[mod idea] Paladin subclass as Bg2 inquisitor

I always like the bg2 inquisitor as they are efficient mage killers. Their two core abilities dispel magic and true sight is very good against enemy casters.

I have an idea of moving that kit to deadfire.

So the subclass bonus will be: Adding Spell purge and Mark of Light to Sworn Enemy.

Spell purge: suspend beneficial buff duration for 10 sec. (Like the old PoE 1 Deprive the Unworthy).

Mark of true sight: target is immune to invisibility + untargetable buff.

One mimic dispel magic, one mimic true sight. Which turns a paladin into a real mage hunter. Anyone interested?

Edited by dunehunter

Why add the effects on sworn enemy and not create new abilities given at lv0 just like the other paladin subclasses?

There is a wizard spell similar to dispel as far as I know.

Hmmm.... I might actually do that this week.

Hey Kohwaiter, the thought of adding effect to exist ability is to make it consistent with other paladin subclass. For example Goldpact add gilded enmity to sworn enemy, Kind wayfare add white flame to FoD, Darcoozi Paladini add minor flame shield to LoH. Of course we can add new ability but that means we need extra icon, extra animiation and etc right?

Not really, we can use the Icon from the wizard's dispel-like ability since Inquisitor also used the Dispel icon. The cast speed is instant, so there is no animation.

Also, remember that BG2 Inquisitor had no healing abilities, thus Lay on Hands would need to be locked out from the tree.

• Like 1

I personally prefer it to be more consistent with other paladin subclasses, so it looks more like an origin subclass instead of implanted from other games. But either way is fine i think.

Veilpiercer has an upgrade that grants the user once per rest ability that remove spell effect in an aoe, maybe we can use that for inquisitor. What about True Sight, I think it is easy to create an ability that is self-central aoe that make enemy around immune to invisibility.

Edited by dunehunter

Disposition for an inquisitor? Obvious choice is flavor: Honest, disflavor: Deceptive/Shady, not sure about the other one :) Rational/aggressive? 

Also one thing is that there are already Inquisitor(paladin/cipher) in the game so might better change the name of the subclass. Church inquisitor as the 3.5e version? Steel Garrote was a good choice because they have similar theme of inquisition, but they are already in-the-game with their own unique ability so..

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Disposition for an inquisitor? Obvious choice is flavor: Honest, disflavor: Deceptive/Shady, not sure about the other one :) Rational/aggressive? 

Also one thing is that there are already Inquisitor(paladin/cipher) in the game so might better change the name of the subclass. Church inquisitor as the 3.5e version? Steel Garrote was a good choice because they have similar theme of inquisition, but they are already in-the-game with their own unique ability so..

Cruel , if not which kind of Inquisitor is?

• 2 weeks later...

I added the Church Inquisitor subclass: https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/72

Very nice! Thank you so much for implying this idea into your mod, I will definitely start a new playthrough with it :)

Btw did the Cleansed Enmity require a will check? If not I think it is a bit overpowered considering Sworn enemy is an instant ability. Or maybe make it suspend beneficial effect for 20 sec instead? On second thought, even it has a will check, you can still spam it until u success, so suspend effect maybe better.

Edited by dunehunter

Didn't include a skill check.

I could change the effect to suspend for 20 sec instead of full dispel since resource is per/encounter instead of per/rest.

Will update it and upload in a few moments

Thanks, I still think no hit check on a dispel like ability is too strong, considering the other ability that dispel without hit check is a wizard lvl 9 spell. But I have no idea how to balance it right now. Specially considering that you have a lot of zeal to spam it in late game :)

Edited by dunehunter