Any chance we could get the same control over skill points per level as we do with a tag like "WeaponProficiencyPointsByCharacterLevel"?

Would be really cool if we could adjust the amount of skill points you get each level in the same way we can for Super Charges Weapon Proficiency inter alia.

I was hoping for something like this:

"SuperChargeCountByCharacterLevel": ["0", "3", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0", "0"],

"WeaponProficiencyPointsByCharacterLevel": ["2", "0", "0", "1", "0", "0", "0", "1", "0", "0", "0", "1", "0", "0", "0", "1", "0", "0", "0", "1"],

But for Skills instead of Super Charges Weapon Proficiency.

Edit: Changed Super Chargers to Weapon Proficiency to avoid any confusion.

Edited by Spherical

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface
Nexus Mods | Steam Workshop

Hehe

That key is in gamedata/global.gamedatabundle

No - I dunno what it does

I found this topic amusing so took a little time out to search 

Blow me down - it actually exists

I have sod all idea what it does

All I can tell you with certainty is that the key exists EXCTLY once

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

You can adjust skill points per level as per this thread

I'm not sure that the category of points as originally described in that thread applies any more but I haven't tried it out.  It would be nice to be able to restrict passives vs abilities a little but I think there's only one kind of point now and you can spend it on whatever.  I haven't tested this but even if it works it's not intended (at this point) and could be removed in the future.  Or altered.

Given that level cap will likely change (and you can change it yourself now) I'm not sure how the empower points method would still work.  Can you just tack more commas in... The other method though more cumbersome explicitly references a level so it should translate.

Would need some dev input on the obsolete category vs categories stuff.  Is "257" still valid as a passive-only point and will it remain so?

You can adjust skill points per level as per this thread

I'm not sure that the category of points as originally described in that thread applies any more but I haven't tried it out.  It would be nice to be able to restrict passives vs abilities a little but I think there's only one kind of point now and you can spend it on whatever.  I haven't tested this but even if it works it's not intended (at this point) and could be removed in the future.  Or altered.

Given that level cap will likely change (and you can change it yourself now) I'm not sure how the empower points method would still work.  Can you just tack more commas in... The other method though more cumbersome explicitly references a level so it should translate.

Would need some dev input on the obsolete category vs categories stuff.  Is "257" still valid as a passive-only point and will it remain so?

Are you talking about this line of code?

Example#1 - Ciphers

{
    "$type": "Game.GameData.ClassProgressionTableComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
    "CategoryNames": [{
            "Category": "General",
            "DisplayName": 2935 <= Initial Abilities (gui.stringtable)
        }
    ],
    "AbilityPointUnlocks": [{
            "Level": 1,
            "CategoryObsolete": "General",
            "Categories": "257",
            "Points": 1,
            "UnlockDescription": 2925 <= Choose One Initial Ability (gui.stringtable)
        }
    ]
}

Example#2 - Chanters

{
    "$type": "Game.GameData.ClassProgressionTableComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
    "CategoryNames": [{
            "Category": "General",
            "DisplayName": 1435 <= Invocations (gui.stringtable)
        }, {
            "Category": "Custom1",
            "DisplayName": 1434 <= Phrases (gui.stringtable)
        }
    ],
    "AbilityPointUnlocks": [{
            "CategoryObsolete": "General",
            "Categories": "257",
            "UnlockDescription": 3332 <= Choose One Initial Invocation (gui.stringtable)
        }, {
            "CategoryObsolete": "Custom1",
            "Categories": "8",
            "UnlockDescription": 3331 <= Choose One Initial Phrase (gui.stringtable)
        }
    ]
}

Because that code doesn't do what I'm asking about. I'm asking for control over how many Skill Points you get per level, not Ability Points.

Edited by Spherical

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface

Because that code doesn't do what I'm asking about. I'm asking for control over how many Skill Points you get per level, not Ability Points.

Ahhh done by terminology.  I automatically translated skill points into ability points in my mind without thinking.

You can add specific skills per levels via progressiontable but I couldn't see an obvious way to alter skillpoints per level (either in the documentation or gamedatabundles).  I can think of a possible workaround but it's messy on all fronts.  You could add a custom category to abilitiy points and have a choice of passive custom skills available that add a point to each respective skill via a corresponding permanent status effect but that's so messy it'd probably break the UI.  So many icons.  So much text.

Another way might be a scripted NPC that gifts skillpoints per level.  This isn't as messy on the GUI but it's a lot of modding.  You could check peardox's conversation modding (when it's finished) and when it's properly implemented (I thought it would be this patch) if you're really keen on adding this in a cleaner way.  If another method occurs to me I'll drop back in but I can't see an easy way out (except for the hardcoded skillchoices which is supereasy modding but gives no real options to the player).

Ahhh done by terminology.  I automatically translated skill points into ability points in my mind without thinking.

You can add specific skills per levels via progressiontable but I couldn't see an obvious way to alter skillpoints per level (either in the documentation or gamedatabundles).  I can think of a possible workaround but it's messy on all fronts.  You could add a custom category to abilitiy points and have a choice of passive custom skills available that add a point to each respective skill via a corresponding permanent status effect but that's so messy it'd probably break the UI.  So many icons.  So much text.

Another way might be a scripted NPC that gifts skillpoints per level.  This isn't as messy on the GUI but it's a lot of modding.  You could check peardox's conversation modding (when it's finished) and when it's properly implemented (I thought it would be this patch) if you're really keen on adding this in a cleaner way.  If another method occurs to me I'll drop back in but I can't see an easy way out (except for the hardcoded skillchoices which is supereasy modding but gives no real options to the player).

Yeah those are the ways I've figured as well. Not something I'd like to jump into as it's currently a lot easier to just add skillpoints via console commands every time my party levels up.

That's why I was hoping for BMac to expose the code governing the skill-points-per-level in a future patch. One can hope :)

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface

I looked at the code and the way it's structured will unfortunately make it difficult to grant different numbers of skill points on level up.  It would be nice to change this, but I don't think it will be a priority for the next patch.

• Like 3

I looked at the code and the way it's structured will unfortunately make it difficult to grant different numbers of skill points on level up.  It would be nice to change this, but I don't think it will be a priority for the next patch.

That's a shame but thank you so much for checking it out to see if it was even possible to do. You guys are awesome and I'm enjoying Deadfire a ton (also your modding support is truly outstanding)! Thank you guys!

Edited by Spherical

Editor and Designer
Enhanced User Interface