Most anticipated games .... your wishlist of games to come

I have currently only one in mind, since there are a lot of already released games that I have yet to have and play.

Powerslave/Exhumed EX, if Nightdive is still planning to make it.

It's not really a new game per se, and I already have its original PC and Saturn versions of course, but after the Turok series re-releases, I'd love to see Exhumed in the lights again. To me, still one of the most underrated FPS.

Cyberpunk 2077

Dying Light 2

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

PoE2 DLC

Resident Evil 2 Remake

World of Warcraft Classic

Edit: and Project Indiana, of course...

You think you do but you don't.

Oh I know I do, Allen... :yes:

Edited by Lorfean

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Jokes aside, I don't think he's entirely wrong. The experience of vanilla won't be the same experience WoW: Classic will give. It wasn't the game mechanics that made vanilla good, it was the people and the zeitgeist. The game itself was utter ****.

Jokes aside, I don't think he's entirely wrong. The experience of vanilla won't be the same experience WoW: Classic will give. It wasn't the game mechanics that made vanilla good, it was the people and the zeitgeist. The game itself was utter ****.

He does have a point, and the experience won't be the same -- it can't be -- but I disagree that the game was ****. The people and the zeitgeist played a very big part in the experience a lot of players remember and yearn for, for sure, but what WoW as a game provided back then was a massive world that was a ton of fun to explore, where you could run into very challenging rare / elite encounters that could only be defeated by mastering your full arsenal of spells and abilities or getting other players' help, with big epic dungeons that couldn't be facerolled but required groups to pace themselves, use CC, etc, with itemization and crafting systems that actually meant something because rare and epic items weren't thrown at you every step of the way, and where leveling was a big part of the experience (and for a lot of players the experience, period.) rather than a barrier to the actual game.

It's fundamentally different from what WoW has become, with all its conveniences -- its group finders, raid finders, collections of toys and mounts and pets, daily quests and world quests and weekly quests and mini games, and so on and so on... And I do think there are a lot of people who simply prefer that type of game. It was a lot more like to a huge multiplayer open world CRPG where you can just go adventuring with a few buddies, and where the journey is the important / fun part, not the destination.

My Backloggery

I'd say it was by mastering a full arsenal of exploits and balance issues, and not picking the wrong class so you were essentially banned from all that content.

Maybe my experience as a Shaman was different from yours, but as far as I know every single hybrid class had two options: Heal or stop playing. How about how encounters required the rest of the group to just stop playing for minutes on end because of the threat system? Or the transparent timesinks of "resistence" gear that somehow people don't remember when they complain about timegating and grinding. Or how the challenging encounters you mention on my rogue alt weren't challenging because they were hard, they just took a long time because I had to recharge energy for 12 seconds after every two or three attacks. Or every single boss being nothing but a gear check because fight mechanics didn't really exist. Or how Warriors were the only people really capable of tanking. Or how doing anything in the leveling experience without being rested essentially handicapped you and forced you to grind mobs for the last few levels because you couldn't get enough experience otherwise, so you either had to stop playing and log out in an inn for a day or prepare to kill the same mobs for hours on end. And how about to get a raid spot you had to know NOT to upgrade your spell ranks while you leveled because the lower ranks were more effective. Or how druid healers would to trade for cloth items because the itemization of the entire game made no sense if you weren't a warrior tank or priest healer. Or how Blackrock Spire and Maraudon exemplify all the downsides of vanilla dungeons design, being enormous, impossible to navigate through and took longer than any raid in the history of the game. Oh, and only some classes had that CC that was required. Good luck running any dungeons with any undead in it without a Priest! Oh, and your class could and would be made entirely useless by Blizzard at the drop of a hat. Mages were dropped from every raiding guild when Molten Core came out, because only Fire Mages were capable of doing any damage and everything in it was immune to fire. And farming shards! And finally, how about all the trash respawning while you waited for a single dead person to come back because graveyards were always a fifteen minute walk away from any instance.

I do agree with one thing though - I despise the current "go go go" way of dungeons. Even the new Mythic+ dungeons, while fixing the difficulty and requiring CC and itemization, are all about racing through it.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is Monopoly is fun with friends. This was just an early game to allow that online - if it wasn't this one, it would have been another one. That's never coming back, and it had very little to do with this specific game.

I'm pretty sure the only reason I managed to play WoW on-and-off for a decade despite starting as a rogue was by clinging on like a Remora to a warrior and druid I met while levelling.

That, and Improved Sap. Y'know, the skill that only had a 10% chance of "screw you, you die now" every time you use it.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

See, a lot of the things you mention directly apply to endgame / raiding, and my argument was that, for a lot of players, that wasn't what vanilla was about.

Hybrids were fine in leveling / dungeon content, and in most cases wouldn't even have to spec out of their DPS talents to heal or tank efficiently -- with some planning you could even be an effective actual hybrid because the talent system allowed that. Druids were fine tanking that content, too. Sure there were a couple of dungeons that were a bitch to navigate and get through, but then there was also Shadowfang Keep, Scarlet Monastery, Deadmines, Scholomance, Stratholme, Sunken Temple, Blackfathom Deeps and Wailing Caverns, which were awesome. Yes, the threat system was unforgiving and required players to wait for the tank to build threat, but that forced the group to pace themselves, which I'll take over rofl-jumping from group to group, pulling the entire instance and AoE'ing everything down and *still* having the DPS complain "wtf tank y u no go faster?!" any day. Same thing for healers needing mana breaks.

Believe it or not, some people don't mind (and some actually like) the inconveniences that vanilla had. It added to the experience for them. People are different, and people play games in different ways, for different reasons, and with different priorities, especially WoW.

Edit:

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is Monopoly is fun with friends. This was just an early game to allow that online - if it wasn't this one, it would have been another one. That's never coming back, and it had very little to do with this specific game.

I think you're oversimplifying the game to an unfair degree. That might be your opinion / experience -- it wasn't and isn't mine. But I think we can just agree to disagree here and let the thread get back to its actual topic ;)

Edited by Lorfean
  • Like 1

My Backloggery

Sub to Everquest for a while or find a private EQ2 server with a game version that's before LU24.

Then come back and talk about classic WoW. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Sub to Everquest for a while or find a private EQ2 server with a game version that's before LU24.

Then come back and talk about classic WoW. ;)

Not sure how to interpret this, but no thanks. I never played EQ or EQ2 and don't feel like learning an old school MMO from scratch. The fact that I know WoW in all its incarnations -- and have fond memories of its earlier years and how its world and systems looked and felt back then -- obviously plays a big part in my looking forward to Classic, too.

Also, something I didn't mention in my previous replies -- after the recent dev watercooler blog post on Classic, I did start a character on a private vanilla 1.12 server to see for myself if I would still enjoy that version of the game, and I did very much so. The thing for me is that I am not interested in approaching it as a hardcore player. I just want to go adventuring and explore the world with a couple of friends (and maybe meet some new ones). Level up, run some dungeons, work on professions, etc. That stuff is fun to me.

Edited by Lorfean

My Backloggery