I have built Pallegina as a pure paladin, and took Reviving Exhortation as soon as it was available. I'm playing Path of the Damned and a rez sounded great.

But it seems to be almost entirely useless. My party is roughly level 12. When the buff fades, it deals 180 damage, which is equal to or greater than the health of my cipher, priest, druid and mage, as well as my chanter and other paladin, who are about a level or so below Pallegina. How is it supposed to be used? You can't remove the debuff, and you can't outheal it since it instantly kill the characters even if they are at 100% health.

:D sounds like nothing learned from PoE1 here. I share your dilemma if these numbers are correct.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Maybe if you have a priest, cast Barring Death's Door on the character you plan to get revived? Eh... I mean after he got revived. Time it so that the health loss falls into the timespan of Barring Death's Door.

But I guess you didn't pick that spell, right? ;)

I don't know what else to do besides raising your characters max health. Raising CON (with Nature's Vigor/Balm, Prayer for the Body,  ), items, putting on Amulets etc. with +x to max health (they do stack)... Reviving Exhortation will raise your ally with 300 health (max) - so losing 150 isn't that bad then.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe if you have a priest, cast Barring Death's Door on the character you plan to get revived? Eh... I mean after he got revived. Time it so that the health loss falls into the timespan of Barring Death's Door.

I don't know what else to do besides raising your characters max health. Raising CON (with Nature's Vigor/Balm, Prayer for the Body,  ), items, putting on Amulets etc. with +x to max health (they do stack)... Reviving Exhortation will raise your ally with 300 health (max) - so losing 150 isn't that bad then.

How is a character with that much health going to die in the first place? :no:

actually in my opinion it's bad. other revive are much better. you cant be saying it's not bad because you can cast barring's death door. what if there's no priest in the party? player's fault? :p. of course it's just my opinion. i have barring death's door but i didnt use it for this actually :). i use chanter's revive though. splitting resurrection to other classes is a good thing so that said class will not be a dependent class which promotes varied party composition .

Reviving Exhortation is only viable in a run where you don't care about resting a lot when injuries are not a concern. Then you can design builds in your party that are glass cannons like that barbarian suicide bomb build which will probably die in the middle of combat but they are so efficient in doing damage that you use exhortation on them because in the next 15 seconds they can be doing even more damage and it does not matter if they die, sometimes dying is ok if they have items which do aoe damage on death/wear the skaen light armor etc. 

• Like 1

Reviving Exhortation is only viable in a run where you don't care about resting a lot when injuries are not a concern. Then you can design builds in your party that are glass cannons like that barbarian suicide bomb build which will probably die in the middle of combat but they are so efficient in doing damage that you use exhortation on them because in the next 15 seconds they can be doing even more damage and it does not matter if they die, sometimes dying is ok if they have items which do aoe damage on death/wear the skaen light armor etc. 

understand your point on a terrorist build ;). if there's such a build it must be terribly viable because losing 1 key member is crucial for non solo players in my opinion :)

So far I'm not hearing anything to convince me that using this ability makes sense. I'm hearing some (admittedly pretty clever) edge cases.

It's really a pity, because I want to love the Paladin, but no reliable rez on Path of the Damned is a serious disadvantage. The priest, druid, and chanter all have a rez that doesn't then guarantee a KO and second injury 15 seconds later.

Wishing I had paid more attention before choosing Pally for Pallegina (But it's right in her NAME!). :facepalm:

:D sounds like nothing learned from PoE1 here. I share your dilemma if these numbers are correct.

They are, and I don't blame you for some possible skepticism. I took some screenshots to demonstrate, and here's one of them. You can see that it will kill a paladin, cipher, and mage. Based on hp/level, that will also extend to every class but (I think) barbarian and hunter. If I gave her another healing buff, it would make it worse.

ress1.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know what else to do besides raising your characters max health. Raising CON (with Nature's Vigor/Balm, Prayer for the Body, ), items, putting on Amulets etc. with +x to max health (they do stack)... Reviving Exhortation will raise your ally with 300 health (max) - so losing 150 isn't that bad then.

actually in my opinion it's bad. other revive are much better. you cant be saying it's not bad because you can cast barring's death door. what if there's no priest in the party? player's fault? :p. of course it's just my opinion. i have barring death's door but i didnt use it for this actually :). i use chanter's revive though. splitting resurrection to other classes is a good thing so that said class will not be a dependent class which promotes varied party composition .

Eh? Read again what I wrote.

I didn't say it's not bad. I just tried to find a way to make it work in the OP's situation.

The ability is not well implemented. It should just substract half of your max health (if that's lower than 300). That would make more sense. But it doesn't so I just named some options that came into my head.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

Most Paladin skills are average to useless, while the standouts are great.

For some reason, I think this dev team balances classes by creating skills no one would ever use. That could be fun...

Seriously, if a skill is awful why even offer it, other than to take up space and say “we have 370+ unique skills, spells, and abilities.”

Isn’t reviving exhortation supposed to Rez the character with a set number of hit point that can be well in excess of of his normal hps?

In your example, aloth for instance shall be raised with 392 hp and then lose 196 of those when the effect end, so he’ll survive if he hasn’t lost 200 hp

I haven’t use this ability in game so I don’t know if my assumptions are correct

• Like 1

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

It does not appear to add over usual max health, therefore some/most characters will die after 15 seconds. For example, Eder with 228 health would be revived with ~193 and very narrowly survive 191 damage hit after 15 seconds, while everyone else in my party would die without additional buffs and some would die anyway.

I think revive should be cheaper, perhaps 2 zeal, even if there was no hit whatsoever after 15 seconds, because otherwise paladin is clearly better off with taking just lay on hands and casting it pre-emptively on anyone who drops bellow 70%. From another perspective, deaths before running out of zeal are entirely preventible with lay on hands, while deaths after running out zeal can not be by definition undone with 4 zeal res, which moreover practically guarantees out of zeal scenario will happen.

Or divine retribution should be about level 9 or 11 passive (assuming summons do not count as allies).

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield

Try that and tell me if is a little better

Extract in override folder and enable it via Mod Manager inside the game
(create this folder in Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data if you haven't it)

https://mega.nz/#!m0AGUQpK!29YgNHmgMiDItB73t8KjJx2OEWvswbQpp-UyJV5ixtI

reduced health gained to 210 and health subtracted to 70 in reviving exhortation, also added a bonus of 15% action speed with hastening exhortation (like DAoM)

Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh

If someone want i can also reduce the zeal cost

Edited by kilay

It does not appear to add over usual max health, therefore some/most characters will die after 15 seconds. For example, Eder with 228 health would be revived with ~193 and very narrowly survive 191 damage hit after 15 seconds, while everyone else in my party would die without additional buffs and some would die anyway.

I think revive should be cheaper, perhaps 2 zeal, even if there was no hit whatsoever after 15 seconds, because otherwise paladin is clearly better off with taking just lay on hands and casting it pre-emptively on anyone who drops bellow 70%. From another perspective, deaths before running out of zeal are entirely preventible with lay on hands, while deaths after running out zeal can not be by definition undone with 4 zeal res, which moreover practically guarantees out of zeal scenario will happen.

Or divine retribution should be about level 9 or 11 passive (assuming summons do not count as allies).

that's why i think the skill is crap which i don't even bother taking. not sure what's on obsidian's mind. basically if you are dying most likely you won't survive long and reviving for 15secs and die again probably not going to help much in my opinion.

For 4 zeal it should not have any drawbacks... It's same situation as sacred immolation. Who created those abilities and for what purpose? If they wanted players to multi-class paladins so much, they could just say so.

From a priest perspective, in addition to using Barring Death's Door (or another immortality effect like Shieldbearer's lay on hands) as Reviving Exhortation wears off, you could also use Salvation of Time to extend the Reviving Exhortation effect (which is what triggers the massive damage when it wears off).

But yeah, these are just hacks on top of what appears to be an extremely badly implemented ability. They should halve the damage it deals. I'm fine with the 4 zeal cost because res effects should not come easily (and the different classes that can res do so at different power levels. arguably priest top rezzers, followed by druid or chanter, and then by paladin (with fighter self-res at last)).

• Like 1