I need a good tank for my playthrough.

Alot of people are saying arcane knight is the best tank why is this? Im not seeing the love with paladins?

Im considering:

- fighter / priest of wael

- arcane knight (paladin/ wiz)

- fighter / wiz

Which one would be the best or is there another good tank?

Arcane Knight can reach crazy defenses, but for PotD (as it is right now, anyway) you dont need that. Anything with pala in it is fine. Herald is especially good in my opinion, because self heal+fire dmg+frost dmg+summons.

Of the 3 you mentioned I'd say pala/wiz is best and fighter/priest worst.

I need a good tank for my playthrough.

Alot of people are saying arcane knight is the best tank why is this? Im not seeing the love with paladins?

Im considering:

- fighter / priest of wael

- arcane knight (paladin/ wiz)

- fighter / wiz

Which one would be the best or is there another good tank?

There's a section on the forums full with builds and strategies. Check it out!

This one seems good by the way:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102793-solo-potd-build-sir-sit-a-lot-the-brander-of-death-effective-in-early-levels/

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Well to really tank you need to keep mobs on the tank. So you need fighter's Guardian stance. Only fighter has 5 engagements when using shield. (there is no substitue for that stance in the whole game). Guardians stance + overbearing guard means on one engaged by the tank will ever move away.
And for high permanent defences Paladin is the best choise.
Fighter/Paladin is best in group fights with high defense and max number of engagements.

The fighter/Priest of Wael will get some really good defense as the Priest of Wael gets access to the best illusion spells plus all the priest spells plus all the Fighter abilities. Make it an Unbroken for even more defense.

A Paladin/Priest of Wael also gets some crazy defense available.

Yeah im leaning towards the fighter/ priest wael.

Paladins currently have to many broken abilities eg self immolation and hastening exhortation are both completely pointless. The last time i rolled a paladin i found there lay on hands was not very helpful either because of the increased recovery times and new interupt mechanics introduced in deadfire.

Not a fan of paladins in there current state at the moment.

Edited by no1fanboy

Paladins currently have to many broken abilities eg self immolation and hastening exhortation are both completely pointless. The last time i rolled a paladin i found there lay on hands was not very helpful either because of the increased recovery times and new interupt mechanics introduced in deadfire.

Completely pointless? Not really, Sacred Immolation just requires high Reflex to work without killing yourself (short of having Sacred Sacrifice or Providence). Weapon and Shield Style, Snake's Reflexes, High Dexterity, High Perception, Equipment, ... all help in that regard - (if that's tanky is another question, but Sacred Immolation is not really "tanky", per se) 

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

Its clearly a bug. As if they intended for you to stack your reflex to not die from using it.

Im also finding ressurection to be another paladin flop ability. My characters allways die after the 15sec timelimt when you cop a huge damage hit.

So that is three whole ability chains on the paladins skill tree that arent working imo at the moment. Thats alot of issues there

I stacked lashes and hit for 100+ with my Sacred Immolation, and you can get instant LOH by not auto attacking so much.

Or for a support Paladin, Shield + Firearm also gets you instant LOH. Hand Mortar is quite nice for this.

Edited by Incendax

Imo the best tank is an unbroken fighter + kind wayfarers/goldpact knights/ shieldbearers of st. elga paladin.

You will have high engagement limit, high health, high defenses, high armor, high disengagement damage, high self heal and passive regeneration, many "oh sh*t buttons", decent mobility and group utility. 

Edited by Ekera