BattleTech

Alright, I couldn't contain myself and bought the price reduced season pass... Played it for a couple days already (continued from my post-campaign savegame) and I'd say this is worth the money. Sure it only has a few new mechs and stuff, but the flashpoints are plenty and quite diverse. Spend quite a few hours on them already.

Still think that each DLC is not worth the 20 bucks, but the season pass for the (currently) 37 bucks is, because it also includes the third, not yet released DLC. Price / content ratio works for me here.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey everyone, long time! Mitch here. I just wanted to let you know about two big releases today.

The first is free Update 1.8, which contains two beloved BattleMechs: the Warhammer and the Marauder! These classic ‘Mech chassis are equipped with unique components that reflect their place in BT lore:

•  WARHAMMER  (70 Tons) - Its Optimized Capacitor Feeds increase the damage of all equipped Energy weapons.
  •  MARAUDER  (75 Tons) - Its Lance Command Module decreases the damage taken by it and its allies and gives a boost to Called Shots.

In addition to the two free ‘Mechs, there’s a bunch more cool additions in 1.8:

•  Official Mod Support - With this release of BATTLETECH, we are introducing official mod support to the game and now support the ModTek format that the modding community are currently using. We’ve also added new mod management UI to the main menu to streamline mod use. As usual, use mods at your own risk. In-game modding tools are not included.
  •  New Maps - Two new maps bring even more variety to your contracts: Jumbled Karst (an iconic rock formation set between two valleys), and Boulder Field (rolling hills and rocks dot this battle scarred landscape)
  •  New contracts - Over 40 new contracts, including new persistent allied and enemy NPCs, and new contract variants that mix up the gameplay you’ve seen in new and unexpected ways. Battle a dangerous solo mercenary, train a group of overly enthusiastic rookies, and serve as the personal bodyguard of an arrogant noble.
  •  New Events - We’ve added a slew of new mercenary travel Events to “enhance” your mercenary life.
  •  Rebalanced Stores & LosTech - We’ve completely overhauled how weapons and equipment appear in our stores. Finding items is now more straightforward. We’ve also given LosTech items a boost in power to fit their legendary status.
  • New Star Map Weapon Store Filters - We’ve added a new filter dropdown to the star map that lets you view planetary industry by type and a tooltip that tells you what you can find in each star system.
  •  Mech Viewer - Get a close-up view, rotate and customize your ‘Mech paint pattern directly in the MechLab!
  •  New Merc Company Crests - Scads of new emblems to choose from for your mercenary company, drawn from notable factions throughout the Inner Sphere. Roleplay your heart out!

And there's more! Our second release today is our third expansion for BATTLETECH, closing out our Season Pass.

What’s in Heavy Metal??? Behold our marketing text!
Seven Classic BattleMechs
These beloved ‘Mechs are a big part of BattleTech’s legendary 35 year history and several debuted in the original tabletop boxed set in 1984. To honor these classics, each BattleMech in Heavy Metal contains a unique piece of special equipment that reflects the flavor described in the original technical readouts and lore.

•  FLEA  (20 Tons) - a light-weight nuisance that is deadly if ignored. Targeting Baffles make the Flea one of the hardest to hit ‘Mechs in the game.
  •  ASSASSIN  (40 Tons) - a light ‘Mech killer, the Assassin is notable for having an absolutely insane jump distance for a 'Mech of its size. Its Intercept System bypasses much of the Evasion generated by fast ‘Mechs.
  •  VULCAN  (40 Tons) - is well suited for short-range fighting against enemy brawlers. Its Close Quarters Combat Suite extends the range of all equipped Support weapons and grants a substantial defense bonus against melee attacks.
  •  PHOENIX HAWK  (45 Tons) - very agile and intended to outwit contemporaries and lighter opponents on the battlefield. Its Vectored Thrust Kit increases its jump distance and the damage it inflicts after making a jump.
  •  RIFLEMAN  (60 Tons) - well known for having very thin armor and superb targeting ability at long range. Its Ranged Engagement Suite increases its visual range, removes the penalties for attacks at long range and reduces the Recoil from Ballistic weapons.
  •  ARCHER (70 Tons) - a storied BattleMech that has been piloted by some of the most noteworthy MechWarriors in BattleTech lore. Its Enhanced Missilery System dramatically improves the clustering and Stability damage of missile weapons.
  •  ANNIHILATOR (100 Tons) - one of the slowest and most heavily-armed behemoths in existence. Ballistic Siege Compensators increase the Stability rating of the Annihilator and the damage of its equipped ballistic weapons.

An “HBS Original” BattleMech
Designed by Heavy Metal Art Director Marco Mazzoni, this brand new ‘Mech is Harebrained Schemes’ addition to this venerable game setting. It’s origin is shrouded in mystery (for now).

• BULL SHARK  (95 Tons) - [redacted] Its Thumper Cannon allows it to target an area with a barrage of high-explosive shells.

Eight New Weapon Systems
The combination of the unique new special ‘Mech equipment and these new weapon systems adds a host of interesting new tactical decisions to your Mech Lab and the battlefield.

1. COIL Beam - a “Contained Overflow Inertia Linkage” system that generates more energy damage the further the attacker travels before firing.
  2. Inferno Missiles - do little physical damage but coat a target in burning fuel that spikes their heat.
  3. LBX Autocannon - LBX ACs are the shotguns of the 'Mech world, firing cluster munitions that can hit multiple locations on a BattleMech.
  4.  ‘Mech Mortar - an area-effect weapon that can dramatically turn the tide of battle by damaging or destroying multiple units at once.
  5.  Ultra Autocannon - fires two rounds or ballistic ordnance in a single attack.
  6.  Narc Missile Beacon - a warhead-deployed homing beacon that allows allied missile attacks to be more effective against the target.
  7.  Snub PPC - a short-range version of the awesome Particle Projection Cannon that spreads its damage across multiple locations on a BattleMech.
  8.  TAG - paints the target with a targeting laser which improves allied energy and ballistic attacks against the target.

Flashpoint Campaign: “Of Unknown Origins”
A series of linked flashpoints and connected special events that bring you face-to-face with two legendary characters from BattleTech lore - the Bounty Hunter and the Black Widow of Wolf’s Dragoons. A derelict cargo ship has drifted into the Periphery from deep space. What secrets does it contain, and who will ultimately control its mysterious payload?

We hope you have fun with today’s two releases and the last 18 months of free updates and game expansions. It’s been an honor to make games for you and to serve the 35 year legacy we’ve been lucky to be a part of!

Take care,

Mitch and the BATTLETECH Team

• Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21

I wish I could say that I suspected ShadySands of secretly being Mitch Gitelman all along.

Honestly, the free patch sounds better than the paid DLC, value-wise. Which is good, I guess, except if you purchased the Season Pass?

I suppose I'll grab the whole bunch in a year or three. Sadly nothing in there that immediately makes me want to reinstall the game. Sorry, Mitch.

Edited by 213374U
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Like 4

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Started playing again, because of the new DLC and mechs, etc... Cool so far.

What I find funny is how Battletech itself (without realizing it?) makes a point about how clearly mechs are inferior to tanks. As soon as you're fighting a bunch of heavy armor, you really have to start taking care of your mechs, because they will get shredded. Tanks are plenty, annoying, tiny, fast, you have to aim-fire if you want to take them down quickly... They are barely a fraction of the size of a mech, much easier on the tech-side and likely much, much cheaper as well.

So going by that... what's the point of fielding mechs? Might as well just load your dropship full with a battalion or two of tanks. 😆

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

So going by that... what's the point of fielding mechs? Might as well just load your dropship full with a battalion or two of tanks. 😆

I would say that in a hypothetical fictional universe, mechs would best serve as spies and reconnaissance like special forcess and would hardly constitute the bulk of ground warfare.

Campbell Lane of Homeworld fame would have been great for that trailer.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

I love that it's supposed to be the return of the great single player MechWarrior games and we haven't heard anything about the story since the initial announcement. I've seen there's a demo of sorts available and even that is just co-op vs ai missions.

Even if it weren't an Epic exclusive, it's not so much that I'm giving it a pass, it's that I haven't been given a reason to care.

maybe when it hit GoG...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm not hyped for it at all.

All I've seen of it so far was... mediocre at best, I guess. The missions looked boring and very same-y, I'm scared of the companion ai (bet it sucks), and yes, we have heard surprisingly little about the story, which makes me think it won't be good or interesting at all.

It still looks interesting, but not 40 bucks interesting.

7 hours ago, Gorgon said:

Epic though, and I don't know how pay-to-winnish it's going to be. Hopefully a multiplayer mode that they don't monetize. 

Why would it be P2W? I remember reading about a co-op campaign, but is it supposed to be like MWO beyond that?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

edit: derp

(yeah, it wouldn't make much sense to put out a product intended to create competition for themselves)

Edited by 213374U