With the recent crew DLC adding more crew members, I had an idea about how ship crew could be more interestingly incorporated into the game once you've actually recruited them.

Normally when you board an enemy ship, you have your party plus leftover companions fight. If you don't have leftover companions your crew fights.

At moment it is much better to have your companions fight as you can level them for abilities and equip them with leftover but powerful gear (plus their AI routine means they often perform very well).

My idea was to give crew members powerful but unique combat abilities that would be OP for off-ship combat but an interesting addition to ship boarding. Couple that with a way to select who does the above deck fighting and I think it adds a little more interest.

Obviously, we would need harder ship encounters as well, but I'd love to see certain crew members using powerful, unique abilities in these battles.

It should probably be limited those you need to find and recruit, but there's a lot of scope. For example, Rum Dum Riggere in Maje jail could have some sort of flaming rum bottle attack or vithrack crew mates using powerful mind control.

What do you guys think?

I'm wary about leaving more of the victory in the hands of the AI. Also, you can level your crew. Sailor experience is what gains them stars in professions, but they gain regular experience too, worth character levels.

Either way, I do at least support getting to select your boarding helper crew.

(GDI Obsidian, why do two linebreaks turn into one in half my posts)

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I'm wary about leaving more of the victory in the hands of the AI. Also, you can level your crew. Sailor experience is what gains them stars in professions, but they gain regular experience too, worth character levels.

Either way, I do at least support getting to select your boarding helper crew.

(GDI Obsidian, why do two linebreaks turn into one in half my posts)

Oh it's definitely a worry! I'd suggest many of the abilities should be single target or Foe AOE only to help the AI out. I think it would be okay to give crew OP abilities if they're AI controlled and only ever appear in ship battles

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I am not sure to understand the point in hiring more experienced crew members, is this only for a better start ? I mean, after some battles, Chitupec is now  *** (three stars) gunner, is there a point to hire an already 3 stars gunner to replace him ? I understand the more experienced, the more bonus we get, but, will Chitupec which was novice at start grow and come as experienced to a Master gunner, or is there a limit to the experience a crew get (example 2 rank max per crew) ?

Not sure i have been clear enough, but...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

There isn't, unless that three stars cannoneer has no other skill, in which case they can become a four star cannoneer, which Chitupec can't (and this is why we let him drown). Crew can only gain a total of four stars. There are some exceptions (I count four), but these sailors have their >4 stars already when you recruit them.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

With cannoneers the difference between 4 and 3 stars is quite significant. Only master cannoneers cause special events on hit quite reliably. It makes ship fights a lot easier if the enemy captain has to send in crew to fix flooding or fetch crew that went over board instead of firing their cannons at you.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods