So, I'm making a Sage for a more "Lawful Neutral" playthrough compared to my Marauder's "You bad, me smash" playthrough. I was wondering about a subclass for the Wizard. Right now, the majority of my spells are either of the Evocation school or the Enchanting school, so I was considering picking up the Evoker subclass for the Doublecast and bonus PL to Evocation spells, and the... really no consequences to Enchantment or Illusion spells (Since the ones I want have negligible recovery times).

The only concern I have is losing out on two whole schools of magic. My chosen grimoire (For Ninagauth's Shadowflame) has a few conjuration spells, namely;

-RIng of Death

-Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring

-Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar

I was wondering if those are worth not taking a subclass, or if I should just stick with Evoker since I'm using mostly Evocations and Enchantments anyway. 

For me, any martial class with wizard does best with no subclass wizard. The two schools you lose out on aren't worth the minor buffs from evoker, in my opinion at least. But if you go alchemy with the Monk, the couple wizard poison spells hit really hard and complement the Monk.

For me, any martial class with wizard does best with no subclass wizard. The two schools you lose out on aren't worth the minor buffs from evoker, in my opinion at least. But if you go alchemy with the Monk, the couple wizard poison spells hit really hard and complement the Monk.

Before patch 1.2 yes. Alchemy doesn't work on spells now.

I’m onky playing veteran right now so this may change with POTD but I’m playing an evoker battle mage and love it.

Just unload all of my damage spells up front then charge into melee to clean up.

Illusion spells and infuse vital essence are always there when I need to be more tanky as well...

Only my 2nd playthrough and again I think things change pretty significantly on POTD.

Freezing pillar, chillfog and pull of eora is 3 massive reasons to not go evoker!

Yes but OP is not playing solo, I think, and in such case, they are not essential. Could even go Nature Godlike and function like debuffer and burst damage dealer.

IMO function or playstyle is the first thing player should determine, then pick class and abilities accordingly. 

Freezing pillar, chillfog and pull of eora is 3 massive reasons to not go evoker!

Yes but OP is not playing solo, I think, and in such case, they are not essential. Could even go Nature Godlike and function like debuffer and burst damage dealer.

IMO function or playstyle is the first thing player should determine, then pick class and abilities accordingly. 

I'm not - though admittedly I do want to play with Wizard story companions and my pick of that litter is Aloth (Who's kind of a jerk to everyone, really) and Fassina (Who's a sidekick, though one with two quests that feature her, so that's kind of cool I guess). I can have either of them make up for the losses, spell-wise.

My only issue with it is the fact that the grimoire I want to use (Ninagauth's Teachings) has one unique Evocation spell you can't get anywhere else (Ninagauth's Shadowflame) but offers the other spells I listed as options at their respective Power Levels. 

Bitter Mooring is kind of meh, but Freezing Pillar, Ring of Death, and Chill Fog are all pretty potent spells, especially Chill Fog for early game Blindness. Tayn's Chaotic Orb is also a Conjuration Spell. 

So I guess... Does a 15% chance to Echo a spell = extra casts of some really potent crowd control/damage spells? 

I dunno, I am still of opinion that such differences/distinctions are insignificant in the greater scheme of things, but it's not only 15% to echo, its 2 PLs for going subclass.

Blindness you'll get with the Ninagauth's Teachings, without the AoE hazard Chill Fog is, to cast instead of Infuse with Vital Essence (which does nothing for burst damage and does not stack with Duality) and cast Thrust (interrupt) or Missiles or Fan on PL 1 instead of Chill Fog. 

What do you want your MC to do? This I still have not heard. I hear you weighing options which without contexts have little meaning. 

Edited by knownastherat

The problem with going Evoker is that it makes your level 5 and level 6 spell options very "meh", because Torrent of Flames and Minoletta Burst require you to be close to melee range. You also lose Arcane Dampener which might or might not be an issue. Echo has low chance to proc and is unreliable.

On the other hand, Fireball and Ninagauth's Shadowflame should be enough for your AoE damage needs. Just make sure to use Vaporous Wizardry grimoire in the quick slot.

Rirngrim's Enervating Terror (which will be nerfed to 5 sec in next patch btw) is PL 5 so this PL is not a problem for Evoker. PL 6, especially with the said grimoire, is indeed kind of problematic if one wants to stay ranged, on the other hand, since staying out of melee will probably be not always possible, there are picks to deal just with such situation. Or just pick debuff/CC. With INT buff from Duality Gaze of the Adragan could actually be worth casting. 

Edited by knownastherat