What are you playing right now?

Red Alert didn't really have cheesetastic FMV. That was RA2 and then the **** and ass of RA3 :lol:

Some of the Soviet campaign videos were pretty cheesy in Red Alert, but yes, compared to Red Alert 2 and 3 it's really down to earth.

The German accent in allied FMVs is cheese overload. :D

And i miss HellKitty, he made me run TW2000 and i couldn't get past character creation either. It was the best part of the game. hehehe.

Also Jagged Alliance had enough of it's own cheese. No need to add more.

Edited by Majek
  • Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

I finished chapter 2 in Phantom Doctrine.  I was asking for a more difficult mission and they delivered for the chapter ending mission.  Granted, I still stealthed it, or as much of it as is possible, but that's just because I am the God of Stealth.  :shifty:  It's impossible to completely stealth that mission for reasons I won't reveal because spoilers, but I stealthed everything I could and finished the mission with zero damage taken AND I kidnapped an enemy agent for interrogation, followed by either brainwashing or a bullet in their head, I haven't decided yet.

As for C&C I LOVE Red Alert 3.  Sure, the gratuitous **** & ass was maybe unnecessary, not that I mind :brows: , but they also cranked the absurdity level up to 11 in the story and Tim Curry and George Takei ham it up so ****ing hard in the FMV scenes.  It's a freakin' masterpiece of cheese.  My biggest complaint about the game is the insane difficulty spike for the Empire of the Rising Sun campaign.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Red Alert didn't really have cheesetastic FMV. That was RA2 and then the **** and ass of RA3 :lol:

Some of the Soviet campaign videos were pretty cheesy in Red Alert, but yes, compared to Red Alert 2 and 3 it's really down to earth.

Ok touche, forgot about crawling up on tables when poisoned.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

XCOM 2.  Never before has the "bladestorm" ability been so effective for me.  I made a bad positioning choice by sending one of my soldiers too far forward near the end of my turn, which resulted in a new crop of enemies showing up out of the fog of war and me having no more turns to shoot at them.  So I figured I'd be losing at least one soldier, with others taking some damage.

Enter bladestorm.  The first enemy (a muton) moved to melee my ranger.  But bladestorm activated and I scored a critical hit, killing him outright.  Then the second enemy (a viper) used its coil thing where it pulls the soldier toward it to then squeeze it.  Unfortunately for the viper, he pulled my ranger toward him and as soon as my ranger was in striking range, bladestorm activated and killed him.

The funniest part?  None of that was planned.  I only sent that soldier ahead because he was closest to the target (I believe it was a beacon that had to be turned off), not really thinking there'd be more enemies in range to attack him, and not even thinking he could defend himself from melee attacks with bladestorm.

• Like 3

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Since I backed Bard's Tale 4 on Kickstarter I got remastered versions of the original games (lhough 2 and 3 are coming at a later date) in the package. Yesterday I downloaded it not thinking much about it. I mean, I loved those games back in the day but that was before the 3D revolution. I didn't have high hopes.

Spent probably an hour just rerolling characters. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the stupidity of rerolling the perfect char through sheer stubbornness. Then I went into Skara Brae and died a bazillion times before I even got to level 2. Apparently I had forgotten how much more difficult games were back then (even though the Bard's Tale games were notoriously difficult even for the times).

Long story short, I'm currently level 9 and spent half the night on the first level of the Skara Brae sewers..

• Like 4

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Moved on to Heavy Rain.  I'm not digging it so far.  Maybe it gets better, but I thought Detroit Become Human did a better job of pulling me in quickly.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I felt the same, the evolution of storywriting in video games is clear. You can really tell (easily) when a developer learns from their past mistakes - or doesn't.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Replaying the Banner Saga, gonna make my way up to the newly released third installment.

I really like the first game, but making my way into the second one makes me remember why I was annoyed with it. Namely that it goes through exactly the same tutorializing that the first game does with no way to skip all the "click here, and now click here, and now you must train in camp, and now you must do this" stuff.

Since the story is such a direct continuation of the first game, it's extremely annoying to have such a slow start and to go through exactly the same things you had to do in the first game.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Rage - Not feeling it. It just feels like a bad shooter that is trying to be an open world game at the same time and it just fails. I think I'm halway through though, playing it one mission a day and I'll be able to finish it someday.

Close Combat 2 - I love the **** out of this game still. I was watching Band of Brothers and I just had to get this from GOG. I can't even remeber the hours I put into this game in -98 (or when ever it came out). Still having a blast, though I would be really glad if the game gave even some intel on what to expect. I really really hate it when tanks suddenly appear and I have no AT crews. Also zooming in on the map in debriefing mode would be nice feature as well, so you could check the actual map properly before making any decisions.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Since I backed Bard's Tale 4 on Kickstarter I got remastered versions of the original games (lhough 2 and 3 are coming at a later date) in the package. Yesterday I downloaded it not thinking much about it. I mean, I loved those games back in the day but that was before the 3D revolution. I didn't have high hopes.

Spent probably an hour just rerolling characters. I had forgotten how much I enjoy the stupidity of rerolling the perfect char through sheer stubbornness. Then I went into Skara Brae and died a bazillion times before I even got to level 2. Apparently I had forgotten how much more difficult games were back then (even though the Bard's Tale games were notoriously difficult even for the times).

Long story short, I'm currently level 9 and spent half the night on the first level of the Skara Brae sewers..

I'm having a blast with the BT1 remake as well right now.  It seems to be a hybrid of the entire previous trilogy; spells from the second game have made it into this one, the traps are a complete *%$&^ to deal with (in the PC version of the original, traps might have knocked off a point or two, and didn't leave behind many critical effects, IIRC; these ones are nasty pieces of work).  There are ranged enemies and weapons, but they don't make a big deal of that, not like in BT2, a couple little bits of lore that I don't remember from the first game, a few messages scattered about, and there doesn't seem to be a "99 limit" on the group size any more, though I've only seen that limit broken on one occasion so far.

Am slowly penetrating Mangar's 5th right now.  I think it's just as difficult as I remember, which is to say that I'm running away a lot, and half of my party is either Old, Poisoned, Drained, Stoned, or just outright Dead... and usually a combination of all five.  It's glorious.

• Like 2

BFA is enjoyable, the zones are all pretty at least on Kul Tiras. A nice change from Legion at least. The Azerite gear is a decent enough mechanic even if it is sort of like reforging of old.

Got a late start and just finished my first zone, Drustvar, but what a zone it was. Witches' covens, giant pig monsters, assassinations at weddings, little girls singing creepy songs about their villages being massacred... y'know, the good stuff.

That is correct, Allied Races are reputation rewards. It gets better, the majority available right now are gated behind the last expansion's reputations. If that's a dealbreaker, I suggest steering well clear.

Currently available from last expansion's content: Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged Draenei, Void Elf

Currently available from new content: Dark Iron Dwarf, Mag'har Orc

Announced, listed on the official website but actually not even available: Zandalari Troll, Kul'Tiran Human

Hopefully there's a free trial of BfA eventually. Don't have the time to justify the subscription fee lately, let alone the cost of the expansion. It also sounds like my old guild won't have the numbers to form a viable raid, 2007-2018, end of an era.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've bought the last couple expansions but only played for a few days before dropping it each time so I'd be starting fresh. I wanted to play a void elf.

If you've got a character close to max level anywhere (since you bought the previous expansions, I assume you had boosts) you could probably knock the rep out in three weeks, assuming you have time. But that doesn't sound like fun at all. I unlocked the allied races because it was content I'd done already anyway, but I think for new players Blizzard seriously dropped the ball with their allied race unlock requirements. Races are a huge draw and telling new players "no, you can't be them" is a massive turnoff.

• Like 1

BFA is enjoyable, the zones are all pretty at least on Kul Tiras. A nice change from Legion at least. The Azerite gear is a decent enough mechanic even if it is sort of like reforging of old.

Got a late start and just finished my first zone, Drustvar, but what a zone it was. Witches' covens, giant pig monsters, assassinations at weddings, little girls singing creepy songs about their villages being massacred... y'know, the good stuff.

I missed that little girl and the tea party, I guess I should have followed the road.  I started with Drustvar too, they did a good job having each zone have a consistent story.  Working my way to finish the Alliance story line, had missed a fun quest chain in Stormsong where you get to burn orcs alive, which is always fun.  Easy to do with a healer as the dungeon queue's are nice and short, even if I have to deal with idiots and self centered scumbag DPS untermensch.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

South Park: Fractured But Whole

Lots of fun and pretty funny, too. I think I'm nearing the end of the main game and will have the DLC to start afterwards.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."