Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 > PoE 2 Deadfire

• Please log in to reply
550 replies to this topic

Harpagornis

Harpagornis

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 470 posts

Druids are pretty powerful in BG able to beat the whole saga solo + no reload + SCS + Ascension + LoB. We even managed to get deep into ToB with a naked Totemic Druid (even no potions or scrolls allowed) using the rules mentioned before. Powerword: Summons!  :biggrin: 

• ThacoBell likes this

try2handing

try2handing

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

I didn't say anything about "fighting" druids. I said druids are BETTER at killing wizards than wizards are, so I rarely use wizards and I always have at least one druids. Did you play the game modded? (SCS or Spell Revisions perhaps?) Because I've never seen Insect Plague be reflected.  Also, when did I mention items? You might to actually try and debate with claims I actually made, rather make ones up wholesale.

Insect Plague type spells should not be subject to reflection. In terms of mechanics, they are like fireball - an aoe that won't center on a single target even if you actually click on it.

You fight wizards with wizards if you want a badass duel with counters after counters, with you and the enemy taking turn countering each other round after round. For me this is a source of great joy in BG2 combat. The fun is not in "to kill enemies", but in the HOW. There was one time I did a 2v2 duel with Edwin and Aerie against 2 liches. Now THAT was some good fun. Or, I could've just backstabbed them both the moment they spawned, instantly killing them. But that would be lame as hell. Shame most players these days don't bother with the whole "style" thing.

Edited by try2handing, 07 August 2018 - 01:39 PM.

• RoiCohen and cokane like this

ThacoBell

ThacoBell

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I didn't say anything about "fighting" druids. I said druids are BETTER at killing wizards than wizards are, so I rarely use wizards and I always have at least one druids. Did you play the game modded? (SCS or Spell Revisions perhaps?) Because I've never seen Insect Plague be reflected.  Also, when did I mention items? You might to actually try and debate with claims I actually made, rather make ones up wholesale.

Insect Plague type spells should not be subject to reflection. In terms of mechanics, they are like fireball - an aoe that won't center on a single target even if you actually click on it.

You fight wizards with wizards if you want a badass duel with counters after counters, with you and the enemy taking turn countering each other round after round. For me this is a source of great joy in BG2 combat. The fun is not in "to kill enemies", but in the HOW. There was one time I did a 2v2 duel with Edwin and Aerie against 2 liches. Now THAT was some good fun. Or, I could've just backstabbed them both the moment they spawned, instantly killing them. But that would be lame as hell. Shame most players these days don't bother with the whole "style" thing.

They aren't subject to reflection. The player either misremembered or used a modded set up.

Manveru123

Manveru123

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 629 posts

The problem with most Wizard vs Wizard duels was that at some point it turned to "who casts Time Stop first?". And the answer was always "me" because Robe of Vecna =)

try2handing

try2handing

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

The problem with most Wizard vs Wizard duels was that at some point it turned to "who casts Time Stop first?". And the answer was always "me" because Robe of Vecna =)

That has never been my problem because, 1) I stopped playing vanilla game after 1st playthrough, and 2) I adjust my spell usage so that it never boils down to who casts Time Stop first, so that there are OTHER things going on aside from Time Stop, so that I get FUN out of it.

If everything a player does is doing everything just to cast Time Stop first, and he gets fun out of that, hey good for him. If he doesn't get any fun out of that, he's playing the game wrong, and it's a shame that he wouldn't bother to try and find ways to make things fun and exciting, since the game actually allows him to do that.

If it's your 1st playthrough, you might play simply to win. From the 2nd playthrough onward, you play the game mostly to have fun.

Edited by try2handing, 08 August 2018 - 07:19 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 279 posts

Nope. I never, ever use or used Time Stop. There's just no need. Most 9th level spells are pretty useless, I would say. In fact, I have never even cast most of them. The ones I use are Spell Trap, Spellstrike and... that's it.

try2handing

try2handing

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

Nope. I never, ever use or used Time Stop. There's just no need. Most 9th level spells are pretty useless, I would say. In fact, I have never even cast most of them. The ones I use are Spell Trap, Spellstrike and... that's it.

Chain Contingency is good for creating fun combos. Black Blade of Disaster / Shapechange + backstab or Mind Flayer form's brain eating is good for the lol's, once in a while. And the occasional Gate or Wish for the added risk factor. I mean, the game is as fun as you choose to make it.

Edited by try2handing, 08 August 2018 - 09:57 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 279 posts

Absolutely! I just don't find those spells meaningful. But it's Power Word Kill that sucks more than anything else in the 9th level repertoire. I mean, if someone has only 50 hp left, they're already dead. Thus, the spell is useless. 4 and 9 are the spell levels that don't provide much for the wizard in BG2, in terms of quantity.

try2handing

try2handing

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts

I mean, if someone has only 50 hp left, they're already dead. Thus, the spell is useless.

Perhaps, provided he can't quaff another potion of superior healing or pop a Spell Trigger with Mislead + Immunity Divination + Spell Deflection (or something along those lines) before you can actually finish him off. Next thing you know, it takes you another 3 minutes, 2 dead party members, 12 potions of extra healing, to finally get the guy's hp to 0.

Edited by try2handing, 08 August 2018 - 10:43 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5806 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

This post sent me off on a journey of rereading about Vecna and his Robe, Eye, and Hand. :lol:

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1301 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This post sent me off on a journey of rereading about Vecna and his Robe, Eye, and Hand. :lol:

Don't forget his Head. ;)

• Gfted1 and Siegdarth like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users