Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Patch Notes for 1.2.0.0017

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Arranvin

Arranvin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Steam:Ranger Chris
  • PSN Portable ID:Ranger Chris
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Is nerfing the Ranger's Evasive Fire really warranted? The ability was good, it could hit hard and it let you kite, but it was only really powerful against one enemy or a small number, given that you can't aim the attack. Seeing as rangers are still consistently seen as one of the weakest classes (if not the weakest) I don't understand the reasoning behind nerfing one of their stronger abilities...

Edited by Arranvin, 05 July 2018 - 10:23 PM.

• IndiraLightfoot, AndreaColombo, wolfrider100 and 2 others like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
If that was the only unnecessary nerf, I’d be concerned. It appears, however, to fit the pattern rather seamlessly.

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

• Prices of Galleon and Junk ships have been doubled.

And I didn't bother with them even before, because I deemed them a complete waste of money. :lol:

I mean, should I spend it to save myself from pressing "1" 3 fewer times, or on weapons that I'll actually use to resolve the conflict with and save time there?

It does seem like a weird change. Players aren't using ship combat enough so let's increase the cost of admission. Voyager ftw.

Edited by Ophiuchus, 05 July 2018 - 11:39 PM.

• Colvane likes this

Cipher_Renegade

Cipher_Renegade

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So is there any point of leveling alchemy skill now?

Awkward Davies

Awkward Davies

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts

Still can't respec my PC chanter without losing my chant selected at L1.   :(

Enoch

Enoch

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3143 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So is there any point of leveling alchemy skill now?

Poisons

• Cipher_Renegade likes this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

• Monastic Unarmed Training now replaces the character's default unarmed attack with the base Monk attack.

What does this actually mean? Is it just talking about an animation change, or what?

Edited by gkathellar, 06 July 2018 - 04:13 PM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Probably that your fists’ base damage is replaced with the base damage of the Monk’s fists. I haven’t tested this, but before 1.2 Monastic Unarmed Training was completely useless as it gave a % damage increase over regular fist base damage, which was so small as no % increase would actually make a difference.

Edited by AndreaColombo, 06 July 2018 - 11:53 PM.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Probably that your fists’ base damage is replaced with the base damage of the Monk’s fists. I haven’t tested this, but before 1.2 Monastic Unarmed Training was completely useless as it gave a % damage increase over regular fist base damage, which was so small as no % increase would actually make a difference.

I guess that make sense.

Really, I don't see why it can't just be equal to Transcendent Suffering - spending an ability point to get access to something that still isn't as good as most legendary weapons seems like it would be fine. >_>

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14803 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
If I understand it correctly then that's what it is now: monk fist for everybody. I can't remember if Monastic gives drastically different scaling bonuses than Transcendent Suffering...?

However - I hope now a fun pitfighter build (that doesn't involve monk) is at least viable. I like the idea to bring my unarmed barb over from PoE.

fortuntek

fortuntek

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I understood it as an animation change only.

Guess we'll never know since no one is crazy enough to pick it :p

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If I understand it correctly then that's what it is now: monk fist for everybody. I can't remember if Monastic gives drastically different scaling bonuses than Transcendent Suffering...?

However - I hope now a fun pitfighter build (that doesn't involve monk) is at least viable. I like the idea to bring my unarmed barb over from PoE.

So I took a minute to create two hired adventurers and check. Unfortunately, they're only equal at PLs 1 and 3. By PL 9, a fighter with Monastic Unarmed Training is the equal of a monk at ... PL 6.

:(

(For reference: strikes start at +5% damage, +2 acc, +1 pen, and each upgrade seems to add +15% damage, +4 acc, +1 pen. Monks upgrade at PL 2, 4, 6, and 8. Monastic Unarmed Training upgrades at PL 3, 6, and 9. The patterns may or may not continue - I didn't test that.)

Edited by gkathellar, 08 July 2018 - 08:44 AM.

• AndreaColombo, ThacoBell, Sotnik and 1 other like this

Toobz

Toobz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In my view, the time for buffing and nerfing was during the beta.  Once the game is out and I've paid for a game, they shouldn't be radically changing the gameplay.

Changing the power level of different classes fundamentally changes the game.  Maybe I want a game where I can be an OP druid or whatever) and smash everything.  I do my research and find and POE2 provides that.  I buy the game and then Druids are nerfed.  The developers have, after the fact, taken away the reason that I bought the game.

As another (ridiculous) example, if I buy a computer chess game, and afterward the developer nerfs the queen so that the queen can move, at most, 4 spaces, I'm reasonably upset whether or not the queen was OP to begin with.

These balance changes may make some people happy, but personally, I wish I had done more research into Obsidians tendency to change gameplay post-release.

• Moragauth and ThacoBell like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14803 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Urgh - thanks for testing.

rone

rone

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Steam:ronebofh
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Reputation screen now displays the player choices that led to changes with the companions' relationship."

This dos not apply to faction relationship, and also doesn't show any data for events that occurred prior to applying 1.2.0, FWIW.

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts

In my view, the time for buffing and nerfing was during the beta.  Once the game is out and I've paid for a game, they shouldn't be radically changing the gameplay.

Changing the power level of different classes fundamentally changes the game.  Maybe I want a game where I can be an OP druid or whatever) and smash everything.  I do my research and find and POE2 provides that.  I buy the game and then Druids are nerfed.  The developers have, after the fact, taken away the reason that I bought the game.

As another (ridiculous) example, if I buy a computer chess game, and afterward the developer nerfs the queen so that the queen can move, at most, 4 spaces, I'm reasonably upset whether or not the queen was OP to begin with.

These balance changes may make some people happy, but personally, I wish I had done more research into Obsidians tendency to change gameplay post-release.

Buy on GOG!

You can play on whatever patch you want then. Definitely the best platform for digital purchases rn.

• ThacoBell likes this

gkathellar

gkathellar

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

FWIW, I do think the game feels better than it did two patches ago, and PoE1 build 3.0.7 is likewise a way better game than it was in build 1.0.1. So I do think there's a general trend towards improvement. But yes, I can totally understand the feeling, and it may be worth coming back to the game once all of the major DLC is out.

• M4xw0lf and ThacoBell like this

Sotnik

Sotnik

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Steam:76561198056541314

It is good that some game-breaking abilities were nerfed, although nerfing too much stuff will take feel of "special" from builds. Generally, it is better to buff underdog abilities than nerf good ones, provided that PotD is difficult enough.

• ThacoBell likes this

Parasol_Syndicate

Parasol_Syndicate

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 270 posts

If it's not too much trouble, could we get the rendering error on the Sanguine Greatsword fixed in a future patch? 

It's just one weapon, but it bothers me to look at unskinned textures in a 'finished' game. 

• TT1 and AndreaColombo like this

prodigydancer

prodigydancer

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 435 posts
After a few more patches every unique will be just a special skin for a regular blue and every active ability will be just a flashy animation for a primary attack. The game will be perfectly balanced and the nerf moar crowd will finally be happy.

EDIT: Actually, trolls who cry for more nerfs will never be happy but we still need to kneejerk to their every whim, don't we?

Edited by prodigydancer, 09 July 2018 - 10:39 AM.

• Whitewolfsp likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users