Crashing in specific spots - Hard Crash, Computer Resets

je11in

Question

I've seen other crash reports, I think mine is different but if I need to add on to an existing thread, please let me know. 

My Issue is that when I reach a specific part of the game (this has happened in 2 different areas now) my entire computer crashes, I mean, like, no warning, just it just reboots (no shutdown).  It's been pretty consistently at 2 specific parts of the game (so far).  I got past the first one by just leaving the area and continuing on, but I reached another spot where it happened again exactly in the same way.  I was able to avoid the second one by saving right before it crashed, and then one time it didn't crash so I was able to advance.  However I returned to the original crash spot and it crashed again. 

I've messed with reducing the Framerate, disabling VSYNC, lowering the MSAA rate, disabling telemetry, removing the steam overlay.  I've run the game without other applications open, and with like firefox and some system monitoring applications up.  But it always seems to crash in the same places.  It's so predictable I really think it must be an issue with the game (and maybe a conflict with the game and my hardware).  Essentially i get to a specific place in the game, usually around where enemies will spawn, but not every time enemies spawn, and the whole computer just shuts down immediately with no warning. 

One thing I'm not 100% positive about, is that I recently replaced my GPU, and while i haven't been able to cause a crash with any other games, or applications, with my new GPU, of course I'm not sure that it's entirely not the issue, so if anyone has any ideas to help me rule our my new GPU I'm open to those suggestions.  I tried running 3 instances of the glmark2 application at the same time, for an hour, and while my fans kicked in pretty good, and the CPU's neared 80 degrees Celsius,  I really didn't experience any visible changes in performance.  and it certainly never crashed on me.  I played Alien: Isolation for 2 hours with no crashes, and Dota2 for 1+ hours with no crashes. 

I played for ~45 hours with my old GPU with no crashes of this nature.  The game did crash a couple of times during start-up and a couple of times while playing with the old GPU but it was never this predictable and didn't re-occur.  Before it started crashing I was able to play for ~3 hours with the new GPU before encountering these issues. 

My Specs:
RAM: 16GB DDR3 G.SKILL
CPU: Intel i5-4440 Haskell
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB Drive
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB
MB: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer
PSU: Antec 500W (I don't know the exact model, it's probably ~6 years old)

Old GPU (that I didn't have any predictable problems with): EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1GB ( about 6 years old )

I'm using the AMD amdpgu-pro drivers currently but I did experience the same crashes with the open source drivers as well.  Another thought I had was that maybe my PSU wasn't powerful enough for my new GPU, but honestly I'm not sure how to test that, and also, the game crashes in such an predicable places, that I don't really believe this.  I can play for a while and be exploring without issues but then it crashes in exactly the same place in game play multiple times in a row.  Lastly, sites like PCpartpicker.com tell me I'm almost 100w under where i need to be.  And while I understand that pure wattage isn't enough to determine whether your PSU is sufficient, as I've mentioned I've been unable to reproduce this behavior in any other application.  If anyone has an idea about how I can do this I'd really appreciate it. 

Where It Crashes:

In Nekketakka in the hanging sepulchers in the Sacred Stair, the second tomb you encounter (right by the entrance if you open the secret door) inside that room the game will consistently crash. At first it was just after the enemies spawned, but recently as I run into the room.

Also in Nekketakka (sp?), also in the Sacred Stair, once I enter the portal the animancers open for me with the adra spire, I enter 'Hel' and am able to progress through the level until the last fight with the 'Soul Collector', the game will crash as soon as combat starts. 2x I was able to get the game past there, but probably 8x before that it crashed repeatedly as soon as combat started.

I'll attach my Player.log file, but I haven't been able to locate the other crash files ( I don't know if they're not being created or what, if someone could help me locate/create them I'm happy to. And I've attached the last 2 save files before the most recent crash.  And if there's anything else I can share please let me know. 

Thanks so much, Love the game so far, can't wait to get past these issues!

EDIT: Couldn't upload the save file before the save file before the crash so I've linked it here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OehHyLv4kOWNMwEnaRh9_HGbe9sqKkqy

Also uploaded the files, apparently I didn't do that properly when I wrote my post.

EDIT 2: I'm including some snippets from my journalctl from where the game crashed, the first one is when I was using the closed source amdgpu-pro drivers, and the the second is while I was using the open source mesa drivers:

AMDGPU-PRO (closed source) - https://pastebin.com/raw/r6epG5pJ

Open Source Mesa Drivers - https://pastebin.com/raw/XwNY04v7

Although the log files say that there is a crash file, I'm unable to locate it on my hard drive.  So either it's not really getting created or it's getting whisked away by some mechanism I don't understand.  

Player.log.zip

Jellin (d6f4a81c-2043-49b8-a7ce-03f450d31bd6) autosave_0.savegame.zip

Edited by je11in

2 answers to this question

I'd rule out the power supply being a problem since you've been able to stress test other games and benchmarks without crashing or random reboots.  

Was the previous GPU you were using an Nvidia one by any chance? I think there is something going on with the current builds of PoE2 and AMD GPUs. Case in point: this player swapped out an R9 390 for a 1050 Ti and the crashes went away. For me personally, I can only get about 15 minutes of playtime before the game crashes on my R9 380 with the latest (18.6.1) Radeon drivers. Earlier builds (along with drivers) were crash prone but not nearly so much.

If you still have your previous GPU and it's an Nvidia one, I would be really interested to know if swapping it back fixes the hard crash issue with PoE2.

I'd rule out the power supply being a problem since you've been able to stress test other games and benchmarks without crashing or random reboots.  

Was the previous GPU you were using an Nvidia one by any chance? I think there is something going on with the current builds of PoE2 and AMD GPUs. Case in point: this player swapped out an R9 390 for a 1050 Ti and the crashes went away. For me personally, I can only get about 15 minutes of playtime before the game crashes on my R9 380 with the latest (18.6.1) Radeon drivers. Earlier builds (along with drivers) were crash prone but not nearly so much.

If you still have your previous GPU and it's an Nvidia one, I would be really interested to know if swapping it back fixes the hard crash issue with PoE2.

I do still have it, and to be honest it's about the only thing I haven't swapped back in.   But I could.  I'll give that a shot and try some of these zones that have given me problems.  That's just a bummer cause, the old one was pretty sluggish and (not bad but) not great.  But yeah I'll edit my original post and include my old GPU.  but just to respond here it was EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1GB.  It's about 6 years old (I think - I'm kinda guessing on this one).  I'll have to swap it out though and see if I can get past some of these trouble areas with that.