Poll - Strongest/ Weakest Class (1.2.0)

Poll Strongest Class/ Weakest class (1.2.0)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. What class do you think is curently the strongest class

2. 2. What class do you think is currently the weakest

Both priest and ranger have basically 0 impact specializations by the way..

ranger ghost heart is more of a QOL change and the other 2 are awful

priest basically just changes the spells he gets around a bit and has no other effect

This is also true for cipher to some degree since +1PL from ascendant (ONLY when ascended) doesnt even get close to making up for the penalties.

Soul Blade just competes with casting and beguiler has another pretty significant penalty while not providing much (literally 2 int worth of range and some bonus focus from casting)

^i dont really understand why the PL bonus for cipher was nerfed while the PL bonus for wizard was buffed to the same bonus cipher ascendant had pre-nerf when wizard can make much more use of bonus PL with+missiles. (like yes, losing spell schools is bad but the payoff is bigger and more consistent e.g. immediately at the start of combat!)

(even though wizard is a bit of a special case since everyone who plays PoE is crazy about wizards ever since the first game for some reason i never understood)

Anyway, the special classes for the ones who were voted weak are consistently no improvement or even making the class worse while higher voted classes (monk and rogue in particular) all have special classes that are a consistent improvement over the base class.

While i disagree with the vote result overall its still interesting to note.

Sharpshooter with guns/other reloaders doesn't seem to have a lot of drawbacks besides -10 deflection - which doesn't mean a lot for a ranged char. So why is it awful?

Stalker is debatable, but I think for a melee ranger it's the best subclass. Def. not awful.

The Ascendant not only gets bonus PL when ascended bt can cast powers for 0 focus as long as he's ascended.

Subclasses are not supposed to be improvements to the main class.

Late response is late..

Did they remove the increased recovery time for sharpshooter?

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Sharpshooter

If not then +1 pen is useless almost always (especially for ranger) and id rather have 10% recovery less (especially on ranger) than a puny 15hit to crit

@stalker, there have been a lot of complaints concerning ranger pets not being able to stay alive when **** hits the fan. I personally feel its a non issue since you can just have the pet run away before it gets too close to dying so its effectively a free summon on a duration. With stalker, you can NOT send your pet away. 7m isnt that far as well so you cant even split them up if the situation would require it to optimally engage. (also melee ranger Kappa, like christ, pick any actual melee class and youre better off in the first place..)

Ascendant makes you worse at combat when the fight starts which is pretty much the most relevant point in time to cast spells.

Even more important it makes soul whip do less damage which is straight up awful since thats like half of what you do all the time.

Also the duration for ascendant isnt long enough to deliver a large enough payoff for "casting spells at 0" . Maybe with disintegration it starts being okay but you still have all the other negatives and until then its strictly awful.

Wether or not subclasses are intended to be improvements or not is irrelevant.

The reality is that many of them are straight up improvements.

All Paladins and shattered monk are objectively massive improvements over vanilla with no downside.

Many have minor downsides that are heavily outweighed by the positives or have positives that are just much better when built around than the vanilla class is on its own (2/3 monk, 3/3 rogue, 2/3 chanter, 2/3 druids, berserker, devoted, evoker).

Ranger and Priest get nothing.

Edited by Zelse

This is also true for cipher to some degree since +1PL from ascendant (ONLY when ascended) doesnt even get close to making up for the penalties.

Soul Blade just competes with casting and beguiler has another pretty significant penalty while not providing much (literally 2 int worth of range and some bonus focus from casting)

^i dont really understand why the PL bonus for cipher was nerfed while the PL bonus for wizard was buffed to the same bonus cipher ascendant had pre-nerf when wizard can make much more use of bonus PL with+missiles. (like yes, losing spell schools is bad but the payoff is bigger and more consistent e.g. immediately at the start of combat!)

(even though wizard is a bit of a special case since everyone who plays PoE is crazy about wizards ever since the first game for some reason i never understood)

Was PL bonus for Ascendants nerfed? I haven't noticed. Ascension duration, yes. But it's still pretty decent, particularly with good Int.

And no, Ascendant is not worse at combat start, IMO. Due to having a much bigger Focus pool and more starting Focus. Also many powers have limited PL payoff, so you can cast those.

Ascendant's Soul Whip provides less damage, true. But you conveniently forgot to add that it also provides significantly more Focus.

After 40+ hours with a ghost heart I'd say it's essential for a melee ranger. Instead of something you have to constantly babysit, the pet becomes what it is supposed to be: extra damage sponge and damage dealer that can easily flank mobs (you can summon it behing a line of enemies). Does not require healing (ranger can't heal it anyway) and if it dies there is no penalty and you just summon it again. Costs 1 bond which is nothing. All in all a vast improvement on the regular ranger.

Both priest and ranger have basically 0 impact specializations by the way..

ranger ghost heart is more of a QOL change and the other 2 are awful

priest basically just changes the spells he gets around a bit and has no other effect

Anyway, the special classes for the ones who were voted weak are consistently no improvement or even making the class worse while higher voted classes (monk and rogue in particular) all have special classes that are a consistent improvement over the base class.

While i disagree with the vote result overall its still interesting to note.

Sharpshooter with guns/other reloaders doesn't seem to have a lot of drawbacks besides -10 deflection - which doesn't mean a lot for a ranged char. So why is it awful?

Stalker is debatable, but I think for a melee ranger it's the best subclass. Def. not awful.

The Ascendant not only gets bonus PL when ascended bt can cast powers for 0 focus as long as he's ascended.

Subclasses are not supposed to be improvements to the main class.

Late response is late..

Did they remove the increased recovery time for sharpshooter?

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Sharpshooter

If not then +1 pen is useless almost always (especially for ranger) and id rather have 10% recovery less (especially on ranger) than a puny 15hit to crit

@stalker, there have been a lot of complaints concerning ranger pets not being able to stay alive when **** hits the fan. I personally feel its a non issue since you can just have the pet run away before it gets too close to dying so its effectively a free summon on a duration. With stalker, you can NOT send your pet away. 7m isnt that far as well so you cant even split them up if the situation would require it to optimally engage. (also melee ranger Kappa, like christ, pick any actual melee class and youre better off in the first place..)

Ascendant makes you worse at combat when the fight starts which is pretty much the most relevant point in time to cast spells.

Even more important it makes soul whip do less damage which is straight up awful since thats like half of what you do all the time.

Also the duration for ascendant isnt long enough to deliver a large enough payoff for "casting spells at 0" . Maybe with disintegration it starts being okay but you still have all the other negatives and until then its strictly awful.

Wether or not subclasses are intended to be improvements or not is irrelevant.

The reality is that many of them are straight up improvements.

All Paladins and shattered monk are objectively massive improvements over vanilla with no downside.

Many have minor downsides that are heavily outweighed by the positives or have positives that are just much better when built around than the vanilla class is on its own (2/3 monk, 3/3 rogue, 2/3 chanter, 2/3 druids, berserker, devoted, evoker).

Guns don't have recovery, therefore I said Sharpshooter with guns/reloaders...

Ascendant generates more focus than other ciphers - because of that his soul whip bonus is lowered. The aim of an Ascendant is not to deal a big amount of weapon damage but to become ascended asap. That's the whole point and you should play accordingly. But that doesn't make it an awful subclass. The Ascendant is pretty popular in the build section/build list when it comes to Cipher builds. Usually that doesn't mean that a subclass is awful.

Some people judge classes without even playing them. They read the (often inaccurate) descriptions and think "well that can't be great" or "Woot? That sounds powerful!" while it really isn't.

Shattered Pillar sounds awesome,but he only generates wounds by doing auto-attacks and needs to deal 25 dmg per wound (compared to receiving 10). Also his max wound count is 5 instead of 10. This is bad for several reasons (Rooting Pain, Duality/Turning/Iron Wheel). So it's def. not a massive improvement comp. to vanilla monk. It's just different. If you like to play a monk who doesn't want to take damage then sure - it is an improvement - but the same counts for a Sharpshooter with an arquebus.

Paladins have no vanilla class - how can a subclass of Paladin be an improvement over the vanilla class then?

I showed that a Sharpshooter is an improvement over a vanilla ranger once you pick a gun - as is the Stalker when going melee (an animal companion can be healed and Grief can be upgraded to Vengeful Grieve - which might be pretty cool to trigger without the pet dying.

Priest also have no vanilla class - how should a subclass improve something that's not there? What do you mean with "get nothing" in this case. I have the impression you didn't think your arguments though...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Priest also have no vanilla class - how should a subclass improve something that's not there? What do you mean with "get nothing" in this case. I have the impression you didn't think your arguments though...

So first of all i played shattered every run because it fixes the one weakness monk has over everything else, get wounds when not being focused. And its outstanding at doing exactly that. So you accusing me of "not playing just considering" is you being unfair and just making assumptions instead of arguing the issue.

I really dont want to deal with people who do that quite frankly because this is online and i simply dont have to and theres enough monkeys doing that irl. In general if people attack a person directly by devaluing their opinion overall in this way it means they are bad at arguing the issue because they have anything valid to say.

I will address this disaster with priest tho as a last thing i do.

You can not actually be serious about ignoring the fact that priests clearly have no impactful subclass WHEN EVERY OTHER CLASS HAS SUBCLASSES THAT ADD TO THE WAY THEY ARE PLAYED rather than just move around a few spells. You ignore this fact entirely and just focus on the arbitrary fact that priest "technically" has no "vanilla" state and thereby completely circumventing the issue which IS OBVIOUSLY THERE.

And again with the personal insult instead of staying on topic very nice.. ResidentSleeper

Edited by Zelse

So first of all i played shattered every run because it fixes the one weakness monk has over everything else, get wounds when not being focused. And its outstanding at doing exactly that. So you accusing me of "not playing just considering" is you being unfair and just making assumptions instead of arguing the issue.

You have 2 abilities that allow you to gain wounds without being focused. You can use friendly fire at your advantage. Or one of the few abilities that self dmg. It's like the streetfighter rogue subclass that push you to be flanked. BAse monk push you to contact and getting hit.

It's not a question of weakness but more of playstyle.

Many have minor downsides that are heavily outweighed by the positives or have positives that are just much better when built around than the vanilla class is on its own (2/3 monk, 3/3 rogue, 2/3 chanter, 2/3 druids, berserker, devoted, evoker).

You have 2 abilities that allow you to gain wounds without being focused. You can use friendly fire at your advantage. Or one of the few abilities that self dmg. It's like the streetfighter rogue subclass that push you to be flanked. BAse monk push you to contact and getting hit.

It's not a question of weakness but more of playstyle.

Mhh i should have worded it as "more consistent" rather than "when not being focused".

Yes you can gain wounds with either self damage or one of the 2 abilities but obviously thats not something you want to do not just because of the damage but also because of the resources spent (i.e. mortification cost -> dance of death (nevermind that it does very little if you do get hit afterwards), or by spending action time (on mortOsoul or on characters attacking him)). Shattered doesnt have to pay anything for consistent wounds. (The same goes for rooting pain as well, much more consistent procs if its based on damage dealt)

The only obvious downside i personally can see is in a situation where the monk would not be apply damage for some reason. When i played it i never ran into this issue though.

Anyway even if you disagree with shattered (or any individual subclass in particular). It doesnt really change the main point that ranger and priest subclasses are disappointing compared to the others.

Edited by Zelse

I didn't say that it's you, I sayed that people often seem to post opinions about classes while not having played them. Please read more carefully.

And even if I would say that - which I don't plan to - it hardly counts as a personal insult. Please don't be a sensitive plant. Seriously... you must have watched too many soccer games with Neymar in it. ;)

Just prove me wrong instead. Instead of lamenting how mean of an insult that was, better provide some proper arguments for the claim that ranger subclasses are awful or just address my arguments that I brought up - the ones that show that they are not. Mentioning paladins and priests subclasses as examples for subclasses which add no improvement to their vanilla class didn't really qualify as proper argument - because there is no vanilla class. You might think that all priest classes suck, but that was not part of your initial statement about subclasses.

And did you play Nalpasca instead of Shattered Pillar in order to get wounds without being hit? Because if you only play Shattered Pillar - how can you know that it's better than other monk classes or a vanilla monk? This is not meant as an insult by the way - just to be sure...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mentioning paladins and priests subclasses as examples for subclasses which add no improvement to their vanilla class didn't really qualify as proper argument - because there is no vanilla class.

IMO, that's being a bit too literal. Just choose whatever you feel like as a base a compare the rest to it.

Pillars of Bugothas

I selected Priest as weakest subclass only because obsidian nerf priest bufs so much that I can't build good martial build with it, but caster Priest still can do very huge damage. Multi-class priest is suck but when Priest hit L7 then things change:

* All L7 - L9 Priest spell is duration AOE Spells, i.e all of them hit targets multiple times
* All L7 - L9 Magran priest spell has Fire keyword, if you know what I mean (Rings, Pets, Weapons)
* All Priests has (Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time) combination which works very well with Death godlike and only priest can safely chain for 2 min potion of last stand and combination above
* Priest AOE Spells target only WILL, REFLEX and .... DEFLECTION did someone know how much spells can target deflection ? :D

Why no one write how much pure Priest can stack power level ? 9 Base + 1 Talent + 3 Death Godlike + 4 From Weapon + 1 From Pet + 2 From Potion = 20, HOLY **** 10 PL for all TOP TIER spells, you can melt even Ukazio without Empower. With Empower you can reach 25

Pure Magran Priest the strongest DPS build in the game, but who cares :D

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I really dont want to deal with people who do that quite frankly because this is online and i simply dont have to and theres enough monkeys doing that irl. In general if people attack a person directly by devaluing their opinion overall in this way it means they are bad at arguing the issue because they have anything valid to say.

I will address this disaster with priest tho as a last thing i do.

You can not actually be serious about ignoring the fact that priests clearly have no impactful subclass WHEN EVERY OTHER CLASS HAS SUBCLASSES THAT ADD TO THE WAY THEY ARE PLAYED rather than just move around a few spells. You ignore this fact entirely and just focus on the arbitrary fact that priest "technically" has no "vanilla" state and thereby completely circumventing the issue which IS OBVIOUSLY THERE.

And again with the personal insult instead of staying on topic very nice.. ResidentSleeper

Sorry, but this just tells me you don't know how to play priests. Skaen/Wael get bonus spells/abilities that can radically change how you play the character. E.G. a wael+martialclass multiclass is just so radically different from anyotherpriest+martialclass that I can't believe you can say "priests clearly have no impactful subclass" with a straight face. Berath/Magran have impactful differences to, just to a lesser extent than Skaen/Wael.

Technically speaking, though, Boeroer is right. Paladins and priests used to have negatives (very severe imo) which basically made them have no non-subclass version. There was never intended to be a "vanilla" way to play those classes. (Though in current release Eothas is very close to a vanilla priest with a severe lack of unique spells.)

Also

get wounds when not being focused.

Monks already have built-in solutions to this; Dance of Death and Mortification. You can also just roll a Nazpalca who will get tooooons of wounds while still not being focused on. IMO Shattered Pillar got hit with nerf bat during backer beta/release a bit too hard. All I know is that a lot of people in like BB1 talked about Shattered Pillar like it was the best thing since sliced bread and now virtually no one talks about it.

Edited by thelee

Berath just gives you more nukes to cast.

Which is good.

Which one ? I assume that only Magran and Skaen is viable options for pure Priest, Skaen because his symbol target deflection. All others symbols target fortitude i.e bosses will **** you :D

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Which is good.

Which one ? I assume that only Magran and Skaen is viable options for pure Priest, Skaen because his symbol target deflection. All others symbols target fortitude i.e bosses will **** you :D

This isn't poe1, so fortitude isn't the end-all defense for enemies (even big ones) like it was, and it's much easier to debuff fortitude in deadfire (worst case scenario just grab a morning star proficiency for a huge, unresistable -25). also determining viability for pure priest based on one PL8 spell is sort of.... not right?

also you must be mistakenbecause i think the only symbols that target fortitude are wael's and berath's.

Which is good.

Magran gives you a lot of nukes to cast, Berath doesn't give you as much (just Touch of Rot essentially), but gives you some interesting debuffs and also Rot Skulls which is a really nice summoned weapon. Still good and comparable to Magran, just not as good as Skaen or Wael imo.

Edited by thelee

Which is good.

This isn't poe1, so fortitude isn't the end-all defense for enemies (even big ones) like it was, and it's much easier to debuff fortitude in deadfire (worst case scenario just grab a morning star proficiency for a huge, unresistable -25). also determining viability for pure priest based on one PL8 spell is sort of.... not right?

also you must be mistakenbecause i think the only symbols that target fortitude are wael's and berath's.

Which is good.

Magran gives you a lot of nukes to cast, Berath doesn't give you as much (just Touch of Rot essentially), but gives you some interesting debuffs and also Rot Skulls which is a really nice summoned weapon. Still good and comparable to Magran, just not as good as Skaen or Wael imo.

I compared only L8 symbol because they unique priest skill and you can cast  them 3x time (AOE spell which do 100 - 200 damage per tick for 10 tick). You can even place 3 symbols at once

Magran symbol target will and put Blind - L3 affliction (which reduce Armor, Deflection, Accuracy, Reflex), you can lower will with any single-hand club, Magran symbol has Fire keyword i.e has +5 PL from gear and +1 penetration, +10 ACC from Ring

I don't like Wael because I always play via Death Door combination, I don't need deflection and Wael symbol didn't put any affliction and doesn't has  +1 penetration from passive tree

I don't like Berath because his symbol can't hurt endgame boss and don't has PL bonus from gear

All dragons has +150 Fortitude, I don't know how you plans to lower this value even in party

Edited by mant2si

Symbol of Berath is very strong. Berath subclass pretty much requires single-class Priest to reach its full potential, you can think of it as a disadvantage but I personally don't mind. The nuking potential is on par with a Wizard, and the AoE on Symbol and Storm is huge. I don't think there's an enemy who is immune to both of these.

The main job of this character (for me) was not killing bosses, but instaclearing trash. I play with a group so I have other characters with big single target damage. Priest of Berath makes sure that there is only one target for them to hit :)

Like I said previously, not a top build because it needs access to high level spells for true nuking power, but very effective at its job and has some RP fluff (because Berath).

Symbol of Berath is very strong. Berath subclass pretty much requires single-class Priest to reach its full potential, you can think of it as a disadvantage but I personally don't mind. The nuking potential is on par with a Wizard, and the AoE on Symbol and Storm is huge. I don't think there's an enemy who is immune to both of these.

The main job of this character (for me) was not killing bosses, but instaclearing trash. I play with a group so I have other characters with big single target damage. Priest of Berath makes sure that there is only one target for them to hit :)

Like I said previously, not a top build because it needs access to high level spells for true nuking power, but very effective at its job and has some RP fluff (because Berath).

I played only solo with DD mod and when half of enemies has +120 - +160 fortituted I doesn't see any point to use fortitude target spells like Chill Fog and Berath/Wael symbols

Edited by mant2si

Okay I have no idea what works and what doesn't with DD because I'm not interested in mods. Just talking about a vanilla experience.

This mod add +30% HP, and make all enemies scaled for 9+ levels, i.e you will never over-level 11L+ enemies. The main point to use this mod is disable bonuses which you get when you over-level enemies. Maybe with new difficulty mod Obsidian do something similar as this mod. For example all dragons has +30 Fortitude and +30 accuracy 

Edited by mant2si

My issues with Priests at the moment are:

1) Yes, you can definitely build a pure, single class, Magran-DPS terror, but the majority of the game the character wouldn’t be that fun to play until outer PLs. Then, the character goes to point-click-dead... also not fun for me and in a party it is overkill.

On a separate note, I believe it was a horrible idea to allow players to gain anything over +2 PL. It destroys balance in its current form. They should create a hard cap formula like: Actual_Level/7 = Max_Bonus_PL

2) Many buffs take too long to consider and the time-to-output ratio seems substandard compared to other classes.

3) Lower level skills/spells (PL 1-6), with the exception of Skaen’s, make Priest become a mediocre choice for multi-class. Even with Skaen, I find I could get better efficiency/fun just going Wiz...

4) Fun factor is missing for majority of game... every time I cast a lower level spell, is feels bland, time inefficient, and outclassed by other classes (Druid healing, Cipher CC, Wiz DPS and self-buffs, all Monk abilities :p, etc.). They could remove the Priest class entirely, rename Druid as Mystic (add god spells) and you would never miss it.

That’s probably the biggest problem for me... I wouldn’t miss the class if it was removed, since other classes fulfill the perceived role better anyway.

My issues with Priests at the moment are:

1) Yes, you can definitely build a pure, single class, Magran-DPS terror, but the majority of the game the character wouldn’t be that fun to play until outer PLs. Then, the character goes to point-click-dead... also not fun for me and in a party it is overkill.

On a separate note, I believe it was a horrible idea to allow players to gain anything over +2 PL. It destroys balance in its current form. They should create a hard cap formula like: Actual_Level/7 = Max_Bonus_PL

2) Many buffs take too long to consider and the time-to-output ratio seems substandard compared to other classes.

3) Lower level skills/spells (PL 1-6), with the exception of Skaen’s, make Priest become a mediocre choice for multi-class. Even with Skaen, I find I could get better efficiency/fun just going Wiz...

4) Fun factor is missing for majority of game... every time I cast a lower level spell, is feels bland, time inefficient, and outclassed by other classes (Druid healing, Cipher CC, Wiz DPS and self-buffs, all Monk abilities :p, etc.). They could remove the Priest class entirely, rename Druid as Mystic (add god spells) and you would never miss it.

That’s probably the biggest problem for me... I wouldn’t miss the class if it was removed, since other classes fulfill the perceived role better anyway.

Yep, that is also my thoughts when I picked Priest as weakest class

But with current game balance they can't fix that, otherwise they need to:

Add hard cap formula to Deflection

Add hard cap formula to Accuracy

Add hard cap formula to PL

Add hard cap formula to Reflection

etc....

Fix infinity monk procs

Nerf rogue damage

Remove druid scrolls

Nerf chanter summon

etc... 

For my point of  view they need only review encounters AI, make mages cast different spells, rogues use invise, fighter block and defend mages... They don't need nerf or fix for DPS priest if some of enemies will run out of AOE spell range or if mage will cast Arcane Dumper on you when you cast Death Door

They can make this AI as additional checkbox in difficulty screen, I really want to play in party and use some cool classes skills combination, I want manage targets priority, manage aggro, kills mages from invise ... but currently game offer only numbers management

In fact they only need to develop tool for manage encounters AI and give it for community, then we can fix enemies AI by ourselves

Edited by mant2si

Exactly, just call the Druid a Mystic, give it some God choices, and we can forget the Priest ever happened in POE2.  Priest really is a shadow of it former self... 

What I would like to see is much better buffs, debuffs, and healing (better defined as quicker cast times and some review of potency). 

I think the devs need to start deciding what certain classes are known for, otherwise they all kind of do the same thing, and we just play the classes that do it better than the others.  

Not the end of the world if the Priest is never modified, but the fixes for Priest are really just tweaking the numbers.

Hm... maybe those:

- single class Barbarian with Wahaī Pōraga and Heart of Fury.

- Wizard/Rogue with Spirit Lance + Toxic Strike

- Helwalker/Rogue with Wahaī Pōraga and Toxic Strike

- Wizard/Fighter with Spirit Lance and Clear Out.

- Monk/Wizard with Spirit Lance and Stunning Surge/Heartbeat Drumming/Swift Flurry

- single class monk with Wahaī Pōraga and Whispers of the Wind.

They all profit from broken mechanics around AoE weapons. I guess those will get nerfed soon. It's just too good. At least in encounters with a lot of enemies.

So is Wahai Poraga just straight better than Whispers of the Endless Paths now? I had a soulblade at launch that wrecked with aoe annihilation.