Beguiler Focus Refund

Spleenless_Extortionist

Question

Beguiler abilty is supposed to give focus refunds (5 + Cipher PL) per hit with Deception powers on Sneak Attack qualifying enemies (at least it says so on the toopltip). However, AoE Deception powers (Phantom Foes, say) give no more than two refunds (as I gather, primary target + any of the secondary targets) no matter how many enemies vulnerable to Sneak Attack were actually hit. Example: at PL 3 my beguiler casts Mental Binding on Blinded Rusted Copper Construct surrounded by Blinded constructs and revenants. Focus goes from 35 to 31, despite the fact that at least four targets were hit (according to the Combat log).

I am a bit unsure how exactly is Beguiler supposed to work - maybe only hits on primary target should generate focus, so some clarification would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

Hi Spleenless_Extortionist,

Do you happen to have a video with the issue occurring? Ill get this in with our QA but Im sure they tried this and were getting the correct amount of Focus as this was reported before. I will double check with them.

Best,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

When I use Eyestrike on several enemies who already suffer from an appropriate afflicton I usually get more focus back than I spend - so in this case it seems to be working "as advertised". I didn't use Phantom Foes though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Allow me to hijack the thread. At the moment I suspect focus is refunded regardless of whether the target qualifies or not, i.e. even when target is not flanked and has no body/mind afflictions. Note that this is probably a regression.

I will run some tests when time allows and while at it I will also keep an eye on AoE refunds, and be back with hopefully a video. 

To Boeroer - Eyestrike is 10 focus, therefore it almost recoups its cost even when single target that qualifies is hit, two targets guarantee that. Phantom Foes is/are 20 focus, thus needs more. On the other hand, given its gigantic radius, if dropped on targets prepared by another spell, refund should be rather massive.

EDIT: and I hope I am wrong, because I am totally fed up with this stop/resume when fixed style of playing PoE.

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield

Guest Psychovampiric Shield

Okay, video number 1. A cipher with 22 focus at the beginning and +8 refund if deception spell hits a target with body/mind affliction or flanked hits unuspecting sailor with Tenuous Grasp (-10) and ends up with 20 (+ 8 ) 8); it is even clearly visible that focus dropped to 12 and then bounced back to 20.

Then with 65 focus drops Secret Horrors (-30) on a pack of sailors of which one is now mentally challenged, hits four, crits two, and ends up with 43 (+8 ) 8), which would seem about right, but...

Enters video number 2. Pallegina again brutally stabs old pal Gyntel, sailors scramble. The cipher starts with 67 focus, drops Secret Horrors (-30), hits four, crits two, gets +8 even though nobody has any affliction whatsoever and ends up with 45. Wtf? Nevermind, she then drops Mental Binding (-20), hits four, crits one, and ends up with 41 (+16). However,  four guys actually have both Secret Horror and Mental Binding debuffs, therefore refund should have been +32.

There is something rotten in the state of Denmark...

EDIT: perhaps of note is that in the second case, it is also clearly visible that focus droped to 25, then increased to 33 and further to 41, so there was in fact quick sequence of two one-hit refunds, rather than one two-hit refund.

EDIT 2: and the bug has apparently been around for a while, because in 2.1.0, hitting target without afflictions triggers refund as well. And I was so happy with how I wiped floor with Elwys, Angfor, Talfor and Steel Garrotes. Thought how clever I was, while in fact a glitch carried me through these battles. I think I will restart. Again. When/if this gets fixed, of course.

Edited by Psychovampiric Shield