I use the Blessings all the time because, simply put, they increase my enjoyment of the game.

I would not, however, build a character around them. A good build works without the Blessings, IMO, and doesn’t need them. Including a section in the build where you detail how the Blessings could be used with it to great effect, on the other hand, can be a good practice.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You absolutely will, even more so with high resolve characters. You will live longer, do more damage, get hit less, get disabled less, etc. Just because you won't see a significant difference in any one area doesn't mean that you aren't going to notice the overall improvement. Thats like saying that saving change isn't important, because what difference does 15 cents make?

You missed the point almost completely.

Of course there's a difference, but it's insignificant - without checking their stats or the logs you wouldn't be able to say who has the boon. It's like when you go to the grocery and buy something labeled "bio" - you pay more, you can't tell the difference, but you hope it will make a difference in the long run... ;)

If you don't understand the math, don't pretend to.

Exactly, keep that in mind next time you post...

• Like 1

I've only played through the game once, and I'll probably wait until all three DLCs are released to play again, but when I do, I will use every blessing that I can. I earned the points to buy those bonuses, and I will use them.

Edited by Willownen

You absolutely will, even more so with high resolve characters. You will live longer, do more damage, get hit less, get disabled less, etc. Just because you won't see a significant difference in any one area doesn't mean that you aren't going to notice the overall improvement. Thats like saying that saving change isn't important, because what difference does 15 cents make?

You missed the point almost completely.

Of course there's a difference, but it's insignificant - without checking their stats or the logs you wouldn't be able to say who has the boon. It's like when you go to the grocery and buy something labeled "bio" - you pay more, you can't tell the difference, but you hope it will make a difference in the long run... ;)

If you don't understand the math, don't pretend to.

I am sorry but ..  telling Keylon to understand math .. lol very amusing.

On topic, for the similar reasons as others. The bonuses make the beginning of the game faster to get through and since I constantly restart with different setups, I've seen all there is to see there around 40 times already. 

Obviously he didn't understand the math. Unless you don't think +8 all defenses save deflection, +20% to 10% damage (depending on how far in the game you are), ~5% extra duration, ~10% extra area, 5-7.5% extra health, and 3-5% less incoming weapon weapon damage, is insignificant, you did the math wrong. Those are pretty conservative values too, mostly assuming the difference between 18 and 20 in a stat, or 13 and 15.

Edited by George_Truman

Obviously he didn't understand the math. Unless you don't think +8 all defenses save deflection, +20% to 10% damage (depending on how far in the game you are), ~5% extra duration, ~10% extra area, 5-10% extra health, and 3-5% less incoming weapon weapon damage, is insignificant, you did the math wrong. Those are pretty conservative values too, mostly assuming the difference between 18 and 20 in a stat, or 13 and 15.

The reason that he said that it is funny when you said Kaylon didn't understand the math is that Kaylon is the one that posts the most sophisticated mathematical analyses of things like dps and recovery speed, etc., way back to PoE1 (if I recall correctly; could be confusing him with MaxQuest). So it can't be that he doesn't understand the math. He just doesn't agree that those bonuses are "significant" when you realize how many other bonuses you get in the game (from power level, gear, etc.).

Edited by TheMetaphysician

Again, those numbers are at least somewhat taking those things into account. A the defensive bonuses also get better with more gear. Each piece might seem insignificant, but they add up to something that is definitely more than negligible. 

All of the small effects add up. You do more damage, kill enemies faster, then take less damage. Debuffs take less time and don't hit/crit as often, so you take less damage and do more damage, also reducing the damage you take etc.

Its even more noticeable if you are soloing. When you play as a party the effect of each character is drowned out. When you are playing with just one dude those stat boons have 5x the impact.

Edited by George_Truman

Again, those numbers are at least somewhat taking those things into account. A the defensive bonuses also get better with more gear. Each piece might seem insignificant, but they add up to something that is definitely more than negligible. 

All of the small effects add up. You do more damage, kill enemies faster, then take less damage. Debuffs take less time and don't hit/crit as often, so you take less damage and do more damage, also reducing the damage you take etc.

Its even more noticeable if you are soloing. When you play as a party the effect of each character is drowned out. When you are playing with just one dude those stat boons have 5x the impact.

Fine. I frankly don't care about the debate. You can just make those points without saying that your interlocutor "doesn't understand the math."

• Like 3

You are right sorry I was rude.

This is wonderful. I never fail to be astonished when, on these forums (and other video game forums I frequent), people get into spats, and then de-escalate, apologize, and reconcile. Before I started being active on video game forums, I would have thought this impossible online. These communities really are pretty wonderful, and I salute you, sir, for this display of character.

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 4

Oh, and for what it is worth, George_Truman, I do find your arguments pretty persuasive that the Blessing bonuses all add up to something significant, though "significant' is a pretty vague term, and I don't have a very good sense for how significant those bonuses are.

One way to see that they are significant is to just look at the lump sum of the bonuses: +12 overall. +12 in one stat, or +6 in two stats, are pretty obviously significant, so that is a point in favor of your view on this. One limitation is that you won't be able to engineer the +6 in the stats that are most important to your build, since those will already be maxed or close, so the bonuses will come in the next tier of stats. That seems more significant for some builds than for others.

• Like 2

The +2 all stats blessing is worth somewhere between 1 and 2 character levels worth of effectiveness - worth almost exactly 2 if you count the extra skills, talents, power levels and proficiencies at zero.  Its main benefit is that it holds its value throughout the game, even after you've hit max level, have more than enough gold for all gear upgrades - and doesn't get washed out by level scaling.

In terms of very early game difficulty, the start at level 4 blessing (without being blunted by scaling) and even the 'start with fine equipment' blessings are higher impact.

Oh, and for what it is worth, George_Truman, I do find your arguments pretty persuasive that the Blessing bonuses all add up to something significant, though "significant' is a pretty vague term, and I don't have a very good sense for how significant those bonuses are.

Agreed. I think the posters involved knows about the benefits of stats. But the main disagreement is on the term "significant".

As the game progresses, the +2 will get increasingly dwarfed by the bonuses from skills, levels and items. However, the hardest part of the current Deadfire version is at the start where the scaling is adjusted a "wee bit" in favour of the enemies, and where there is a general lack of options at the player's disposal. In a part of the playthrough (at least on PotD) where you see advise being in the line of split pulling or body-blocking tight access points, Blessings is another option to make life easier at that point in the game.

Edited by mosspit