BattleTech

I kept updating my earlier post with more complaints so I just dropped it

Time won't fix all my gripes with the game like spacing and scale and radar being worthless but it can fix some of the other problems like enemies literally spawning right next to you. Best way to play is to load up on brawlers every single mission because almost all of your fights are going to be up close and personal... and there's no melee attacks.

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 4 weeks later...

So I tried reinstalling this game, see if the patches have done something to fix some of the problems it had.

Just a few hours in, and I'm already sick of it. Reinforcements keep dropping literally in my face, and they get to act in that turn too. So much for DropShips being valuable and rare pieces of hardware that wouldn't risk being shot at. And that's only half the times, the other half enemies just... appear, out of thin air. I guess the designer dgaf about anything except muh challenge. And even that is pitiful because you can still spam laser vomit at center torso with max JJ for evasion and win against anything. The effects of bad AI and poorly balanced skills are apparently only made worse by the obligatory power creep from the actual expacs. So to give players something to do, missions are frequently 45-minute 12v4 slogs.

Googled a bit, seems people believe that this is the epitome of "tactics". Can't tell what's worse, the bad design or a community that excuses any shortcomings while condescendingly waxing clausewitzian.

Uninstalled, probably for the last time.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 3

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Can't tell what's worse, the bad design or a community that excuses any shortcomings while condescendingly waxing clausewitzian.

Paradox fans have Battered Person Syndrome. :P

• Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 1 month later...

So a new KS update dropped, which feels a lot like a sendoff letter, announcing a patch later this month.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2752749

They also say that's going to be the last free update, after which the game will remain on life support "customer support". And they are moving on to something non-BT related, which hopefully means Shadowrun.

It's been a good run, but I was kinda hoping they would announce a bigger, badder sequel, based on lessons learned from this game.

• Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.