you don't need pirate flag to go to Deadlight

Well, if I understood Serafen right, we have to obtain either flag or spyglass to make sneaky appearance. Am I wrong?

You can accomplish that (sneaking in) without either a flag or spyglass yes

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

you don't need pirate flag to go to Deadlight

Well, if I understood Serafen right, we have to obtain either flag or spyglass to make sneaky appearance. Am I wrong?

You can accomplish that (sneaking in) without either a flag or spyglass yes
And with the spyglass you are able to roam about same as if you docked with the flag? Edited by Verde

• 10 months later...
On 6/29/2018 at 1:33 PM, Mari said:

Thanks for making this post. Its something I was wondering about as well.

From my experience, I would also suggest not visiting any of the islands until you finish going through Neketaka or get a specific quest to go there. I made the mistake of exploring first and finished so many quests before I even got them. It completely ruined the story and absolutely nothing made sense.

This is how I plan to do it next playthrough.

Port Maje > Deadlight > Dunnage > Go back to Deadlight when pirate lady sends you the letter > beeline straight for Palace > Talk to prince > Teheku > Explore Nekataka > Explore islands but only after receiving a quest for them (or they are empty loot islands) > DLC? > Hold off on Hosongo as long as I can > Ashen Maw > Finish loose ends > Go to Ukaizo  

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS! I explored to and was like doing my open world adventuring before I even went to Nekataka. I think I was level 10+ before I even hit the harbor there. And I am sure I just plain out missed so many quests by doing this. Now, I only have a handful of quests left and there are about 5 or 6 high level islands let and I have no quests to go there and I am sure they have to be, or I have screwed up the quest line. All my characters are level 20 and I havent went to Ashen Maw or Orio Koki (sp), or the island down in the SW where the giant Steel Golem is, Fampyr island, I do have a quest to go find Morio Koiki (sp) from the Prince. But yeah, I still have the three DLC to do as well. Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - The Beast of Winter, & Forgotten Sanctum as well. From what I was able to find out online, I am to do the Forgotten Sanctum after I have completed the "He who walks in Fire" quest there in Ashen Maw, but I am sure I am high for, The Beast of Winter. Not a clue on when to start , Seeker, Slayer, Survivor.

ANYWAY, I think I will just finish this one and start a new Cipher/Monk character and follow your directions here and head straight to Nekataka after I deal with the douche-bag that tries to murder you at the beginning of the game at Fort Deadlight.

Thanks mucho!

Luck and Loot to you,

Mereinid

I would say the exploration of Deadfire is pretty freeform, and works well as long as you allow quests to guide you. Don't stop on random isles with locations as you will jump in the middle of quest lines. Go were people tell you to go, but in what order is fairly irrelevant. That way you will cover vast majority of the content. When all is done finish the rest. I like to do Ashen maw sooner now, to access SSS content. It does rush several quests though.