[Idea] Buff for Godlikes due to locked head slot (powerful headgear)

Hello all,

while Godlikes do have better racial abilities from the beginning, the locked head slot makes them worse in comparison to other Races late-game. Some of the better enchantments on late-game head gear includes:

- Shootist: +5 Ranged Accuracy, -20% Reload Time
- Hawk-eye: +2 Perception, 15% of Hits coverted to Crits with Ranged weapons
- Duelist: +25% Action Speed with Daggers, Rapiers, and stilettos
- Deadly Acumen: +2 Intellect +2 Power level for all poison keyword abilities
- Divine Knowledge: +2 Intellect, +1 Religion
- Raptor's Grip: -10% Recovery time with two-handed Melee weapons
- Pallid Countenance: +1 enemies Engaged, +1 Intellect, +1 Perception

Id like to propose Godlikes to receive their parent races stat bonuses in addition to their Godlike stat bonuses and abilities. Some examples:

Human Death Godlike: Death's Usher, Pallid Fate and

+1 Might, +1 Resolve, +1 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence

Aumaua Fire Godlike: Battle-Forged, Ashen Skin and

+2 Might, +1 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence

Elf Moon Godlike: Silver Tide and

+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence, +1 Perception

Dwarf Nature Godlike: Wellspring of Life and

+2 Might, +1 Intelligence

Edited by Falk Schütze
  • Like 5

I actually recall Josh’s saying, probably during one of the early QAs, that Godlike would get an extra racial ability to make up for the missing head slot—specifically because headgear in Deadfire’s pretty good.

When the beta was released, it was obvious that it didn’t happen—Nature Godlike was the only worthwhile one, racial ability wise, and mostly only for casters.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I actually recall Josh’s saying, probably during one of the early QAs, that Godlike would get an extra racial ability to make up for the missing head slot—specifically because headgear in Deadfire’s pretty good.

Yeap, he did say that. Here's an excerpt from transcript #7:

A: Will the changes to how the bonuses from items work, headgear will presumably be a bit more important to characters. Do you plan on rejiggering races with this in mind?

JS: Yes. Almost all of the racial passives have been changed. Usually made more powerful. For the Godlike they all have two bonuses instead of just one. That is to make up for the fact that they can't wear headgear, and headgear, not that you find a ton of it, but when you do find it it tends to be pretty good.

(source)

Iirc the idea was that one godlike racial will be on par with other non-godlike racials. While their second racial will be scalling, and will be compensating for the locked headslot; and have a similar impact to the hats you can find, mediocre at the early-mid game, and stronger in the late game.

P.S. But.. Moon Godlikes have only one racial atm. And btw Silver Tide is still not scalling, right?

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 3

This'd definitely help make godlikes more viable, and would also fit the lore/RP point of view. As it is now, playing godlike's a flavor choice at best, and the existing racials are rather lackluster aside from the nature godlike.

• Like 1

Yes, actually no worth to lose a slot for that.

Moon godlike over nerfed (POE1)

Nature, same. (Recent nerf)

Fire and death = need to be under 50 % health.

Finally there is not killer app with this kind of counterpart...

Edited by theBalthazar

Not all Godlike bonusses are equal. I feel they are quite weak for some.

Fire Godlike has a +1 armor and paltry fire damage riposte when almost dead. I think the human passive is more useful AND they can use a helmet.

Moon Godlike has a decent AoE heal. Very useful in certain situations, but otherwise unremarkable

Death Godlike has +20% Damage against all targets that are Near Death. Good for a reliable damage buff.

Nature Godlike has +2 power level when self buffing which is completely overpowered if you ask me. For Monks this means a +30% instant damage bonus. That's far more powerful than Death Godlike.

I feel Fire Godlike should have either fire immunity or bonus penetration on fire or something. They are the weakest race at the moment.

• Like 1

Nature Godlike’s bonus is +1 since 1.1 landed.

Fire and Moon Godlike should scale with level imo. Not sure about Death Godlike.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Nature Godlike’s bonus is +1 since 1.1 landed.

Fire and Moon Godlike should scale with level imo. Not sure about Death Godlike.

You're correct I just read that. Well that's a good change to Nature Godlike. Even if they scale with level I think the Fire Godlike is really not in Vogue with the race at all. I prefer my suggestions. DR makes no sense unless it is fire. I would expect this with a different Race.

And Fire Godlike has +3 fire resist. PALE ELVES HAVE +4!!!!!!! Your MFing hair is on fire!!! how are you not immune? Why is a weak tiny elf better resistant to fire than a creature MADE FROM FIRE??

/rant

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

Old information is Fixed.

- Shootist: +5 Ranged Accuracy, -20 -10% Reload Time
- Hawk-eye: +2 +1 Perception, 15% 5% of Hits coverted to Crits with Ranged weapons
- Duelist: +25% +10% Action Speed with Daggers, Rapiers, and stilettos
- Deadly Acumen: +2 Intellect +2 +1 Power level for all poison keyword abilities

Maybe something else has been reduced - see Patch Nootes 1.1

And i think that the godlike are don't need amplification. (Or only need small buff for Fire-Godlike?)
Total +3 or +4 points to attributes - this is strong. (Or this will can work only for condition on <50% health, as humans talent?)

Edited by Khagmas

And Fire Godlike has +3 fire resist. PALE ELVES HAVE +4!!!!!!! Your MFing hair is on fire!!! how are you not immune? Why is a weak tiny elf better resistant to fire than a creature MADE FROM FIRE??

Perhaps it only provides fire protection to the head? Dunno.  :cat:

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hello all,

while Godlikes do have better racial abilities from the beginning, the locked head slot makes them worse in comparison to other Races late-game. Some of the better enchantments on late-game head gear includes:

- Shootist: +5 Ranged Accuracy, -20% Reload Time

- Hawk-eye: +2 Perception, 15% of Hits coverted to Crits with Ranged weapons

- Duelist: +25% Action Speed with Daggers, Rapiers, and stilettos

- Deadly Acumen: +2 Intellect +2 Power level for all poison keyword abilities

Id like to propose Godlikes to receive their parent races stat bonuses in addition to their Godlike stat bonuses and abilities. Some examples:

Human Death Godlike: Death's Usher, Pallid Fate and

+1 Might, +1 Resolve, +1 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence

Aumaua Fire Godlike: Battle-Forged, Ashen Skin and

+2 Might, +1 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence

Elf Moon Godlike: Silver Tide and

+2 Dexterity, +1 Intelligence, +1 Perception

Dwarf Nature Godlike: Wellspring of Life and

+2 Might, +1 Intelligence

use end-game gear to balance races is a suspect approach, particular as more than a couple items you have listed has been nerfed significant. even if items weren't nerfed, we would think the genesis poster were angling to get a bust in the munchkin hall o' fame.

more serious: maybe add a couple points o' strength for death godlikes when they is suffering a constitution affliction? am not seeing a need to improve godlikes, but if they do need an upgrade, it should be minor and/or highly conditional.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hello all,

while Godlikes do have better racial abilities from the beginning, the locked head slot makes them worse in comparison to other Races late-game.

Isn't that supposed to be the trade-off, though?  If godlikes start off with an advantage over other kith before everyone is kitted up, and if they break even by the endgame, then godlikes are better overall.  And the races are supposed to be balanced.

That said, I do like the idea of godlike inheriting at least some aspect of their "parent" race.  Doesn't make sense that an aumaua-sized godlike aren't generally stronger than orlun-sized godlikes, for example.

Hello all,

while Godlikes do have better racial abilities from the beginning, the locked head slot makes them worse in comparison to other Races late-game.

Isn't that supposed to be the trade-off, though?  If godlikes start off with an advantage over other kith before everyone is kitted up, and if they break even by the endgame, then godlikes are better overall.  And the races are supposed to be balanced.

That said, I do like the idea of godlike inheriting at least some aspect of their "parent" race.  Doesn't make sense that an aumaua-sized godlike aren't generally stronger than orlun-sized godlikes, for example.

You can balance in different ways. Making them all the same is not realistic. Look at how D&D handles their Tieflings and Yuan-ti Purebloods. They ARE more powerful than the other races because they have better stats and spell or elemental resistances that the other races simply don't have. They do level more slowly to make up for it. But a level 30 Yuan-ti Pureblood is more powerful than a level 30 human or elf.
  • Like 2

Hello all,

Isn't that supposed to be the trade-off, though? If godlikes start off with an advantage over other kith before everyone is kitted up, and if they break even by the endgame, then godlikes are better overall. And the races are supposed to be balanced.

That said, I do like the idea of godlike inheriting at least some aspect of their "parent" race. Doesn't make sense that an aumaua-sized godlike aren't generally stronger than orlun-sized godlikes, for example.

You can balance in different ways. Making them all the same is not realistic. Look at how D&D handles their Tieflings and Yuan-ti Purebloods. They ARE more powerful than the other races because they have better stats and spell or elemental resistances that the other races simply don't have. They do level more slowly to make up for it. But a level 30 Yuan-ti Pureblood is more powerful than a level 30 human or elf.

D&D no longer has level adjustment and doesn't do **** to try to balance for race. It's now up to the player and the DM to "balance" the game, which is how it should be.

D&D is a tabletop and as such requires different balancing rules to weed out the munchkins anyways.

• Like 1

A possible bonus would be a godlike-only Special Ability that allows you to scale up the racial benefits. I.e. you can become ever more attuned to your divine nature, amplifying the bonuses.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

A possible bonus would be a godlike-only Special Ability that allows you to scale up the racial benefits. I.e. you can become ever more attuned to your divine nature, amplifying the bonuses.

There's a necklace that kinda does that.  It's underwhelming, IIRC.