How bad was that ending? (Spoiler alert)

On 1/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, xzar_monty said:

Deadfire is, indeed, a strange beast. The story doesn't really work if you look at it carefully; it's just strange that the great revelation of PoE is essentially ignored in Deadfire, and then there's the paradox of the apparently urgent chase for Eothas, on the one hand, and the fact that the game is clearly designed so that you're meant to also explore the entire archipelago, on the other. It doesn't add up, it's just weird.

However, the game's still great. I will happily agree with everyone who thinks that the game's foundations are shaky, but the game is still great.

Fair enough - there's an argument to be made that if you enjoy something, maybe not look at the underpinnings too closely. :)

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, xzar_monty said:

I will also be happy to admit that I'm not logical here: sometimes the flaws I described above will ruin a game, sometimes not, and often I can't really explain why. However, there's no uncertainty about actually knowing whether they ruin a game or not.

I think you can't argue with having a feeling - if  you didn't enjoy it/it hurt the experience, then that feeling is genuine, and sometimes you have to dig for the facts and reasons why - but those facts and reasons don't often change your feeling on the matter.

9 hours ago, Tencatta said:

I think you can't argue with having a feeling - if  you didn't enjoy it/it hurt the experience, then that feeling is genuine, and sometimes you have to dig for the facts and reasons why - but those facts and reasons don't often change your feeling on the matter.

Indeed. It is rare that they do. Sometimes, of course, feelings do change, but rarely because of facts or reasons.

There is also the interesting experience of not knowing if you like something. You know, with computer games this happens when you start the game, don't really feel much one way or the other, stop playing, find yourself coming back to it, perhaps even wondering why, and this can go on for a while until one day you know whether you're just going to stop or whether you'll really try a playthrough.

On a related topic: I have worked as a critic in the past, quite some time ago, and one of the useful things you learn in that profession is the distinction between your personal feelings and the somewhat more objective quality of a given work you're talking about. For example, if I were to write a review of James Joyce's Ulysses or Radiohead's OK Computer, I would have to agree that they are very inventive, both works are very aware of what has been done before and very genuine in their attempts to break some new ground, so they both are to be applauded, and they are recommended for anyone interested in books or music. But on a personal level, I don't really like either of them, they don't touch me. They're not bad, by any means, but they don't touch me. (I can also explain why.)

On 1/9/2021 at 12:23 PM, Boeroer said:

... because they have no hands?

*badum tsss* 😄

Regarding the ending: Not over the moon either and a lot boils down to feelings for me too.  To a certain degree because I cant always put my finger on the exact problem.

What annoyed me the most was the last sentence. "You hope for calm weather" - what the hell? No outlook to future adventures or challenges, no recognition of past deeds just a bland lazy line. (Compare that with the ending of BG: ToB for example. Mostly text on screen but it had a huge emotional impact) The voice-over of the epilogue was an issue for me too. It was great throughout the game and all of a sudden its somehwere between bored and depressed. Given how easily that could have been avoided I wonder what the idea behind that was.

Could also never shake the feeling that the game wasnt finished. (Which breaks my heart because so many aspects of the game were amazing.) I felt like I am interacting with the world in the beginning but more and more like a spectator towards the end. That "culminated" in the ending which also felt really rushed. Why was there even a map for Ukaizo?! Was there ever an official statement wether they ran out of time or money?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tillbot87 said:

Could also never shake the feeling that the game wasnt finished. (Which breaks my heart because so many aspects of the game were amazing.) I felt like I am interacting with the world in the beginning but more and more like a spectator towards the end. That "culminated" in the ending which also felt really rushed. Why was there even a map for Ukaizo?! Was there ever an official statement wether they ran out of time or money?

I haven't seen one, but that doesn't mean much. (Frankly, I might not make such a statement if what you say was the case and I was Obsidian. I mean, it would be so embarrassing to have to make a statement to that effect.)

The ending seemed extremely rushed, there's no getting away from that. Ukaizo was built up for the entire game in so many ways, and once you get there, it's one encounter with a nice-looking ancient beast and that's about it. It's such a disappointment. I suppose this feeling is quite common.

• Thanks 1

I recall Josh saying they made the end portion of the game snappier as a response to criticism of the first game that the Twin Elms section dragged on too long. He contextually admitted they overcorrected.

• Thanks 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

"Aller guten Dinge sind drei", as ze Germans say. 

Total ripoff of the Rule-of-Three from Planescape :p

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Since this saying has its origin in Germanic tribal legislation/jurisdiction of the early middle ages and Planescape Torment def. feels older than that: I guess you are right. 😄

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods