Devs: why were random encounters not included? They exist in almost every other RPG ever made and i feel they go a long way of breathing some life into an otherwise somewhat static game world. I know it seems silly, but i feel like islands that have no icons on it are pointless...theres no reason to explore beyond what i can see. Maybe some will disagree but i love the game so much i wish there was a way to prolong the fun. Random encounters would be a nice grind for those who want to stall the games rather abrupt ending.

((on a side note.....you almost made it feel open worldy!! I dream of the game thats a cross between Rimworld and Pillars/Baldurs (creative building survival open world sandbox meets party building/hard core crpg mechanics).....ehhhh????? greatest game ever?? i think so.......:D

;)

• Like 1

Obsidian decided to go with full-on unique and handcrafted attitude for Deadfire. Random encounters are usually tied to grinding - resource and xp. Not in support of those. But a small amount of random encounters could have made the world feel more alive. Currently you initiate every encounter, even ambushes - which doesn’t feel very ambushy.

• Like 3

Guest Blutwurstritter

Pillars 2 was done exactly right if it left you wanting for more. The omission of trash mobs and random trash mobs are some of the virtues of PoE 2 if you ask me. 

The world simply needs to be filled with more hand crafted content, that is why it feels empty at times. Random encounters become tiresome very quickly if they reduce to combat, or did the ambushes in Baldurs Gate 1/2 still feel exciting after the x'th time ? 

Edited by Blutwurstritter

Pillars 2 was done exactly right if it left you wanting for more. The omission of trash mobs and random trash mobs are some of the virtues of PoE 2 if you ask me. 

The world simply needs to be filled with more hand crafted content, that is why it feels empty at times. Random encounters become tiresome very quickly if they reduce to combat, or did the ambushes in Baldurs Gate 1/2 still feel exciting after the x'th time ? 

thats a good point. Ill take more content!!! :D ((still though, being a huge fan of games like stardew valley and rimworld, id love to see a game where it combines that kind of sandbox with an iso crpg group mechanic strategy :D))

At least you'd be sure to rest somewhere safe instead of the "yea just rest in front of an enemy or in the wilds while everyone is low hp." Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

Guest Blutwurstritter

If memory serves right, it mostly led to savescumming in BGI/II. Unless resting was disabled completely, which was rarely the case. And if resting was forbidden the rng generator woudnt even come into play, so the point is moot in regard to resting.

At least you'd be sure to rest somewhere safe instead of the "yea just rest in front of an enemy or in the wilds while everyone is low hp."

If memory serves right, it mostly led to savescumming in BGI/II. Unless resting was disabled completely, which was rarely the case. And if resting was forbidden the rng generator woudnt even come into play, so the point is moot in regard to resting.

At least you'd be sure to rest somewhere safe instead of the "yea just rest in front of an enemy or in the wilds while everyone is low hp."

So instead we get a nanny game where you don't have to worry about what's around the corner. You're right it's so much better.

You're not getting it. Savescumming or whatever you want to call it is what people choose to do. You're saying it's ok to make a game easy so people don't choose this. I don't get why people are so obsessed over what other people choose to do with their games rather than what the game has to offer.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 3

So instead we get a nanny game where you don't have to worry about what's around the corner. You're right it's so much better.You're not getting it. Savescumming or whatever you want to call it is what people choose to do. You're saying it's ok to make a game easy so people don't choose this. I don't get why people are so obsessed over what other people choose to do with their games rather than what the game has to offer.

It’s less about what other people do, but what players do overall - it’s about a good game design. RNG save rest was an issue a it wasn’t designed for a computer game with save/reload function. Slot machines might be appealing to some but they loose appeal if you can change the outcome whenever you like. Sure, you might not reload and treat it as a real slot machine but majority of the people won’t - because people pull the lever in order to win and if they have a way to change the outcome, they will. Getting ambushed is not fun - it’s a punishment for taking a risk, and a punishment which can be too easily avoided.

Still, we were talking about random encounters while traveling, not ambushes while resting - those were too in BGs but were o forgettable it seems people’s minds jumped to restin.

• Like 3

I am about to go to Ukaizo (just finishing some side quests) and the world feels depressing by now, there's no life, there's no movement. The world is a completely safe place, free of monsters, bandits trying to kill me, pirates, wild beasts and stuff. I personally think this is bad, and can't see this as a virtue of the game.

I honestly think there should be some pirate ships spawning constantly (which you would be able to flee if don't feel like fighting), and random bounties being offered in cities, those bounties would just spawn in the map every few in game days, and would also be competely optional.

At the moment, the closer you get to the end game, more boring and dead the world feels.

• Like 2

Guest Blutwurstritter

You are putting words in my mouth. I never said to make the game easier to stop savescumming nor did i comment on the difficulty settings.

The point is that I do not think that a mechanic that can be skipped by a simple quick load or moving back to a tavern, increases the challenge/complexity. You seem to imply that this is the case but i disagree. PoE II is an easy game, so was BGI/BGII.

The resting/random encounter mechanics of the Baldurs Gate series hardly made the games difficult and reintroducing them to PoE II won't improve the difficulty there either. It would only add repetitive combat, which becomes very quickly dull. I see no improvement to the overall gameplay by that.

So instead we get a nanny game where you don't have to worry about what's around the corner. You're right it's so much better.

You're not getting it. Savescumming or whatever you want to call it is what people choose to do. You're saying it's ok to make a game easy so people don't choose this. I don't get why people are so obsessed over what other people choose to do with their games rather than what the game has to offer.

Devs: why were random encounters not included? They exist in almost every other RPG ever made and i feel they go a long way of breathing some life into an otherwise somewhat static game world. I know it seems silly, but i feel like islands that have no icons on it are pointless...theres no reason to explore beyond what i can see. Maybe some will disagree but i love the game so much i wish there was a way to prolong the fun. Random encounters would be a nice grind for those who want to stall the games rather abrupt ending.

((on a side note.....you almost made it feel open worldy!! I dream of the game thats a cross between Rimworld and Pillars/Baldurs (creative building survival open world sandbox meets party building/hard core crpg mechanics).....ehhhh????? greatest game ever?? i think so.......:D

;)

I cannot agree more! Some would say random encounters are tiering and a nuisance and I understand that, that is why we have a options menu for those who want them disabled. I personally like resource management and being punished for traveling unprepared in the lush tropical jungles of the Deadfire.   

• Like 2

It did?!  I just slaughtered whatever random mobs spawned, which were always easier than the scripted encounters.  There was no reason to wait until your characters were so weakened that random mobs posed a threat.

Hell, sometimes I would chain rest in front of a boss area, to get characters on the cusp leveled up for the big fight.

This was already a problem in PoE1: the world is completely "dead" apart from the stuff that has been scripted into it. This "dead" nature of the world goes pretty far. For instance, if you want to rest when you have monsters right next to you (just outside of your reach, within the fog of war), you can: they will not move an inch, they will just stand there. There is not even an illusion of a world that is alive.

And nothing random will ever appear in any location you have visited.

• Like 2

Random encounters can be extremely interesting. For instance, in Baldur's Gate II, they were great.

But the good random encounters were also scripted. The developers just need to fool us into thinking the scripted encounters are random, or at least semi-random, so it feels unpredictable.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That's only true to a certain extent. I agree that they are not completely random, when you think of what the word "random" means, but they are random in the sense that you don't exactly know when they're going to happen. So, for example, in BG2:

-- You may come across some thieves and/or vampires at night

-- You may be ambushed when you sleep, either by "random" monsters or more specific encounters

-- You may come across monsters when you move from one location to another.

PoE had none of this. I think it was a shame, because as soon as you had gone through a map, it instantly became dead. And resting was always perfectly safe, even with monsters right next to you.

"Kind of", and "most" were your qualifiers. I'm not sure which percentage of maps went dead, but I would hazard it was less than 50%. You are right, though, that some of them did. But that's vastly different from PoE, where they ALL go dead.

No, more like 90%, if memory serves. (I last played the EE versions a couple of years ago.) Otherwise treking back to rest would have been much more painful.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

There are plenty of areas where you can rest but there's a chance of monsters waking you up (this, I'm happy to agree, isn't particularly great).

Anyway, I simply feel PoE missed a glorious opportunity to add an extra layer to the game. A game (in this genre) with random content is inherently more interesting than one without it, although the random content can obviously be implemented badly.

;)

Because random encounters are garbage.