I've got couriers calling and I know to let the man on Tikawa die but what do I do with the one on port maje?

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I've got couriers calling and I know to let the man on Tikawa die but what do I do with the one on port maje?

Do you really have to let him die? :(

I was watching a walkthrough, and it seems like with a high enough diplomacy skill, you can pressure the Rauatai lady in Port Majae to take the scroll despite the stalker. She doesn't die but she has to leave early, which I *assume * saves the governor.

I was watching a walkthrough, and it seems like with a high enough diplomacy skill, you can pressure the Rauatai lady in Port Majae to take the scroll despite the stalker. She doesn't die but she has to leave early, which I *assume * saves the governor.

Yes, that will complete Maia's quest but the assassination won't occur (although I think someone mentioned a bug occurring where the assassination went off anyway, hopefully it's been fixed).

• Like 1

Yes, that will complete Maia's quest but the assassination won't occur (although I think someone mentioned a bug occurring where the assassination went off anyway, hopefully it's been fixed).

Encountered this bug today (Steam, v1.1.1.0064) - convinced Tuaha to take the missive (Diplomacy skill check), but the ending slide for Port Maje said that the assassination was successful.

I hope, that the next patch will fix.

I think I am nearing the end of my pay through. I will see if my ending slide is the same as yours.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Encountered this bug today (Steam, v1.1.1.0064) - convinced Tuaha to take the missive (Diplomacy skill check), but the ending slide for Port Maje said that the assassination was successful.

I hope, that the next patch will fix.

The same happened with mine. I'll try killing her next time, if that's possible without turning port maje hostile.

• Like 1

And my Rekke romancable!

The same happened with mine. I'll try killing her next time, if that's possible without turning port maje hostile.

I positioned myself a bit north of her, went stealth and killed her with one volley from my team.  A few people were frightened with yellow circles and I lost minor rep with Port Maje but no one went hostile.  Maia even helped kill her.  If you're too close to the Dawnstars camp, they will go hostile, so save before you strike.

Maia kind of pissed me off.  Worked as an assassin (even if she did have misgivings) and yet her parting letter to me basically said I don't care about making the world better for others.  I really thought I was going to like her because I loved Kana, but she's my least favorite of them all.

• Like 2

I positioned myself a bit north of her, went stealth and killed her with one volley from my team.  A few people were frightened with yellow circles and I lost minor rep with Port Maje but no one went hostile.  Maia even helped kill her.  If you're too close to the Dawnstars camp, they will go hostile, so save before you strike.

Maia kind of pissed me off.  Worked as an assassin (even if she did have misgivings) and yet her parting letter to me basically said I don't care about making the world better for others.  I really thought I was going to like her because I loved Kana, but she's my least favorite of them all.

some of maia most interesting dialogue are about kana

just like the digsite aloth conversation really need to be a poe1 player to appreciate

• 1 year later...

Hi Pkirsch,

Interesting, thanks for that info. 

It seems to me though that that randomness isn't reflected in Atsura's dialogue.  If you force her to take the missive, you can still get Atsura telling you that Tuaha was forced to flee off the island by the stalker,  but will still get the assassination endgame slide.    That's what led me to think it had to be a bug - the inconsistency between Atsura's dialogue and the endgame slide.  

I can appreciate the randomness up to a point, but kind of brutal to make someone think they averted the assassination based on Atsura's dialogue, only to have to play all the way through the game to find out the dice roll went bad and Atsura gave you bad info in the end.  Is there any reliable way to avoid Port Maje being effectively destroyed without the metagame knowledge that you simply can't ever talk to Tuaha?  Or at least some way of finding out in game that it's an assassination order so you can know in game to avoid it?

Fantastic game overall, by the way.  I really enjoyed it thoroughly,.  Very much hoping there will be a POE3.

Edited by Qwinn123

2 hours ago, Qwinn123 said:

Hi Pkirsch,

Interesting, thanks for that info. 

It seems to me though that that randomness isn't reflected in Atsura's dialogue.  If you force her to take the missive, you can still get Atsura telling you that Tuaha was forced to flee off the island by the stalker,  but will still get the assassination endgame slide.    That's what led me to think it had to be a bug - the inconsistency between Atsura's dialogue and the endgame slide.  

I can appreciate the randomness up to a point, but kind of brutal to make someone think they averted the assassination based on Atsura's dialogue, only to have to play all the way through the game to find out the dice roll went bad and Atsura gave you bad info in the end.  Is there any reliable way to avoid Port Maje being effectively destroyed without the metagame knowledge that you simply can't ever talk to Tuaha?  Or at least some way of finding out in game that it's an assassination order so you can know in game to avoid it?

Fantastic game overall, by the way.  I really enjoyed it thoroughly,.  Very much hoping there will be a POE3.

Apologies, I wasn't aware of the inconsistency between what Atsura says and the endslide. 

Averting the assassination and metagaming the story weren't built-in features of this quest. It was intentional that this be Maia's story, and the player is mostly along for the ride. I've seen on forums how this wasn't the most popular direction I could have taken the quest. I'm not sure that I would do anything differently for this particular story, but lesson learned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so telling me that the intent was a 50/50 chance of one or the other result made the Tuaha conversationbundle a WHOLE lot more comprehensible.  And here's the lowdown on how the inconsistency with Atsura happens.

The endslide considers the assassination successful if n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 1.

Atsura's conversation says that Tuaha completed her mission if n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 3 ("Tuaha reports success and sends her thanks for your swift intervention.")., and fled if n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 4 (""Tuaha is safe now, but unfavorable circumstances forced her to depart sooner than planned.")

The 50/50 chance that you're talking about sets those two variables up in this way:

EITHER n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 1 and n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 4, OR n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 2 and n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 4.

If the Success is 1, endslide says the assassination happened, and if 2, it doesn't, BUT in both cases, because n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 4 regardless of the random factor, Atsura is always going to say "Tuaha is safe now, but unfavorable circumstances forced her to depart sooner than planned."

So for consistency with that dialogue, the 50/50 chance in Tuaha's dialogue should have set:

EITHER n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 1 and n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 3, OR n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 2 and n_Quest_Tuaha_State = 4.

Now what my mod does (I hope you can see why it looked like a bug and the Tuaha_State always being 4 meant the assassination should always fail if you didn't stop the stalker) is that it bases the endslide on the value of n_Quest_Tuaha_State, ignoring the value of n_Quest_Tuaha_Success.

I'll probably make an alternate version of my mod that does the fix I proposed above in Tuaha's dialogue, though that won't fix any save games where Tuaha's already been talked to.  Would you agree that version would qualify as a bugfix?  And I'll clearly label my original version a tweak, since it effectively removes the 50/50 chance.

Hmm, on further reflection, my proposal for my "fix" version isn't good... you don't want Atsura saying that Tuaha "thanks you for your swift intervention" if you didn't in fact do anything beyond give her the missive.

I suppose in theory Tuaha could have had plans to stick around Port Maje AFTER the assassinations, and was forced to leave after the double assassinations but before whatever those post-double-assassination plans were... which seems a bit odd, you'd think most assassins would want to get off the island as soon as possible after completing such a mission... but it is in fact less immersion breaking the way it is than switching the dialogue to "thanks for your swift intervention" would be if you didn't in fact intervene.

At least the way my mod stands now, where "forced her to depart" always results in assassination failure, it never results in odd dialogue discrepancies such as the above.  But when I get some time I will detail what you've shared about the actual intent, and relabel my mod a tweak.  Thanks for the input.

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2019 at 12:04 AM, pkirsch said:

If the Watcher forces Tuaha to accept her orders without first dealing with the stalker, there is a 50/50 chance that Tuaha will succeed or be thwarted in the end slides. It's not a bug. 

If I may provide some feedback on this particular part of the quest design, while I appreciate the subversion of tropes (the initial reaction of an RPG player is to trust the companion and help her to complete the mission even if it looks a bit off), there is one thing that bothers me. "The Courier's Calling" is the only quest in PoE I know of that uses a chance vs clear action=>result system and does not communicate it clearly enough. And if there's a chance, I tend to make it certainty. Though, seeing the outcome about 40 - 60 hours after the action was rather inconvenient.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, Qwinn123 said:

n_Quest_Tuaha_Success = 2

Thank you for the information.