So, after recruiting Maia in Neketaka with my ranger, you can talk to her about her brother, and, depending on the import, get some choices concerning his death, which is a nice bit of reactivity. I've also heard there's good reactivity if you sacrificed him, which is a very nice touch.

However, in this particular playthrough, Kana died sacrificing himself to stop the Eyeless at the end of the White march expansion. A pretty heroic death, yet there's no way of telling Maia what happened, as there is no import for that particular situation in Deadfire. While I understand that it's not that important a choice to carry over, it still stings that there's no chance to inform Maia of her brother's sacrifice, especially since she's the one to ask for closure and the only other options are to lie, say nothing, or act like he just happened to die at some point with a varying degree of empathy.

̶I̶n̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶d̶s̶, ̶l̶i̶t̶e̶r̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶p̶l̶a̶y̶a̶b̶l̶e̶  It's nothing game-breaking and won't stop me from enjoying the playthrough, but it's still disheartening for that particular choice to lack impact on said conversation.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 11

Could probably file a bug report for this oversight; there’s a chance they can patch it in.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

That's what happens if you tell her you sacrificed her brother to the blood pool.

That's really cool to see the other companions reactions too. It would feel weird if they just let it pass.

Though it's also weird that they don't leave or potentially leave immediately.

Does this get her relationship to -2?

I wonder what are her ending slides in this case. :biggrin:

Sadly she doesn't appear to have a slide reflecting this other than the one that plays if Kana died. I didn't complete the game with her knowing although I did complete a super evil Aeldys playthrough where I sacrificed Kana to the blood pool, never told Maia, romanced her, and convinced her to quit Rauatai's navy to make her have an awful ending. I suspect if you *did* tell her then her refusal to speak with you probably gets her "happy with the RDC" ending slide. But whenever the Crookspur/Splintered Reef undead takeout restaurant ending slide is no longer bugged I'm shooting to do an evil Alvari-led VTC playthrough, so I'll tell her in that playthrough and see what ending she winds up with.

• Like 1

That's what happens if you tell her you sacrificed her brother to the blood pool.

What a cop out! They should have had her attack you no matter what excuse you gave.

I know, it is kind of a let down that openly boasting to doing a pretty evil act in the first game just to rub it in their family's member face (for a small amount of power at the time, no less) doesn't have Maia turn on you or attack you for being a complete monster. Or Eder, Aloth, and Pallegina not particularly caring beyond expressing shock that Kana's death was no accident.

I wouldn't have minded an addendum to Maia's personal quest to have another secret missive targeting the Watcher. Or even an ending slide similar to beating Thaos without dealing with the Eyeless to get a slide that you don't have to worry about calm weather sailing home because Maia shot you.

• Like 2

Seconded. I’d have expected Maia to attack and at least Pallegina to join her; possibly Aloth and Edér too.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus