After trying out so many class combos, I finally decided I would want to make a build to maximize Druid Fury auto attacks. It seems like the best options would be to multiclass with Ranger (bounce shot accurate wounding shots, extra bounce later on), Paladin (bounce FoD with extra pen), or Rogue (easy to setup sneak attack on bounce attacks through aoe druid debuffs). 

Is there a combo that I'm overlooking? Not sure which addition would make this setup most fun. Gonna be playing on Vet and never made it further than leaving the first island yet, how is Ranger pet survivability down the road? 

Druid/Rogue (Shifter/Streetfighter)

With Cat mode, flanked, and two-weapon style, you attack once every 1.2 seconds.  I think this is the fastest auto-attack speed you can get in the game.

+50% Sneak Attack Damage boost if enemies are afflicted.  Later on you get DeathBlows and God knows what else as a Rogue.

You can always shapeshift to a different form to restore health.

Not good enough to Solo POTD but in a team with someone casting Moonwell or Lay of Hands its pretty good.  

Edited by Marigoldran

Thanks, I just checked it out, and it looks like thats mainly for spell casting (pretty cool as well). I guess I'm looking for a more simpler build, in that I just want to auto attack in storm blight form, maybe some debuffs/buffs here and there to enhance that. I really like the bounce you get from that form, attacks zip and chain lightning around the place. Especially now that Fury is classified as two weapon style. It would come down to getting killing blows to lengthen the duration, and making the most of the bounce effect. 

Since I havent made it very far, I'm not sure if there is any gear associated with making spiritshift forms better (since gear doesnt apply?).

Helwalker to get the bonus MIG and extra Lightning/Burn damage, perhaps?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Why not mix in some barbarian?

Fury / Barbarian (Tempest)

Barbarians  have a great attack speed boost when using their frenzy abilities AND this fits very nicely with the whole "Fury" theme of a storm druid. A barbarian would give you a sweet boost to attack speed and might, which helps your auto attack damage (shape shifted damage is hard to boost compared to weapons). There is also a great two handed pollaxe that fits nicely with this build (boosts power level for lightning abilities). 

I would go no subclass. The subclasses come with too much baggage to mix with a fury druid. Berserker will make your bounce attacks hit allies, and I believe being in form makes it much harder to become immune to intellect afflictions. Corpse eater brings you to close to melee to eat corpses for a ranged attacker, and mage slayer is a terrible choice since it cuts your fury time down. If you take anything other than no-subclass, it would be Berserker if you are going solo and/or don't care about zapping your friends into piles of ash. I am pretty sure the added penetration works when shifted since fury attacks are "weapons". 

PS  I think there is a REASON the developers called this multiclass a "tempest" :)

Fury/Bleak Walker with Spirit of Decay, Scion of Flame and Heart of the Storm gets +3 stackable bonus PEN for FoD attacks, +1 with simple auto attacks and +2 PEN for all elemental spells except freeze (+1 PEN). If you pick Wildstrike Freeze you will deal 4 different types of damage with FoD.

Fury/Ranger with Driving Flight will give you one additional "jump" (not two as one might think).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Barbarians  have a great attack speed boost when using their frenzy abilities AND this fits very nicely with the whole "Fury" theme of a storm druid. A barbarian would give you a sweet boost to attack speed and might, which helps your auto attack damage (shape shifted damage is hard to boost compared to weapons). There is also a great two handed pollaxe that fits nicely with this build (boosts power level for lightning abilities). 

I would go no subclass. The subclasses come with too much baggage to mix with a fury druid. Berserker will make your bounce attacks hit allies, and I believe being in form makes it much harder to become immune to intellect afflictions. Corpse eater brings you to close to melee to eat corpses for a ranged attacker, and mage slayer is a terrible choice since it cuts your fury time down. If you take anything other than no-subclass, it would be Berserker if you are going solo and/or don't care about zapping your friends into piles of ash. I am pretty sure the added penetration works when shifted since fury attacks are "weapons". 

PS  I think there is a REASON the developers called this multiclass a "tempest" :)

That sounds pretty viable for sure. With Barbaric Blow, does the 30% hits to crits and 50% crit damage only apply to the carnage effect? Or the base hit as well? In general, the attack speed and recovery reset passives could combo very well. 

Fury/Bleak Walker with Spirit of Decay, Scion of Flame and Heart of the Storm gets +3 stackable bonus PEN for FoD attacks, +1 with simple auto attacks and +2 PEN for all elemental spells except freeze (+1 PEN). If you pick Wildstrike Freeze you will deal 4 different types of damage with FoD.

I saw you post this in another thread, and it def made sense as a possibility. It also has good spammability, is a full attack (for two weapons), and helps with accuracy.

In comparison, am I overhyping how good an extra bounce would be with Ranger? I feel like it would add a lot, with accurate wounding shots. In addition, are damage pets even worth it? I would probably need to keep the pet too, since I would go sharpshooter. 

Barbarians have a great attack speed boost when using their frenzy abilities AND this fits very nicely with the whole "Fury" theme of a storm druid. A barbarian would give you a sweet boost to attack speed and might, which helps your auto attack damage (shape shifted damage is hard to boost compared to weapons). There is also a great two handed pollaxe that fits nicely with this build (boosts power level for lightning abilities).

PS I think there is a REASON the developers called this multiclass a "tempest" :)

That sounds pretty viable for sure. With Barbaric Blow, does the 30% hits to crits and 50% crit damage only apply to the carnage effect? Or the base hit as well? In general, the attack speed and recovery reset passives could combo very well.

The whole effect applies to the attack itself. The carnage bonus is lost, but you still get everything else

I saw you post this in another thread, and it def made sense as a possibility. It also has good spammability, is a full attack (for two weapons), and helps with accuracy.

In comparison, am I overhyping how good an extra bounce would be with Ranger? I feel like it would add a lot, with accurate wounding shots. In addition, are damage pets even worth it? I would probably need to keep the pet too, since I would go sharpshooter.

I guess Ranger with Driving Flight would also be nice. I only tested the Fury/Bleak Walker variant though.

Fury/Ranger with Driving Flight will give you one additional "jump" (not two as one might think).

Would Wildstrike corrode/burn stack with the bleakwalker's FoD on this build?

I think I read somewhere that there is a cap on elemental lash attacks of 100%. FoD will stack with wildstrike, but you may hit that 100% cap if you take all of the wildstrikes and use the upgraded FoD.

How do one reach 100% lash? FoD and Wildstrike are

Yes. But there' no benefit to pick Wildstrike Burn (or Corrode or Shock). FoD adds a burning and a corrosive lash (and the ability is keyworded with fire and acid and thus gets the +1 PEN each from the elemental talents). But the lashes themselves don't get the PEN bonus (only the initial "direct" dmg part) - so I think it's better to pick a different element for Wildstrike (in this case freeze) in order to cirmcumvent immunities. With Wildstrike Freeze on the Fury/Bleak Walker you have shock (Fury natural weapons, burn (FoD lash), corrode (FoD lash) and freeze (Wildstrike lash). With Eternal Devotion you will have shock/burn/freeze for some time (Eternal Devotion doesn't use the corrode lash like the "real" Bleak-Walker-FoD).

But if you want to stack FoD burning lash + Wildstrike Burn or the FoD corrosive lash with Wildstrike Corrode you can do that.

• 1 month later...

I guess Ranger with Driving Flight would also be nice. I only tested the Fury/Bleak Walker variant though.

Indeed Ranger with Driving Flight sounds good. And the accuracy boost should be great as well. Pet could be useful to.

Only issue is that Driving Flight would come at level 13, While BW can spam FoD right from the get go...

Cause i get killed :-/

Err... Well, that says something about you, but nothing about why Fury's natural weapons are worse than the other ones. I still can't see a reason why they should be worse.

The damage numbers per hit are lower because the attacks jump one time. That's a high multiplicative damage increase. Of course the base damage is lower than the melee variants to balance that. But the overall damage output should be equal at least.

Also those attacks gain +1 PEN from Heart of the Storm.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1