Hey guys, 

So I wanted to go with the New Principi route this playthrough, and I took some time to poke around Fort Deadlight. My first time through, I just went with the party route - blow up Benweth using the harpsichord, then promptly left. Now I've followed the conversation tree, and I found the option to settle things peacefully. I can either get 1000 gold (Which is honestly chump change) or I can make him sing my praises to everyone in Fort Deadlight... which I assume is a reputation boost? 

Or I can just kill him and get  a really good piece of gear. 

Does Aeldys like you more if you don't kill Benny, or does she not care? I should also probably apologize profusely for murdering most of the rest of the crew of the Drake down in the dungeons, I suppose.  Also, is it just me or is stealing his ship out from under him and making him run out unguarded a lot more satisfying than blowing him up in the middle of a party? 

Also, is it just me or is stealing his ship out from under him and making him run out unguarded a lot more satisfying than blowing him up in the middle of a party? 

It's really satisfying because he knows he's ****ed, and he'll ask for mercy as you bully him. If you confront him in his office he's endlessly ****y.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

One interesting side benefit to sparing Benweth according to the Wiki (that I HAVEN'T tested).  Apparently if you spare Benweth when the power struggle between Furrante and Aeldys occurs near the end game, Aeldys will already be captive at Dunnage and one doesn't have to go back to Fort Deadlight to deal with her.  More to the point, there's an skill check option where you can spare her life in exchange for the information Furrante wants.

This means if you want to side with Furrante you don't have to kill her/fight your way out of Fort Deadlight.  This gives a non-violent path to siding with Furrante over Aeldys if that matters to anyone.

• Like 3

I have to say it's making it way too personal to go for a vendetta against Benweth for raiding your ship though. What do you think Furrante would have done if he didn't know about your history, or otherwise had reason to believe you a difficult target? Every damned Principi ship will attack you, Benweth was just optimistic enough to think his goons could handle you alone, and he lost them for it, price paid.

It's another thing if you just don't like pirates. Or you like them and want to join them. But going after him just for attacking your ship, one he picked simply because it seemed an easy target, meh.

**** all these considerations when you consider his armor and the quest experience available though.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods

Heh. Benweth is annoying, cowardly sh†t-talking sleazebag who fails to kill you in the very beginning of the game, prefers to strike at you from behind the backs of his goons or at least sic them on you first; there are multiple ways that you can get at him, you can either let him live for no good reason, let him live but humiliate him, or you can kill him and wear his tacky outfit. 

Reminds me of certain other Benny.  :shifty:

• Like 3

The Principi appreciate a dish served cold. 

That's why you should wait a few hours between picking up the stew and giving it to Mirke.

My Deadfire mods

Important addition to the previous post: note that as far as I can tell Aeldys' life isn't really spared in this scenario. She simply gets the punishment that is called Clussa's voyage instead of hanging, but that's basically another method of execution:

0fecf83eeb32e282c46c5eb66b4ecd79.png

She sails into Ondra's Mortar, and you never hear from her again. If there is a way to convince Furrante to spare her for real, I didn't find it. 

• Like 2

She sails into Ondra's Mortar, and you never hear from her again. If there is a way to convince Furrante to spare her for real, I didn't find it. 

Fair enuf, I was just going by the wording over at the Wiki which was a bit ambiguous.

Still, depending on how quickly the Watcher deals with the Mortar, it might just be her lucky day after all. ;)

• Like 1

Still, depending on how quickly the Watcher deals with the Mortar, it might just be her lucky day after all. 

In theory, yes. I kept hoping she would come to fight me on Ukaizo or at least resurface in the epilogue, but nope. But who knows. 

Mad Morena is really angry about the whole thing by the way, she runs out the Balefire Beacon swearing revenge on Furrante for fabricating charges against Aeldys (yes, she didn't even do anything wrong, they had to frame her to pull it off. I don't like Aeldys, but even I felt bad for her after this quest). 

Edited by Yria
  • Like 1