Personally, I went for the Huana. I found it an unexpectedly tough choice, actually. From the get go I'd decided that the Vailians were essentially looters who would cheat the native Huana and then leave, but I'd also grown to quite dislike the gods and the Huana's religiosity was not only irritating, but it seemed unwise to leave that kind of power in their hands when they'd probably be on the wrong side of any conflict with the gods.

The Vailians (under Castol's leadership, at least) had a very cool utopian vision for the Deadfire and kith in general (reminded me of Mr House a bit), and with the advances in animancy they'd been making I believed they could achieve it. However the idea of grinding up peoples' souls to do so made me very uneasy, and even as animancy looked to become more important with the reveal of Eothas' plan, I wasn't prepared to accept the destruction of the Huana culture.

• Like 3

I wanted Eothas to destroy everything but the sucker didn’t have the guts.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I was going to go with the pirates led by Furrante, with my philsophical justification for this being that my Watcher was trying to avoid a consolidation of power since that leads to Bad Things. Mostly I just wanted to be a pirate though. Decided to be a pirate until I took the ghost ship instead.

I don't support the Huana. I know they seem to be under the impression that they're changing rapidly but from an outside perspective, nope, not nearly enough. The justification for keeping the majority of the population in amazingly ****ty conditions collapses with the Wheel, it's one thing to accept your role as dirt based off an accident of birth if you can be 'sure' you'll get a better life next time around but that's gone now. I don't imagine it'll happen soon (hegemony yoh) but the Great Ruparo Uprising will definitely be a thing I think. The queen's insistence on casting every revelation and challenge in a religious light also put me off considering everything I brought her should have been making it clear that the coming world has less space and need for gods as we know them, not more. I largely agree with Castol when he asks whether the resurgent Huana will be a leadership of ignorance or expansionism.

The Huana wound up being the ones to face me at Ukaizo, that's too bad because despite the differences of opinion I didn't really wanna kill the queen. Reduced to a figurehead would have been preferable and I think she's wiley enough that she would have adapted to the role and found some means to exert leverage anyway given enough time. I wanted to face off with Aeldys as Ukaizo so that the leadership of the Principi would go to Pim, cuz if I were to rank them as threats it would be Furrante, Aeldys ---------------------> Pim but meh. Aeldys directionless anarchism is preferable to the Deadfire in the longterm over Furrante's focused malice and ambition.

I don't really have a good reason for not going with the Rautains. If you support them their takeover is ruthless and efficient. I guess I'm just put off by the rigidity, lack of imagination and militarism.

So I went with the VTC under Castol. I like him on a personal level, he's a bit nerdy, capable of playing the game but surprised by that ability and actually caught off guard and not the hard edged Cerseis that surround him, I appreciate his willingness to support/recruit pariahs like Pallegina (in my game) and Flaune based off merit and, most of all, I like that he's the only one who seems to get the real, revolutionary value in luminous adra. Everyone else is in it for the money (Alvari), for the hedonism (Aeldys) for the motherland (hazanui) for A motherland (Furrante) or for cultural pride (Onekaza, which leaves Castol who seems to be the only who really groks that the implications here are a lot broader than just what happens to the Deadfire. The fact that if you combo his ending with Eothas inspiring that they're apparently poised to surpass the Engwithans is good too considering how that's wound up. Almost everyone winds up okay with the ending too, Rautai loses their storms and didn't get kicked out, the Huana lose their queen but seem to be mostly okay regardless (specially since I didn't recruit Maia), even the pirate benefit from the increase in trade.

Anyway, I was/am kinda concerned about how much space the ending leaves for a sequel. Considering the large qualitative differences between an empowered Berath + Rautai ending vs inspired academics + VTCastol it seems like it'd be hard to accommodate the possibility of either (plus all the rest) in one game. But I suppose if you give enough distance either in time or space you can abstract it into just the big issue of: borked reincarnation.

• Like 2

Castol are restricted by those stupid shareholder who just want to clean out nature resource of deadfire

if there are some possibility of a more independent VTC maybe it can be the good ending

but castol are pretty happy in some huana ending

I went with Aeldys and pretty much did everything to ensure people suffered. The Gullet starved, ships were lost at Splintered Reef, slavers kept going despite Aeldys, and all the companions either died or were miserable (except Tekehu, who went off to do art, so I guess he made out okay while the Watershapers guild was slaughtered by the Watcher). Bonus points for feeding Kana to the blood pool, not telling Maia, romancing her, and getting her to quit the navy for a bad ending.

Then I sided with the Huana leaving Castol in charge of the VTC and Pim in charge of the Principi, the Gullet fed by the queen, slavers and Splintered Reef wiped out, and in general everyone happy. Except Tikawara because they have no happy ending with the Huana winning.

Third time was Royal Deadfire Company all the way. We brought peace to Deadfire by murdering everyone in our way and building a new civilization over their corpses. You know, for the greater good.

Still got to do endings for a happy Castol-led VTC and an evil Alvari-led VTC.

I look forward to new ending slides with the DLC.

I went with Aeldys and pretty much did everything to ensure people suffered.

[...]

Third time was Royal Deadfire Company all the way. We brought peace to Deadfire by murdering everyone in our way and building a new civilization over their corpses. You know, f

or the greater good.

Lol. "You know, for the greater good."

It's kind of interesting hearing someone actually aim for the bad endings.

Why did so many take Serafen?

I did because 1) I like him, but more 2) he was a neutral(ish) party when I had to navigate the maze of political scheming. Pallegina and Maia are nightmares to deal with in that situation.

I took Serafen because I like him. :)

I put on hiatus my "Side with fascists or slavers for teh Greatur Gud!!1!" run to rush and experience the poison cheese before it gets nerfed, but I don't think I will ever side with Alvari. Too evil. 

• Like 1

Which companions tolerate an evil run? I want to do an evil run after my current bog standard benevolent run, but I figured I would have to take mostly sidekicks and maybe Serafen.

That depends on how evil you want to be. I offer Serafen to slavers which has him leave the party and get chased by said slavers so he's... unavailable. Maia quitting the navy is her worst ending, but only appears to happen if you side with the Principi (and romanced her and did all her stuff), but doing this keeps her in the group. I murder the Watershapers guild before leaving for Ukaizo which causes Tekehu to leave the party. Aloth will die in his ending if you meet him at the Engwithan ruins but don't let him join then or when you encounter him again in Port Maje (you can still recruit him in Port Maje, but if you visit the Wahaki his corpse will be in their building) so you can't take him either. So pretty much Eder, Xoti, Maia, Pallegina are available for the end game (but Serafen and Tekehu can be used until you want to lose them).

I played the first game trying the same thing. Sided with Woedica, broke promises to the other gods, left the Doemenels in charge (with them being public about it), and ensured my companions had a bad time. It was quite fun after being a super nice guy.

I took Serafen because I like him. :)

I put on hiatus my "Side with fascists or slavers for teh Greatur Gud!!1!" run to rush and experience the poison cheese before it gets nerfed, but I don't think I will ever side with Alvari. Too evil. 

I think siding with Aeldys is slightly more evil and probably more problematic for fixing the Wheel in the long-run (plus Pallegina dies), but Alvari is pretty hardcore. I haven't finished it because I've run into a bug getting the Splintered Reef undead take out restaurant courtesy of Crookspur ending slide to work. If you're going to be evil, you have to give 100%.

• Like 2

But it's possible.

I know. I’ll make the wuss do it next time ;)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

[...]

Third time was Royal Deadfire Company all the way. We brought peace to Deadfire by murdering everyone in our way and building a new civilization over their corpses. You know, f

or the greater good.

That basically sums up the RDC questline.

• Like 2

[...]

or the greater good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_q2wBzT6uU

That basically sums up the RDC questline.

Hahaha. The face at the end. That's pretty spot on.

I think the RDC mentality/perspective is extremely interesting but I don't think I could ever go that route.

I went RDC route, eventually. On my third playthrough. After all, I made myself play F:NV and side with Legion. Can't be worse than this. Call it morbid curiosity and wanting to explore some really bad ideas (and be a completionist). And seeing what the game even offers in that regard.

On my first playthrough I sided with Huana, though at first I couldn't pick between them and Principi (completely lost my sympathy for them when Furrante was revealed to work with slavers). On my second I sided with VTC simply because i felt terrible for Pallegina.

• Like 1

I went RDC route, eventually. On my third playthrough. After all, I made myself play F:NV and side with Legion. Can't be worse than this. Call it morbid curiosity and wanting to explore some really bad ideas (and be a completionist). And seeing what the game even offers in that regard.

On my first playthrough I sided with Huana, though at first I couldn't pick between them and Principi (completely lost my sympathy for them when Furrante was revealed to work with slavers). On my second I sided with VTC simply because i felt terrible for Pallegina.

As messed up a they are, I think there's a legitimate argument to going with them. They actually can do a lot of good, it just comes with a heavy series of costs and consequences (usually to others). They just hit all the wrong red flags /buttons for me.

Obsidian wrote the faction extremely well. They have a similar argument as why you should side with Caesar's Legion, but the argument actually works /seems legitimate in PoE. And they don't seem as malicious.

• Like 1

Got quite a few results now and RDC is still very unpopular. I guess assassination is generally frowned upon :D

Not surprised pirates are so low, especially since in the midst of their questline it becomes pretty obvious you can just take the Fonferrus to Ukaizo without their help. 

• Like 1

I would surmise that assassination is especially unpopular among those that haven't experienced war. 
Given the choice, I'd take the former, but that's just thinking in character.    :getlost:

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

it is the most boring kind of worst

the all conquering evil indiscriminately destroy everyone who doesn't obey them

so everyone can just fight one army of villain wear the same uniform

My Watcher was a scientist who supported animancy research in both games (albeit reluctantly), so from the moment Castol opened his mouth I had a strong suspicion VTC would be the ones I'd eventually end up helping. The slave trade idea of his wasn't great, but I just killed Master Kua, and things worked out fine. I also chose to tell Eothas to inspire the kith to look to the future, and the ending slides sounded quite promising. 

With the RDC it became clear from the first conversation with the hazanui that we were not going to get along. I can somewhat tolerate people who are at least honest about wanting to exploit a foreign land, like VTC, but rauataians try to make it look like they have a noble cause and are here to help the savage Deadfire. Sorry, go preach about your white man's burden to someone else. They may bring order eventually, and it has its appeal, but the way they go about it is a huge no for me.

I tried really hard to like the Huana, and I kind of did, but my problem with them is that it's not the Huana as a whole that you lend your support to but the Kahanga royals, and Onekaza was... not impressive. The tantrums she constantly throws when things don't go her way in every minor detail eventually turned me away from her. When she started yelling about Ukaizo being Huana land that no outsider should be allowed to set foot on, I thought "Well, I'm an outsider, so I guess this is where we part ways" and went to join the VTC. Still, it is likely that I will choose them on some other playthrough. 

Pirates are just pirates, they didn't really make me like or dislike them because they were exactly what I expected them to be. Aeldys turning the storms of Ondra's Mortar back on is the reason I will never support her though. The idea of Furrante somehow succeeding at founding an independent state is at least funny enough for me to help him if I ever decide to create an Old Vailian Watcher, but the slavers will have to go, same as on my VTC run. 

• Like 2