RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - BATTLE ROYALE

So wait, do you play as New Dante or 5 O'Clock Shadow OG Dante in Devil May Cry 5?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This will answer all your questions...

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's a very poor Geralt :p

I shall dub him "Gerlat". Crapcom has a tendency to screw things up whether with Megaman, Resident Evil or DMC. Hmmm... seems to be a pattern with existing ip's.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

So wait, do you play as New Dante or 5 O'Clock Shadow OG Dante in Devil May Cry 5?

By new Dante do you mean Nero? You play as both I think, it will probably be like DMC4.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

For those wondering if Valve was still pushing forward with their Linux efforts, the answer is a definitive and emphatic yes.  While Steam Machines fell flat on their face, SteamOS is alive and well and has been regularly updated.  In the past couple months there have been quite a few updates in preparation for a major update coming quite soon.    Also, those using or familiar with Linux probably know about WINE, which is a recursive acronym that stands for WINE Is Not an Emulator.  Anyway, WINE is a project that's been ongoing for 25 years and it's a compatibility layer for running Windows programs on Linux.  Recently, the development of WINE has rapidly accelerated and has been bolstered by a couple of related projects, namely DXVK and vkd3d.  In the past, for graphics, WINE translated DirectX executions to OpenGL.  DXVK instead translates DX10 & 11 executions to Vulkan and vkd3d translates DX12 to Vulkan (which is actually a lot simpler than what DXVK does since DX12 and Vulkan are so similar).  While DXVK and vkd3d are still relatively new projects and there are a lot of kinks to works out (often in the form of graphical glitches), they tend to come with a much lower performance penalty than the old way of translating DX to OpenGL.

Well, now the cat is out of the bag and Valve have revealed a new version of Steam Play for Linux that integrates Proton, a modified version of WINE that uses DXVK and vkd3d.  This now allows you to install and play non-native games on Linux using Proton through the native Steam client seamlessly.  Furthermore, it has been revealed that Valve were the ones that funded the development of DXVK and helped fund vkd3d and helped in much of the recent development of WINE.  Right now only a few games are officially supported by Proton but unsupported games can be forced via overrides.  Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Combine this with Steam TV, Valve's Twitch competitor that's linked to Steam and SteamOS starts to look a lot more attractive.  One of my biggest criticisms of SteamOS, when I gave it a spin, is Steam lacking integrated recording.  The problem is that in SteamOS gaming, which is Steam Big Picture Mode, and your desktop are in 2 separate sessions.  This creates a problem for recording since Steam has no integrated recording and you need to switch to a different session to run any program from the desktop, so you can't really record gameplay from SteamOS without an external capture card or jumping through several hoops of fire.  Now, with Steam TV, it's only a matter of time until Valve integrate streaming directly to Steam TV into Steam itself, which will make streaming to Twitch or saving the recording to the hard drive that much easier since it's just a matter of redirecting the built in recording software to output to Twitch or a file on your hard drive or whatever.  In fact, I'm pretty confident Valve will just do that themselves and let you chose where you want to stream to or save your recording right into Steam and you won't have to do any workarounds.  This is all speculation, of course, but it seems like the logical next step.

Anyway, long story short, Valve have not given up on Linux, in fact they've been directly and indirectly responsible for Linux gaming being in a better place now than it's ever been.  Things continue to move forward, but these things take time and we're also talking about Valve here and we all know Valve works on Valve Time.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Anyway, long story short, Valve have not given up on Linux, in fact they've been directly and indirectly responsible for Linux gaming being in a better place now than it's ever been.  Things continue to move forward, but these things take time and we're also talking about Valve here and we all know Valve works on Valve Time.

*lowers pitch-fork*

That's all good news. I'll give SteamOS a go since it's...free!

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

*lowers pitch-fork*

That's all good news. I'll give SteamOS a go since it's...free!

Give it a few weeks.  Right now Proton is only in the Steam Beta client and it has some issues (namely segfaulting) on some systems.  I think we can expect some bumps in the road at first.  Unless you want to be one of the first and provide Valve with bug reports and feedback, which is cool if you do want to do that, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're an experienced Linux user, I would wait until at least the first round of issues are worked out.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸