What sub 60 IQ retard made this interaction?

I remade a game on Trial of Iron on POTD. Finishing up some exploring I didn't get to do with my previous game. And my (about) 20 might, 20 dex, 20 constitution watcher fighter monk character could not cross a rope because of some... athletics check? And instantly wiped my party with no interaction whatsoever.

post-214949-0-76247200-1530587203_thumb.png

• Like 1

You deserved it.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You are doing Trial of Iron without any meta knowledge about certain areas.

You get angry when something unexpected happens.

Erm...

Also: you can examine the rope before AND the game tells you that an athletics check will follow. What did you expect when failing an athletics check while trying to cross a very, very deep chasm while hanging on a dangling rope?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Erm...

Also: you can examine the rope before AND the game tells you that an athletics check will follow. What did you expect when failing an athletics check while trying to cross a very, very deep chasm while hanging on a dangling rope?

Might be me, but my experience with similar athletics checks in the game is that contrary to meaning instadeath upon failure, they usually lead to "barely making it through", but gaining a wound in the process. Of course I haven't played the game solo or in Path of the Damned yet so things may be different in those modes, but if the above is still the case in these playthroughs then I do think it's a legitimate complaint if the game sets an expected outcome for failing these checks that is far less drastic than what they suddenly got.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Erm...

Might be me, but my experience with similar athletics checks in the game is that contrary to meaning instadeath upon failure, they usually lead to "barely making it through", but gaining a wound in the process. Of course I haven't played the game solo or in Path of the Damned yet so things may be different in those modes, but if the above is still the case in these playthroughs then I do think it's a legitimate complaint if the game sets an expected outcome for failing these checks that is far less drastic than what they suddenly got.

All I know is that I think in POE 1 the most harm it would ever do is put you in a perilous situation with a chance to fight back. In POE 2, it is exactly the same except for what I assume is the one and only interaction that will instantly kill your party.

Erm...

The complaint might be legitimate but it's delivery with insults is not okay. Therefor I find it difficult to take the OP seriously.

• Like 3

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

What sub 60 IQ retard doesn't consider that the skillchecks in contexts the dialogue obviously sketches as dangerous and IN IRONMAN might have ramifications? 

Nah the game is terribly inconsistent with checks. Lifting a wagon? Strength. Swimming? Athletics. Or not athletics. This one is constitution. Swinging on on a rope. Athletics. Grabbing gems. Dexterity. Wiping a party on such ambiguous terms is ridiculous.

• Like 2

What sub 60 IQ retard doesn't consider that the skillchecks in contexts the dialogue obviously sketches as dangerous and IN IRONMAN might have ramifications? 

Nah the game is terribly inconsistent with checks. Lifting a wagon? Strength. Swimming? Athletics. Or not athletics. This one is constitution. Swinging on on a rope. Athletics. Grabbing gems. Dexterity. Wiping a party on such ambiguous terms is ridiculous.

In plenty of wilderness interactions you can pass checks with sufficient perception or sufficient survival. We could really do with some overlap with athletics and physical attributes that befit the situation.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Guess Berath is looking for a new watcher. Wonder what the job ad says?

"Only serious watchers need apply. Must be physically fit and in good health. Needs to have a good understanding of his/her limits and of cause and consequence. Climbing skills advised.

PS Climbing skills REALLY advised.

PPS Climbing skills compulsory."

Berath

0800heraldofdeathanddestruction

Email:berath@heraldofdoom.com

No chancers!

• Like 12

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

On that I agree. More consistency with checks would be nice. I would only use skills, not stats. But again: you were told that an athletic check follows and you could have cancelled the whole action. Because the situation seems to be rather dangerous without sufficient athletics, right? But you chose to take the risk, thinking "Screw it - what can possibly go wrong?"

That wasn't the wisest decision in the first place - but I can understand your frustration (especially when considering the mushy skill checks implementation). However, now calling the designers of this obstacle sub 60 IQ retards because you went the foolhardy way doesn't shine the brightest light on you as you can read from the reactions your initial post gets.

It's like playing Russian Roulette and complaining that on the fourth try a shot fell when three times before nothing happened... AND calling the guy who loaded the gun a sub 60 IQ retard... ;)

By the way: in PoE you could also die when failing skill checks. That's nothing new. Remember the elevator in Durgan's Battery?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods