How many and which ships did you buy?

I never bought anything in my PTs except for the Junk. I felt there's no need to waste money on an inferior ship. when you get to Neketaka there's enough money to be made before you leave the city to buy the Junk, upgrade it and stock up your party with advanced equipment. I wanted to buy the other ones, but it just sounds so inefficient.

Also, whats the point of having multiple ships? Is one ship better at something than another? Can you field more than one ship? Nope.

I get a voyager fast and play the charge and board game. I don't mind sinking but buying, outfitting and crewing a junk is costlier.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Also, whats the point of having multiple ships?

Only for achievement

Is one ship better at something than another?

Judging by stats - yes. Sloop and Voyager are faster, more maneuverable and take less money to maintain, while galleon and junk are slower, sturdier and with superior fire power. And Dhow being somewhere in the middle:

1KXQwx3.png

In previous patch junk was in my opinion the strongest option, because of it's sturdiness combined with amount of cannons. You could fire-jibe-hold-fire and annihilate most of enemy ships in just 4 actions.

Now through, turn and jibe seem to be fixed. I mean junk jibe takes 3 consecutive actions (as shown in table), not just 1 as I recall it was in v1.0.2.

Also, there is one more thing to consider when buying a ship: defeating enemy ships via cannons nets around twice more crew and sailor experience than via boarding, e.g:

- via boarding: 600 crew xp + 3 sailor xp + extra loot

- via cannons: 1200 crew xp + 6 sailor xp

Btw, many know, but just in case someone doesn't: you can arrive to Ukaizo with the starting Sloop.

All you need is: Blackwood Hull and Dragonwing Sails.

When you enter the Storm, there are 4 textual-script checks made:

1. hull

2. helmsman rank

3. sails

4. deckhand rank

1. (Important) Blackwood Hull passes. Default Hull, Warship Reinforcement and even The Red Dream fail, resulting in your ship sinking.

2. (Not Important) Helmsman rank should be equal or greater than 3. If it's less the interaction results in: -10 morale and 2 crew member injuries.

3. (Important) Dragonwing Sails passes. Default Sails, Sails of Berath, the new Palm Sails and even Stormwind Sails fail, resulting in your ship sinking.

4. (Not Important) At lease one Deckhand should have rank equal or greater than 3. If it's less, the interaction results in: -10 morale and 3 crew member injuries.

Note: tried these scenarios with a Junk and with a Sloop. No difference. It's not like if you have Sloop than you need the best hull/sails, while if you have Junk you will get through with weaker upgrades.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

The to hit chance is a bit vague. Is it Base for enemy to hit chance? When fighting against Voyager with Junk and Dhow I had a same Base chance of 55.

Edited by Gyg

Yeap. As I understood, that's the base chance to hit a ship of X type.

And it makes sense. It's easier to hit a big junk, than a small and maneuverable voyager.

That chance is further modified by distance, cannon preferred range and cannoneer rank.

Edited by MaxQuest

I went from the starter ship straight to the Junk. I just made no sense to spend money on the middle ships when I could just save for a little bit longer and get the biggest one.

Although, at the end of the game I had so much money I went and bough the other ships just to have them and see what they looked like. I wanted to switch to the galleon since I liked the way it looks, but I couldn't decide which of my crew to fire so I just ended up staying on the Junk.