Theory: DLC 2 is about Durance

Probably obvious by now, but there seems to be some portents regarding Durance and an island I've picked up. 

The fortune-teller in the Dark Cupboard mentions an 'old friend' waiting on an island 'pitted and wreathed in flame'. Durance has pitted skin from the pox, and well, flame is obvious. 

Xoti has visions of a priest who was dead but is just bones with fire inside. Also obviously Durance. 

So I'm thinking this combat-based DLC, Seeker, Slayer, Survivor, sounds like a Durancian trial if every there was one. 

Any other strange portents? 

• Like 8

Probably obvious by now, but there seems to be some portents regarding Durance and an island I've picked up. 

The fortune-teller in the Dark Cupboard mentions an 'old friend' waiting on an island 'pitted and wreathed in flame'. Durance has pitted skin from the pox, and well, flame is obvious. 

Xoti has visions of a priest who was dead but is just bones with fire inside. Also obviously Durance. 

So I'm thinking this combat-based DLC, Seeker, Slayer, Survivor, sounds like a Durancian trial if every there was one. 

So it's about a character that might have died in the last game? Going to be a short DLC for some people.

• Like 6

So it's about a character that might have died in the last game? Going to be a short DLC for some people.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but PoE is set on a fantasy world where people routinely cheat death in countless way.

• Like 1

Counter-theory: it's going to be a continuation of Galawain's questline from the base game.

The one in the underwater ruin?

Yeah. The DLC was advertised as revolving around fighting "Eora's most dangerous" which is exactly what Galawain was breeding in his underwater Pokemon Center. Seems like a reasonable assumption, I think. :p

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

I'm curious who is writer on DLC ? I hope Josh can just focus to improve combat system not the writing.Honest,I don't like his writing on Deadfire.

I've been thinking the same. Josh is great at combat and gameplay systems, (if a bit obsessed with balance, though that's usually a good thing), but the difference in writing quality between certain companions in Deadfire, or between the Deadfire and Tyranny companions, almost makes you forget it's done by the same company.

I also don't know which writer worked on which segment of Deadfire, but the quality difference between the main "story", opposed to that of the faction quests, their leaders and their interaction with each other, is enormous.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 2

It'll probably be a Galawain DLC continuing from his Jurassic Seaworld, just like how the Archmage business in which Wael appears, and Rymrgand, who appears in the Animancer questline, fit with the descriptions of the other DLC.

Though Durance could definitely count as a savage example of "Eora's most dangerous"; especially in the presence of fiery whores.

It'll probably be a Galawain DLC continuing from his Jurassic Seaworld, just like how the Archmage business in which Wael appears, and Rymrgand, who appears in the Animancer questline, fit with the descriptions of the other DLC.

Though Durance could definitely count as a savage example of "Eora's most dangerous"; especially in the presence of fiery whores.

I'm kind of even more excited now. I didn't see Galawain connections until now.

So what's with all the spooky foreshadowing about old friends and fire, then?

I read one of Xoti's visions as strongly implying that Durance was a Death Guard.  (This with an imported save where he's on his anti-Magran crusade.)

Anyhow, the intended "old friend" in that fortune is probably Eothas.  Or, more specifically, the parts of the Watcher's soul hanging out inside of Eothas. 

• Like 7

I read one of Xoti's visions as strongly implying that Durance was a Death Guard.  (This with an imported save where he's on his anti-Magran crusade.)

Anyhow, the intended "old friend" in that fortune is probably Eothas.  Or, more specifically, the parts of the Watcher's soul hanging out inside of Eothas. 

I thought this too - except I received this fortune after He Waits In Fire. The fortune teller also specifically says that the old friend is 'a man'. 

But who can take over MCA writing ? Maybe they can get Eric Fenstermaker back, since he did better job on PoE1 than the PoE2 critical path writer.

Fenstermaker did fine with Eder in Deadfire and almost everyone loved his Zahua as well, and I really like Paul Kirsch's work in both Tyranny and Deadfire.Don't know who wrote Serafen, but he/she did a good job at making a typical pirate more interesting than you'd expect. Overall, Deadfire's an amazing game so long as you ignore the critical path, which is how most people end up playing it from what I've read on the fora; If those writers are given more space on the DLC, I don't think we'll be disappointed.

I'll miss Avellone's crazily opinionated wise chaotic trial characters, but there should be enough talent at obsidian to make up for it.

• Like 3