BUG - High level items in crookspur beach behind merchant

At the very start of your game pretty much as soon as you leave port maje you can sail to crookspur beach and get legendary armour and legendary sabre for free.

You can stealth behind the merchant there and get it.

After you get this it makes the game far to easy. Can you please make it so you cant get these items like this

Thanks

• Like 1

At the very start of your game pretty much as soon as you leave port maje you can sail to crookspur beach and get legendary armour and legendary sabre for free.

After you get this it makes the game far to easy. Can you please make it so you cant get these items like this

Thanks

This isn't a bug, IMO.  Several merchants can have SOME of their inventory stolen in nearby crates, by design.

What you're describing here is just a 'feature' of the Open World design.

After going back there with another save, you didn't mention the fact that those crates have locks of difficulty 15.  I think if someone invests in enough stealth to get by them (the merchants there have fairly high stealth detection) AND enough points in mechanics to pick diff 15 locks, then that's up to them to spend their points that way.

There are more than a few areas once folks leave Port Maje  where folks can get good/great items if they plow all of their points into stealth/mechanics.  This is the downside to an Open World design.  If someone knows where stuff is at, they can pop in, grab it, and then pop out.  Same thing can be done by plowing through Nekataka and grabbing loot off of various merchants or various other places in the world.

i was able to do it when i was a level 6 rogue with beraths blessings and the gloves that give +2 mechanics, you can use lockpicks aswell remember.

So no your argument off  "if you want to put skill points in mechanical you can do what you want" clearly is not justified.

Getting legendary equipment like this right after leaving port maje is just stupid. Not only that both the items you can get are arguably the most powerful in the game espcially the armour. It gives you 14 AR= God Mode

it would be better if Obsidian made it so that you cant steal high level items like this you have to buy them

This would be more rewarding and still be open world

The devil of caroc breast plate is also far to easy to get. Please make it so that you cant steal this item and please increase its price more

Edited by no1fanboy

i was able to do it when i was a level 6 rogue with beraths blessings and the gloves that give +2 mechanics, you can use lockpicks aswell remember.

So no your argument off  "if you want to put skill points in mechanical you can do what you want" clearly is not justified.

Getting legendary equipment like this right after leaving port maje is just stupid. Not only that both the items you can get are arguably the most powerful in the game espcially the armour. It gives you 14 AR= God Mode

it would be better if Obsidian made it so that you cant steal high level items like this you have to buy them

The devil of caroc breast plate is also far to easy to get. Please make it so that you cant steal this item and please increase its price more

So you're using a New Game Bonus character with boosted stats (which the game isn't balanced against) AND a character who already visited Nekataka and got stuff from shops?  That's hardly going straight to Crookspur once one leaves Port Maje.

Yeah, not seeing the problem here.  

======

Also, Crookspur is way out of the way, so newbies won't be accidentally going there.  Plus, as you said, you went into Nekataka and boosted your stats even more above and beyond the New Game Bonus stuff.

This is part and parcel of the Open World.  If you know where things are, you can go beeline for them and grab them.

The only real way to stop this sort of thing is to close off the Open World aspect of the game.  And the horse left the barn on this point long long ago.

• Like 4

So you're using a New Game Bonus character with boosted stats (which the game isn't balanced against) AND a character who already visited Nekataka and got stuff from shops?  That's hardly going straight to Crookspur once one leaves Port Maje.

Yeah, not seeing the problem here.  

======

Also, Crookspur is way out of the way, so newbies won't be accidentally going there.  Plus, as you said, you went into Nekataka and boosted your stats even more above and beyond the New Game Bonus stuff.

This is part and parcel of the Open World.  If you know where things are, you can go beeline for them and grab them.

The only real way to stop this sort of thing is to close off the Open World aspect of the game.  And the horse left the barn on this point long long ago.

well no 

I said just make the items so you cant steal them. Leave them there but make it that you have to buy them.

Still open world and problem solved

and i also am not understanding your arguement there. I was able to do it at level 6 nuff said.

Edited by no1fanboy

BTW, I'm fairly certain the highest level lock in the game is around level 18 or so (in the Splintered Reef), and these are just 3 points under that.

So if you can pick nearly the highest level locks in the game at level 6.... And will be able to pick the highest level at level 8 (especially after you boost your Mechanics via trait buying)?  Congrats, I guess?

These are level 15 locks with folks guarding it who have fairly decent stealth detection.  I can see an argument for bumping up the stealth detection a bit more so it's harder to sneak past them. 

But, I got to be honest with you, I lost some amount of sympathy for this complaint when I saw these were Level 15 locks and pretty much most of the rest when you said you were using New Game Benefits. 

I dunno.  I think people lose the right to complain about balance at least a little bit when they're using tools that intentionally throw game balance off. ;)

and i also am not understanding your arguement there. I was able to do it at level 6 nuff said 

Level 6 with New Game Bonuses that intentionally make the game much easier is a tad different than Level 6 by itself.   As for the rest, see above. :)

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 2

It's metagaming, plain and simple, and metagaming isn't something you can forbid in a replayable and reloadable computer game. No different from mysteriously pumping history on a character because you know of a certain cloak. The question is always how rewarding metagaming should be, but that's a balance discussion, not a bug :)

• Like 6

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

It's metagaming, plain and simple, and metagaming isn't something you can forbid in a replayable and reloadable computer game. No different from mysteriously pumping history on a character because you know of a certain cloak. The question is always how rewarding metagaming should be, but that's a balance discussion, not a bug :)

Here's an example that I suspect many people don't know.  If you have a Perception of 22 (yes, I said ***22***), you can find a hidden key in Dimesa's Treasure Trove store in Dunnage.  That key will then open up a Lvl 15 locked container that has the superb unique armor  Iridescent Scale in it.

But who runs around in the game with a Perception of twenty freaking two, just to find the most hidden of hidden easter eggs?

*cough*

Not me, that's for sure. 

*cough*

(My next run I'm planning on running around with a baseline Perception of around 25, just to see what I've missed)

But a Perception of 22 is fairly easy to get right off the bat.  Especially if one doesn't mind doing drugs and/or beelines for all of the Perception boosting items available in the early game.

Do that and I can get Iridescent Scale for free at level 5.  Just costs me some Sevf, a pet with Perception boost, and a character that "just happened" to think Perception was a God Stat in this game (for their play style at least).

Another example would be that one can get the key to Arkemyr's Manor with a god like Perception by finding it in a hidden stash near Fassina.  Either 21 or 22, IIRC.  Then one can bypass the lock that's on the door, as well as all of the other ways into the Manor.

===

But here's the thing.  The presence of the key there that unlocks that specific container which ONLY contains Iridescent Scale makes it obvious that Obsidian did this intentionally.  And for folks who didn't go crazy on Perception, Mechanics, and Stealth, they can just buy it.

There's several places in the game where one can "rip off" merchants.  But given the high level of Mechanics needed to rob them, the guards usually staring straight at the containers, and the occasional presence of very well hidden keys which can unlock the blessed things...

Dunno.  Seems intentional game design to me. ;)

• Like 4

Oh, I don't believe it's not intended. But your Watcher prioritizing the skills/attributes required to pull these things off and forgoing the main plot to crisscross the Deadfire for these specific opportunities at theft, that's metagaming :p

The rewards for high perception are cool. Almost makes me wish it was a skill that could be party assisted though.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods

Oh, I don't believe it's not intended. But your Watcher prioritizing the skills/attributes required to pull these things off and forgoing the main plot to crisscross the Deadfire for these specific opportunities at theft, that's metagaming :p

True Story:

I actually cursed under my breath slightly when my by-then high level party strolled back into Treasure Trove to buy some gems and I heard the tell-tale "DING" as a realllllly tiny hidden compartment pinged into view.

Well, actually I said "GREAT! More loot to swi.... Oh, it's a key to something I ripped off long ago.  Wonderful."

THAT'S when I cursed slightly underneath my breath. :lol:  Right about that same time, I found the super hidden key to Arkemyr's Manor (which, incidentally caused me to swallow one of my gripes about how getting the key is handled, but that's for another post).

Does make me wonder just now many Percep 22+ things ARE in the game though and just what is the hardest to find hidden object in the game.

I plan on finding out. :lol:

• Like 1

Does make me wonder just now many Percep 22+ things ARE in the game though and just what is the hardest to find hidden object in the game.

I'm sorry, but a **** joke is gonna be required here...

GDI, everything gets censored. I think you understand anyway ^^

Edited by omgFIREBALLS
  • Like 1

My Deadfire mods

blah blah blah blah blah

so like i said a level 6 rogue can go get probably the best Armour in the game straight after leaving porte maje FOR FREE

oh and while he is there he gets a bonus legendary unique sabre thrown in to the deal

call it whatever you want this is stupidly insane and they need to change it

Thanks

i hope you are not trolling.

I don't think he is, but I also don't think he's right ;)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I‘m OK to be able to get a legendary weapon after leaving porte major, BUT it has to come from a legendary combat! Like the Carsomyr comes from the red dragon, you can get it once you leave the dungeon(if you are able to beat that dragon ofc).

• Like 2

I‘m OK to be able to get a legendary weapon after leaving porte major, BUT it has to come from a legendary combat! Like the Carsomyr comes from the red dragon, you can get it once you leave the dungeon(if you are able to beat that dragon ofc).

Yeah excactly. No combat to get this. You just jump in your boat and go pick it up doesnt even cost 1 gold piece.

I cant believe people are actually backing up that you can get the highest AR protection available in the game for free with no combat pretty much as soon as the game starts.

The armor needs to go.

Edited by no1fanboy
  • Like 1

Thanks

i hope you are not trolling.

Grow up child

• Like 1

Yeah excactly. No combat to get this. You just jump in your boat and go pick it up doesnt even cost 1 gold piece.

I cant believe people are actually backing up that you can get the highest AR protection available in the game for free with no combat pretty much as soon as the game starts.

The armor needs to go.

Your position would be a lot stronger if you didn't exaggerate and leave out a lot of key details.

Just sayin',

• Like 1

BTW, I was wrong about the bit about you being able to unlock level 18 locks by level 8 in your build.

You could do it by that current level 6 character by boosting your Mechanics score in Dunnage by +1 via a trainer (for 3000 gold), and using Thief's Putty.

So  If you can unlock the most difficult lock in the entire game (to my knowledge) at level 6... As I said, congrats, I guess.

BTW, I was wrong about the bit about you being able to unlock level 18 locks by level 8 in your build.

You could do it by that current level 6 character by boosting your Mechanics score in Dunnage by +1 via a trainer (for 3000 gold), and using Thief's Putty.

So  If you can unlock the most difficult lock in the entire game (to my knowledge) at level 6... As I said, congrats, I guess.

yeah excactly

So that means by level 6 you can sail everywhere in the Deadfire archipelago and get all the items from merchants that can be stolen

This is insane 

Obsidian can you please make it so you cant steal from merchants especially high end equiptment

Thanks

yeah excactly

So that means by level 6 you can sail everywhere in the Deadfire archipelago and get all the items from merchants that can be stolen

Yeah, ****IF**** you use Berath's Blessings, plus a bunch of other tricks.

I mean, you're intentionally building a Master Thief WITH New Game Bonuses.  It's not a surprise one can get a bunch of stuff that way.

====

Look, by putting Level 13 to 15 locks on most of these things, it's fairly obvious that Obsidian wants to make it so they can be stolen in the mid-game by most parties. They wouldn't put it in something that could be stolen if they didn't  want parties to have the chance to steal them.  Obvious point is obvious, but it should be repeated, I think.  Especially since you are emphatic that they shouldn't be stolen.

But if Obsidian wants them to be able be stolen at some point, it then becomes a question of balancing on how difficult it is to steal them.

You built an extreme build taking advantage of non-base game mechanics. Obsidian SHOULD NOT balance the game around Berath's Blessings, IMNSHO.  

So if we take out Berath's Blessings and we presume one just doesn't hire a bunch of adventures to rob everyone blind, having Level 15 locks seems like enough of a speed bump to me for the vast majority of players.  Even folks who have a couple of characters who max out Mechanics probably won't be getting them at the beginning of the game unless they push the engine to the extreme.

Maybe bump them up to 16, 17 or 18. Maybe put in a hard to detect trap. But even then, there'll be ways for folks who simply must steal things to build dedicated builds.  And putting in a bunch of Level 25 locks with Perception 25 to see traps is just plain ridiculous.

So we have three issues:

One:  Obsidian looks to have set up the game so these things can be stolen at some point in the game.

Two:  With the current lock/trap system it's nearly impossible to prevent mechanics/theft cheese builds, especially with the Party Assist feature.

Three: Obsidian shouldn't  balance the game around cheese builds and, ahem, lock out the game to the vast majority of players.

If you're asking me, the obvious solution here is to try to nerf lockpick Mechanics cheese builds.  But easier said than done on that point. But, hey, maybe they can think of a way.  They're nerfing other things, so maybe Extreme Party Assist will also be nerfed at some point along the way.

So bump up the lock diff a bit.  Build up the stealth detection of folks who guard these things.  Make it harder to steal. I can go along with all three points.  But don't make it so difficult that you, ahem again, lock out the vast majority of the player base.

Finally, I still stand by my original point that anyone using a Berath Blessing loses a fair amount of leeway to complain about Game Balance, IMO.

Adding 55k of gold at the beginning is going to imbalance the game.

Starting at level 4 is going to imbalance the game.

Having enhanced stats (in two different ways!) is going to imbalance the game.

Having free ship upgrades is going to... Well, you might guess what I'll say.

So you found that the game could be a bit imbalanced using a Berath Blessing based build that makes it easier for you to pick locks.  Color me unsurprised. :)
  • Like 4