What are you playing right now?

It's been a while since I played the previous XCOM, but did every mission have a "timed" element to it?  All missions I've been on so far have involved having to complete the objective within 'X' amount of turns.  Maybe it's just poor memory, but I don't remember that being the case all the time before.

The timed missions are actually the reason for me giving up on XCOM 2 multiple times. I hate cheapass design of the "Complete the mission in x turns or you'll lose instantly!" sort. Then again, a whole lot of people seemed to have liked the timers after they grew accustomed to them, so ... Eh.

Also, no, there was only a single timed mission type in the original, and it was reasonably rare.

I don't mind them in certain situations, but it just seems dumb so far when it's been pretty much every mission, even ones that shouldn't seem to have a "timer".

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm playing Tyranny. Love the setting, story and writing so far (started Chapter 2) more than PoE and kinda-sorta on par with Deadfire, although I can see how it's not for everyone (not only are you surrounded by as$holes, you are one too!). Also spell system is neat.

But I cannot with combat.  :banghead:

I play RTWOPs so obviously I don't need something awesome happen every time I push a button, but something...anything  would be nice. Here I click and I don't know what's happening -- or rather why nothing is happening. Did I misclick? Was my action put on a queue? Did I click impatiently multiple times and now somehow locked or canceled that action? Is there even an auto-attack?  :unsure:

Aaaanyway. After a few restarts I found out that electricity/frost mage works well enough, so for now the remaining major problem is me being piss poor all the time. Loot is such garbage that selling it just barely covers my expenses of tower upkeep and lore training.  :(

Edited by bugarup

After reading about the Horizon mod for Fallout 4, I thought about giving that game another try, maybe this time I would play through all DLC (I only finished the Robot invasion)
But alas, a few hours into the game I lost interest again.

I think I had more fun setting up my mods than the with the game itself.

More time for my Ironman Jagged Alliance 2  run

If I stumble upon a lost treasure someday, I will sell it and build a PC with the money just to be able to play Fallout: Miami. I would also replay Fallout: New Vegas with 4K textures. *dreams*

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I believe a lot of the Xcom 2 timers are just for reinforcements though, not just 'you lose'. But yeah, given the setting, there is a lot more if a time crunch. Thankfully you also get a lot more mobility options on soldiers.I enjoyed sprinting away fron the zombies, at least.

No Man's Sky

It's changed so much since release. I won't say it's a whole different game, but it's definitely a much better one. The first thing I noticed when I started a new game is my ship was nowhere in sight. The game wanted me to learn how to recharge my environment suit first before telling me where to find it.

Elements and crafting have been completely revamped with a refinement system. Iron has ferrite dust, pure ferrite, and maxnetized ferrite, for example. carbon, concentrated Carbon. Copper, chromatic metal.

I remember fueling launch thrusters with just red crystals, whatever they were, and now you have to build fuel out of like oxygen jelly stuff and iron sheets.

Space stations are no longer what appears to be a bar with like two guys, but an airport with a dozen or so and like 6 traders.

Using pulse engine to approach waypoints, the ship will stick to that waypoint, and even orbit around the planet to drop you on top of it. A great improvement over having to manually orbit and hope you don't miss it.

Combat appears to be rebalanced. In 35 hours of my original playthrough, I never won a space battle. In 4-5 hours last night, I've won two, a tutorial mission that lead to my first freighter, and some quest a guy gave me.

And then there's the base building and freighter ownership. And your starship can apparently come be summoned anywhere, assuming you have launch fuel to do it. That would have helped me so much that one time I got stranded on a planet that didn't have any of those red crystals, so I had to scrounge far and wide for them. And I forgot vehicles! I haven't even seen those yet.

In the original game, all my time was spent hunting for backpack upgrades and ships with higher capacities. Well, I've not seen a single one of those once. My entire gameplay loop is changed and I'm spending more time focusing on just getting fuel to keep on until I find a fascinating enough planet to build my base.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My 4-2-3-1 formation is wrecking faces in the Swedish league, guess I got lucky getting a fast Italian reject winger, forgot how useful the Inside Forward role is.  So clicking along well and posing a serious threat to Goteborg.  Still find it funny Malmo is some amazing team when they play me yet still end up 7th in the league, wonky match engine I suppose.

Other than that : playing Overwatch for my sins, managed to claw my way out of bronze and into the 8th circle of hell known as silver. :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I played Death of the Outside more than the base game. It's shorter and a tad more linear, but I still like it quite a lot. Billy is cool, the powers are cool, rats are cool,... just wish you could do a little bit more with the rats.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished Divinity Original Sin 2. Enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time through after stalling out in Driftwood last time as I was a lot more prepared for its foibles. It's still absolutely riddled with quest bugs, and the armour system and initiative systems are still moronic but I came to terms with them. The only big remaining bugbear is the fake difficulty got from starting every 'boss' type opponent with a massive stack of extra AP such that the biggest tactic in the game is often working out how to position everyone to survive the initial round where the equivalent of a nuke is dropped (90% of the time solution is: teleport a peon to your character so the big bad wastes their AP running to you). Plot is the very definition of meh and there is barely a memorable character in the game (Malady probably came closest) despite me actually quite liking the plot in DOS1.

Overall, it's pretty much the definition of a 7/10 game. Don't regret playing it, but it was mostly a time killer while waiting for or doing other stuff.

I believe a lot of the Xcom 2 timers are just for reinforcements though, not just 'you lose'. But yeah, given the setting, there is a lot more if a time crunch. Thankfully you also get a lot more mobility options on soldiers.I enjoyed sprinting away fron the zombies, at least.

The fog of war always gets me in those timed missions.  I spend like 2 or 3 early turns just moving my squad methodically forward to find where the enemies are, so by the time I actually see where the bad guys are, I'm down to a limited number of turns left before the timer runs out.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Having four of the eight characters now in Octopath Traveler... off to get the others and start thinking about party compositions. Hmmm.

edit:

This talk about the new XCOM games is fun to follow. I keep thinking of the old ones where you opened the door of your landing craft and were greeted by a bunch of reaction shots and dead people before being able to take any action. Or the inevitable psi test where you find out all your best soldiers have the brain power of toast.

Eh, or that time when enemy commanders mindscrew your heavy weapons guy into blowing himself and your squad up. ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I played Death of the Outside more than the base game. It's shorter and a tad more linear, but I still like it quite a lot. Billy is cool, the powers are cool, rats are cool,... just wish you could do a little bit more with the rats.

Please don't fix that typo. Death of the Outside is what I have been playing this whole summer. :grin:

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

They certainly don't give you much preparation before tossing you in the deep end in XCOM, do they.  I've already got a million missions on my queue, a bunch of random research and engineering projects, and have to decide which ones to do and which to leave until later.  And all while I'm still trying to get a hang of the game.

I remember why I got frustrated with the last one.  It never seemed like I had a second to even figure out what I want to build without getting constant notifications that I need to build this or that, or that I need to go on this mission or that mission instead of the one I was going to choose.

X-Com 2 > X-Com

Divinity Original Sin 2 > Divinity Original Sin

I see a pattern here....

#JustSonicThings

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

UFO: Enemy Unknown > XCOM 2 > XCOM

Baldur's Gate > Divinity Original Sin 2 > Divinity Original Sin

I see a pattern here....

#JustSonicThings

Fixed that for you. And yeah, there's a pattern. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I started playing Shin Megami Tensei Liberation Dx2 on my Android phone. It's f2p and I'm fully expecting to hita pay wall and the game to attempt to milk me dry, but my love of all things MegaTen compels me toat least give it a try.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think I'm giving up on XCOM2.  It's just way too unforgiving.  I even put it on the easiest setting and the enemies scale up way, way faster than my ability to upgrade soldiers/equipment.  I just got my entire squad killed because one random mech comes out of the fog of war and is allowed to basically walk across the entire map to then shoot my soldier, then the other soldier (who also came out of nowhere) finishes off my other soldier.

Steam tells me I got 14h into XCOM before I hit the same wall some of you are describing. Apparently, I just cant into multi-tasking, so I become overwhelmed. That probably also explains my sheer suck at 4x games. Just too much going on for me. :(

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous XCOM game.  This one, for whatever reason, just seems to throw way too much at you too soon, and doesn't seem to give you even a second to breath or opt for "side missions" before forcing some major decision on you.  All the while, your engineering and science stuff is crawling along at a snail's pace while they're pushing you deeper into the story.

• Like 1

I should take a break from Guild Wars 2 some day and finish a personal project in Borderlands 2... I made it to OP1 on my "main" toon. Would love to some day get to OP8.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein