Tekehu. Tekehu just irritates you, the player. =D

Edited by Incendax
  • Like 1

Thanks for replying. I am leaning towards Tekehu (though annoying, he does seem well written as you say, and Xoti's voice is grating to my ears :), what i have heard of RDC so far did not make it likely that i would go with them. So Xoti doesn't have any special interaction with the overall story arc? Its just that her whole lantern thing seems like it might get interesting.

So Xoti doesn't have any special interaction with the overall story arc? Its just that her whole lantern thing seems like it might get interesting.

Xoti has a storyline that directly relates to and enriches the Eothas situation. Tekehu has a storyline that directly relates to and enriches the Huana situation. So both are relevant and if you have not done the story yet then I would honestly take both. Party balance be damned.

Pallegina and Aloth have the least connection to the story, if you are looking to drop someone who has no big relation to the plot.

Edited by Incendax
  • Like 1

So Xoti doesn't have any special interaction with the overall story arc? Its just that her whole lantern thing seems like it might get interesting.

Xoti has a storyline that directly relates to and enriches the Eothas situation. Tekehu has a storyline that directly relates to and enriches the Huana situation. So both are relevant and if you have not done the story yet then I would honestly take both. Party balance be damned.

Pallegina and Aloth have the least connection to the story, if you are looking to drop someone who has no big relation to the plot.

Hmm, maybe i will just drop Aloth then, it is not like i had him in my PoE1 party (same applies to Pallegina, but that was mostly a balance thing). The party will be very melee oriented, so Wizard friendly-fire is probably a concern anyway.

wait there are people who don't rotate all of the companions constantly

I always intend to in order to play optimally, but after a while the game is easily manageable with whatever group composition. Then I can't be bothered anymore.

My vote goes to Tekehu, I think his story is more interesting than Xoti's. Maybe that is only because I never really cared what happens to that loony zealot. :shrug:

wait there are people who don't rotate all of the companions constantly

I never do that, except for companion quests. I like to optimize the equipment and builds to match a specific party make-up, and that is hard to do if you rotate all the time :) And also, i like to see all dialog options for my selected party.

Doesn't matter how you build your party honestly. I would take neither because they're both insufferable. Especially Xoti. Ugh annoying, uneducated, gullable zealot.

I am sure that any party can complete the game, but both of these characters sounds like they would have interesting interaction with the plot. I agree that Xoti is gullible, but i was hoping to be able to affect that through interactions.

Both Tekehu and Xoti are nice characters, very active in the game storyline. You miss a lot without Tekehu insights about the whole Deadfire situation, and without Xoti's grasp on the main plot.

Both Tekehu and Xoti are nice characters, very active in the game storyline. You miss a lot without Tekehu insights about the whole Deadfire situation, and without Xoti's grasp on the main plot.

Sounds like Aloth is off to scrub the deck of the Defiant then :) I hope the party can hold together though. Pallegina and Xoti will not get along right?

I'm playing with Eder, Aloth, Xoti and Tekehu and i dont regret. Tekehu at first sight looks really annoying but he really grows, Xoti is kind annoying but in a good way, very well written. And between Aloth and Pallegina, i would kick Palle if i were you. Aloth is really quiet and has less connections to the whole Eothas things but if you picked him in POE1 is worth it, some really good moments and callbacks. Also, if you have Renegade Pallegina storyline she will be very tied to VTC, just as Maia to RDC (i may be wrong). Eder is Eder, a must.

I'm playing with Eder, Aloth, Xoti and Tekehu and i dont regret. Tekehu at first sight looks really annoying but he really grows, Xoti is kind annoying but in a good way, very well written. And between Aloth and Pallegina, i would kick Palle if i were you. Aloth is really quiet and has less connections to the whole Eothas things but if you picked him in POE1 is worth it, some really good moments and callbacks. Also, if you have Renegade Pallegina storyline she will be very tied to VTC, just as Maia to RDC (i may be wrong). Eder is Eder, a must.

Thanks for the advice, however i did not pick Aloth in PoE1, didn't even do his quest. I had Eder, Grieving Mother, Durance, Hiravias and Kana Rua.

Doesn't matter how you build your party honestly. I would take neither because they're both insufferable. Especially Xoti. Ugh annoying, uneducated, gullable zealot.

I am sure that any party can complete the game, but both of these characters sounds like they would have interesting interaction with the plot. I agree that Xoti is gullible, but i was hoping to be able to affect that through interactions.

Nah, she gets worse. You don't really change party members in this game. If anything Tekehu has the most to do with the plot. I don't agree about what Eschu and Camonge said about Xoti. She's poorly written and she has nothing to do with the plot. She just follows Gaun/Eothas like a lost puppy. "Ow maah gawd Gaaauwn." It's just annoying.

If I'm completely honest no one has anything to do with the plot really. Let's sum up peoples reasons for being there and helping you:

Eder: he was just there.

Aloth: he just tagged along for no reason, because hey I know you!

Xoti: GAAAAWWWN MAAAH GAAAWD PLEAASE GAAAIDE MEEEEH!

Serafen: just tags along because he doesn't like his boss and his boss wants him to join your party for no reason.

Pallegina: she's in it because the money grabbers want to keep an eye on you. Somewhat related to the plot, but other than that. meh.

Maia: she's in it because the warmongers want to keep an eye on you. Somewhat related to the plot, but other than that. meh.

Tekehu: hey wait a minute. He wants to do some good for the Deadfire and help his people. Damn really???? I mean, he's not just tagging along for no reason. Weirdo.

If I'm honest. Aside from Tekehu, the sidekicks have MORE reason to be with you on this trip than the actual full fledged party members.

Edited by AeonsLegend

It is a bit sad but I kinda agree with Aeons.  However, Aloth/Islemyr and Eder's banter isn't too bad, but Aloth's quest is kind of a dud.  Pallegina seemed not much more than a sidekick that just complains a lot.  All in all, outside of Takehu's arcs they are all kind of more just like the sidekicks with a small side quest tacked on.... well  I guess Xoti has a story but it is almost more like a lovestruck teenager crushing on Gaun/Eothas.  

i'll take takehu anytime over xoti. takehu is a much better healer, with many options for cc and damage. with priest nerfs on devotions and it's long casting time and recovery, priest really need help. priest in first poe was so important and having one in the party is almost a must. in deadfire, priest totally is not needed.

Fishboy and Aloth don't get along, so somebody will probably start going red in your reputation graph. I think Tekehu is a much better character, both mechanically and when it comes to writing. As far as I've seen, Aloth doesn't really get along with anybody, as his disposition is kind of all over the place. He hates Serafin and Tekehu, kind of hates Xoti. Honestly, he and Pallagina should just have been replaced with original characters, rather than bringing them to Deadfire.

It is a bit sad but I kinda agree with Aeons.

I think he is really off the mark and too cynical in his assessment, but he is entitled to his opinion. Xoti is certainly opinionated and annoying, but her story reveals an entire subplot about what Eothas hopes to accomplish with the reapers. And that ties directly into the main story. You can definitely enjoy the game without that subplot, but it gives you more insight into what is happening. Edited by Incendax

Tekehu has a lot to offer - strong (sub)classes, most interactions of any companion, satisfying character development.

That said, there are no wrong choices here. Any two of Tekehu/Xoti/Aloth will be a fine complement to a frontline like the OP's. I agree that Aloth's connection to the Deadfire is a bit tenous, but he's no dead fish either. Especially if Iselmyr is still kicking around. Xoti's worth taking along for quests involving souls, animancy, and the undead, partly because Priests are excellent against Vessels, and partly because she occasionally unlocks unique quest paths.