Quick Question Regarding White that Wends Naming Conventions?

Hey guys, 

So, had a quick question regarding naming conventions for the White that Wends. Does anyone have any info regarding etymology of those names? The only ones I think we really have (Assuming they're both from that region) are Glasvahl and Ydwin. I tried doing a little bit of research for the origins of both of those names, but I wound up just getting directed to the wiki pages and dozens of threads wondering why Ydwin isn't a full companion (Well, I'd gladly trade her in for Serafen any day as a Cipher, but maybe that's just me). 

Considering that I'm in this for the roleplay, I like coming up with names that are appropriate for the setting and, specifically, the culture my character is representing. So I'd appreciate any input.  

Oh man I had the same problem when I made my Watcher. I picked an old nordic name for them, Skaði.

It looks like in the first DLC, coming in late July, we'll get some pale elf lore. Spoilers: here is a post with portraits (and names) of new pale elves NPCs. Or just names, without portraits if you want to be surprised:

Brythe

Ehrys

Hafjorn

Karlodh

Leksi

Nyvardir

Valbrendhur

Rynhaedr

Also, according to wikia, here are all named NPCs from both PoE and Deadfire. Most of them are actually from White that Wends.

Deadfire:

Udita

Aeflyn (not sure if she's from WtW)

Caergr

Lyslódhir

Ydwin

PoE:

Freyol (not sure if she's from WtW)

Iqali

Vesgel

Lafda (not sure if she's from WtW)

Vamrel

Edited by handsomenat
  • Like 5

I read somewhere that White That Wends names were based on (and sometimes flat out borrowed from) real Greenlandic/Nordic/Inuit names.

I therefore did a Google search for female names and came up with Oorsi for my character :)

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 2

I spent some hours naming my pale elf female from first game.

She is called Memsaab Sherpas. I was reading about the Sherpa back then, and I had in my mind pale elves as Himalayan elves. More than that, I found some similarity between Rymrgand and the theme of death in hymalayan mountaineering.

Looking at the ingame names, I can see no clear pattern :/   I can think of some nordic, inuit and indian roots, but it's not clear which is obsidian inspiration.